Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Drug Testing & Schools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In the U.S., from the football team to the debate team--even if there is no reason to suspect a student of drug abuse, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that public school students in extracurricular activities can be subjected to mandatory drug testing.

Before this ruling, schools were allowed to test athletes, but a majority of them did not.

Those for this say that the testing will be beneficial in deterring drug use among students and some want to see this testing expanded to students who aren't in after-schools activities as well.

The American Civil Liberties Union says that implementing this plan would be a violation of the Fourth Amendment, which states that people and property are not to be searched without probable cause.

Those for this respond that because these students are representing their school, they have less privacy than the other students do.

What do you think?

Do you think this would be appropiate in the UK?

Is this already being done in the UK?

Full Story

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd imagine that extra curricular activities (e.g the american equivalent of sports day) would be taken more seriously over there than it is here. So the need to drug test would likely be greater in the US than in the UK.

I'd personally think it would be a waste of time, certainly in the UK. OK it would deter cheating (and possibly recreational drug use too) but I think only a very, very small minority of school age students would even consider using performance enhancers or mind stimulating drugs in extra curricular school activities, so I would doubt whether it would be worth it.
    lol, I can't even begin to imagine that people use performance enhancing drugs before sports day, if they do then they are head cases. If its recreational drugs they are trying to detect then I would support the idea, drugs are not for children and they will cause far more damage at that age. But the question arises what do you do with someone who gives a positive sample, a model student, destined for good grades ? Kick him/her out ? Surely that would be a complete joke situation.
    Extracurricular activities include band, chorus, the chess team, the debate team, sports, etc---The extras that don’t relate to the school curriculum. The students involved in the competitive ones, as the ones listed above, are subject to drug testing without probable cause.

It isn’t only performance enhancing drugs that are being tested for, but illegal drugs in all.

I’m not sure what would happen if a student tested positive, but I’m guessing it would probably result in a suspension. At the schools that had programs like this already, very few students have tested positive.

Is it deterrence or is it just luck?

Is this a violation of the students’ rights, they are randomly picked for the drug test?
    Its like the police force over here, they are refusing to test and ban police officers for cannabis, why lose perfectly good police officers ?

If they wish to test fair enough, its how they deal with positive results that worries me
    There are drugs tests at my school if they think they're warranted, but you can refuse to take them and they're only instigated if you've been caught in the past or are acting really strangely. System seems to work pretty well.
    Originally posted by J
    Americans fight and die for freedom, then let their government take it away. Very odd?

Well, is it O.K to take away the freedom to murder ? The law is the law, regardless if you agree with it or disagree with it it has to be applied, this is school kids we are talking about, they aren't adults able to base a sensible opinion on the use of drugs.
    Originally posted by ebb
    lol, I can't even begin to imagine that people use performance enhancing drugs before sports day, if they do then they are head cases. If its recreational drugs they are trying to detect then I would support the idea, drugs are not for children and they will cause far more damage at that age. But the question arises what do you do with someone who gives a positive sample, a model student, destined for good grades ? Kick him/her out ? Surely that would be a complete joke situation.

When it comes to drugs then many of the US laws are draconian to say the least.
    Property that is only tangibly connected with the drugs offence can be seized, and prison sentences for posession are often greater than the ones given to rapists and other violent offenders. The average for a rapist is 5 years. Someone caught with soft drugs for personal use will recieve on average 7 years.
    The US "war agaist drugs" went past the silly stage some time ago. I think now they're just continueing with it to see how far they can take it....

Same trick as the "war agaist terror".
    you call it a war to garuentee that you have public support, you have the right to legally silence press that does not support it, and you get away with killing innocent people.

Added to that, you stand a much better chance of a second term as US president if you win a war....
    That, i think, is why bush started dropping bombs less than 24 hours after becoming president.