Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Epilator.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are they any good?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    they hurt. i had a go and gave up.
    I like mine. Was a bit stingy at first, but you get used to it. Quite a lot to shell out if it's not your thing, though.
    Meh, I guess it depends on how annoying you find shaving. I don't find shaving to be that much of a problem, so don't think the pain of epilating is worth the tradeoff.
    From what I've heard, they're effective, but they do hurt. I tried my mate's one once just on my leg - ouch, especially on the shin. Oh, and she once got a rather sensitive bit of her anatomy caught in it, but that's another story...
    a machine that rips out hair. Sounds like an ancient torture device. :D

But I am not complaining, mind. I love the hassles girls endure to be pretty so ogling them makes me happier :p
    I don't think they hurt that bad. I find it an oddly satisfying kind of pain - like scratching an itch!

Does give me what looks like a rash for a good few hours afterwards, though, so it's not as good as shaving if you need to go straight out!
    Why not try hot wax? All you need is a tub of the special wax (which you can heat in a saucepan, microwave or special hotplate), applicator sticks, removal strips and azulene oil (removes sticky wax residue and soothes skin).

No more painful than an epilator (probably less), easy to do yourself at home and proven effective.
    There's a hair remover recipe at the bottom of his this page http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/growyourowndrugs/s2_episode4.shtml
    On his show when he removed the hair he didn't seem to flinch so it didn't seem like he was in any pain. It could differ from person to person of course. I'm going to try it sometime.
    They are good yes and certainly worth the cost , but they do take a little time to get used to because of the pain but i guess it depends on the individual and how much you need to use it. I actually prefer a wax but its jsut so much less hassle with the Epilator.
    My first attempt at using one was on the bikini area... then it went in the garbage :p
    my name wrote: »
    My first attempt at using one was on the bikini area... then it went in the garbage :p

:eek: ** winces **
    my name wrote: »
    That just made me clench from the thought :eek2:
    Why not try hot wax? All you need is a tub of the special wax (which you can heat in a saucepan, microwave or special hotplate), applicator sticks, removal strips and azulene oil (removes sticky wax residue and soothes skin).

No more painful than an epilator (probably less), easy to do yourself at home and proven effective.

I've tried waxing and I cried.
    Heh - don't get an epilator then!
    If you can put up with waxing pain then its fine, and much simpler and no mess, so I love mine. And they definitely hurt less the more you use them.
    i have one...admittedly only use it once haha

but it was quite effective if a bit painful - im going to try and use mine in the bath as i have that type, so perhaps if you had one like that and used it under the warm water it would hurt less?:chin:

if you want a hair free bikini line...you ll wont care what you do to get rid of it !
    I thought they hurt less than waxing does?
    I'm gonna get one!
    lyric wrote: »
    I thought they hurt less than waxing does?
    They're basically pulling your hair out with tweezers.

I imagine that hurts a lot.
    But waxing is pulling your hair out too. With hot wax!
    The wax is hot so that it softens the skin (like showers do, so if you're going to get an epilator get a shower one). Grab a pair of tweezers and try pulling hair out of your leg with it. I guarantee it will hurt more than waxing. Then imagine that on a larger area.
    They hurt the same as waxing, imo. It's just that waxing is a short, sharp pain, and epilating is over much more time.

If waxing hurts you, epilating will too. But if you're ok with one, you'll be ok with the other. Depends how you do with that kind of pain - people vary.
    What keeps the hairs away longest?
    Well waxing and epilating are doing the exact same job, which is pulling the hair out at the root, so both will last equally long.

As Kaff pointed out, the only difference between waxing and epilating is the length of time it takes for the hair to be removed - in waxing it's pulled out in one swift movement, whereas you move the epilator over your legs in the same way you would a razor, so it's slower. But the effect is the same.

Both obviously last longer than shaving or hair removal creams, as these only remove the hair as far as the surface of your skin, so don't pull it out by the root.
    have the braun silk epil and it's ok. i dont find leg epilation painful but i tried it on my underarms and nearly climbed the walls. i dont find wax or epilation gets u as silky smooth as shaving though.