Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Letting Friends Down over Housing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I'm currently enjoying my summer holiday of uni before I go back for my third year, and I am having problems with housing and friends. Me being the overly practical type, I already found a house and some new people to live with months ago. I signed the contract and have payed the deposit, ready to move in and start paying rent in september.

A couple of my friends from uni had their own housing arangements fall through and are now looking for somewhere else to live, and want me to move in with them. I said I would consider it but so far we have not found a house we have all liked. I also dont want to live in a worse/more expensive house than the one I already have.

Now I feel that I should just stick with the house I have already got, but feel like I am really letting my friends down by not living with them. They both have already said that they don't blame me for wanting to keep the house I have already got sorted and that it wont effect our friendship.

But I still feel bad for my friends, arrrrrrgh! Confused!

Comments

• Options
    Surely it will be a lot of hasle for you to get out of the contact you have already signed? If you are happy where you are then I would stay there. Your friends have each other, it's not as if there is just one of them who has noone to live with and asking you. I'm sure they can quite easily find somewhere for the two of them, or find someone else to move in with them.

You're not letting them down because you never promised to move in with them in the first place. You've already sorted somewhere to live, they can hardly be angry about that, or expect you to change your plans to fit in with them.

I'm sure they understand the situation you are in, I wouldn't wory.
  • Options
    If you were to pull out of your existing arrangement now, you would be letting down the new people you had already agreed to move in with! As Kat_B already said, you never promised your friends you'd move in with them, so I'd stick to your original plan, and let them find something for themselves x
  • Options
    I agree with the above, stick with your plans. You can feel sorry for them, you can try to help, but don't shaft yourself in the process.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies people,

I talked to my friends and explained how its not fair to the people I'd already organised to live with, and how its too expensive to bail now.

Thankfully they said they understand and don't blame me. It would have been cool to live together tho, maybe next year if we all get onto a post grad course it could be an option!