Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tranexamic Acid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all

I've just been to chat to the doctor about my contraception; I've been getting agonising cramps since I had a coil fitted.

He's given me a prescription for tranexamic acid, and me being me, I've had a look at it on t'internet and most of what I've found says that tranexamic acid is for heavy bleeding but does not affect dysmennorhea.

Anyone else been precribed this for painful periods or know anything about it?

Comments

• Options
    Tranexamic acid is used for menstrual bleeding but he may, in this instance, be trying to start you off on less powerful drugs to see how you get on. I'd take it, if I were you, and then contact him again if there is no improvement.
  • Options
    How long have you had your coil. Mine was really really awful for 6 months, like labour only worse! Much bette now although the heavy bleeding is still getting to me.
  • Options
    I've had it since April of last year. I love everything else about it; no hormones so no weight gain, acne, mood swings, nada - and I don't have to remember to take a pill every day or go to the doctor's..... but boy oh boy does it hurt when P-day swings by!

Did you find it was a very different kind of pain to usual cramps? For me it's a stabbing, twisting pain that comes in waves and almost feels like it's happening 'round the back' (if you catch my drift.....) It goes away for ten minutes/half an hour and then I'm on the floor again. Rubbish.
  • Options
    it might help