Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Halal/Kosher meat to be labelled

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    grace wrote: »
    Youtube's filtered, what was the video of?

Oh, it was a comparison video of a 'stun gun' and a 'halal' execution of a cow. The latter struggled and writhed with blood gushing everywhere for a few minutes. Wasn't nice to see so you can take my word for it. *hugs*
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    meat is meat to me

I read an article about a sociopath a short while ago and he stated the same thing during his interviews, regarding his cruelty to animals. :nervous:

(Although I'm quite sure that you are not one ;) )
  • Options
    I think many people are using animal welfare as an excuse to bash Muslims.
    Oh, it was a comparison video of a 'stun gun' and a 'halal' execution of a cow. The latter struggled and writhed with blood gushing everywhere for a few minutes. Wasn't nice to see so you can take my word for it. *hugs*
    Was it from a film called Earthlings?

I think all people should watch this... It's one of the few films I had to turn off.

Unofficial Trailer - It may make some people uncomfortable

The Kosher section of Earthlings is completely rank. It shows a cow spraying blood everywhere, writhing in distress. It also shows a pig being mutilated, lame chickens ect

People can watch it on Youtube. :)
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

What, on this thread? I haven't seen it.

I find it remarkable that we've got to three pages on the subject of eating animals without it descending into the usual overly-emotional name calling! :D
  • Options
    What, on this thread? I haven't seen it.

I mean in general, sorry. Not pointing any fingers at people on thesite.
    I find it remarkable that we've got to three pages on the subject of eating animals without it descending into the usual overly-emotional name calling! :D
    And so far Stargalaxy hasn't used the word c*nt.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

That's unfair. We're bashing Jews as well. ;)

Nah, I know what you mean. There seem to be a wave of people who appear to be particularly concerned with halal slaughter methods who have never shown any interest in animal welfare until the subject turned to a particular muslim practice. However, I don't think you can include me (or anyone who's contributed to this thread) in that group. I'm pretty sure I've started threads on animal welfare on this site before, or at least participated in them. What you can accuse me of, however, is using animal welfare issues to bash religious privilege in our society. But then I make no apology for that.
  • Options
    I kill my own chickens often.
    It's messy but it's over and done with pretty quick.
    And the difference in taste is remarkable.
    They don't get much fresher than home killed.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    A comparison for your viewing pleasure (not for the squeamish) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQOKQ__3vQw
    The main thing I got from the video is how the whole Halal slaughter 'ritual' doesn't seem much like a ritual at all. How this exact method is supposed to appease a god is beyond me - but I guess if I agreed, I'd be a Muslim.

Slightly more on topic, I definitely think at the least this meat should be labelled as such. I agree with I'm With Stupid that it makes no sense for this method of killing to be allowed because of someone's superstition.

Apparently draining the blood prevents infection (really?), but this could easily be done immediately after a bolt to the head, or electric shock or whatever.
  • Options
    Western meat is also bled as are my chickens.
    Game isn't usually bled though.
    The reason western style meat is bled is from the old Christian days of blood being sacred in the Bible and therefore banned for consumption ...not to be taken ...eaten etc.
  • Options
    Like most of these rules, it was good practice in the past. But now we have better ways of dealing with such problems, and it only continues because apparently a few thousand years ago, "it will make you sick" wasn't a good enough reason, it had to be "God said so."