Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sewing Machine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think this is in the right thread, as im sure you creative people will know something about sewing machines! But if the mods feel its better else where, then feel free to move :)

I want a sewing machine, I have for a long time! Not for making clothes or anything like that, (even though i wouldnt mind trying) but its more for my art work, i like sewing into paper and materials that are around that area!

Do you know anywhere that I could get a good one, it doesnt have to be amazing, just one that does the job :)

Obviously I dont want to be spending loadsssss, so i would say 80 is my limit, do you reckon I could get an alright one for that? I would even mind if its 2nd hand!

EDIT: I also want it to do the nice fancy stitching, and also it needs to be able to fit an embroidary foot onto it!

EDIT2: I've found this, http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4602284/Trail/searchtext%3ESEWING+MACHINES.htm and also this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4260743/Trail/searchtext%3ESEWING+MACHINES.htm

But im guessing the cheaper one wont do the fancy zig zagging stitch or have room from an embroidary foot :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is a post I did from ages ago on this very subject! Sorry for the laziness, but it says everything I'd want to :)
    haha thankyou! So im guessing the two that i picked probally arnt the best to go with then?
    The second, definitely not! The first one might be ok, it looks pretty sturdy, but for that money I'd be tempted to get a second-hand branded one. Like I said, the second hand ones are absolutely fine - you can use 100 year old ones that still work perfectly!

Also found this on Tesco direct which would be a good bet for the price!:

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-3277.aspx
    ooooooooo thank you! that looks really good! does it have the zig zag stitches and room for an embroidary foot? i know it sounds bad that I dont even know what im looking for or if a certain sewing machine does what! but i really do know how to work one :blush:
    Do you have a sewing machine shop near you? I'd be inclined to go for a good second-hand machine rather than a cheaper new one. There are lots of good makes that have been producing reliable machines for years, and you'll get many more bells and whistles for your money buying second hand. Also a good shop will give you a tutorial.

My own machine is a Husqvarna, but Elna, Singer, and Brother are also good.
    Not if I go into nottingham, I dont think anything around here has any sewing shops, we have a really good, well known fabric store, but thats probally the nearest thing. Im going to have a look in the 2nd hand shops in town on monday, but I have a feeling that none of them will have any, but you never know!

EDIT: Also, say if i did find a niffty sewing machine in a charity shop, but came without a bobbin, is it farely easy/simple to find the right bobbin? As I dont want to get one for dirt cheap, then find that I cant find the right foot, or bobbin....
    Not if I go into nottingham, I dont think anything around here has any sewing shops, we have a really good, well known fabric store, but thats probally the nearest thing.

I did a quick search on the Internet. Assuming you are not interested in industrial machines (usually very powerful but with less functions than domestic machines), you have

Field Textiles (Brewery House, Station Road, Bulwell, Nottingham NG6 9AA, Tel. 01159 797676): not much info but they seem to have a couple of good reviews for used machines.

Also, Ilkestone Sewing and Janome Centre

The Nottingham Husqvana Centre: The machines on their website seem shockingly expensive, but they might be worth a phone call, as they have been making great sewing machines for years and they might be able to advise on a good model to look out for.

Husqvana use a proprietary bobbin, but most of the others use one of two types, both readily available from good haberdashers. I would expect a second-hand machine to come with its original tools and accessories, which should include more than one bobbin.
    im going to bump this thread! i've got a singer 2263 tradition machine, i want to buy a embroidary foot for it, any ideas? I cant really find any?
    Any of these any good?
    they could be!

I've emailed the seller to see if it will fit my machine!

thank you!