Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Unemployment to go through the roof?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
3 million unemployed?

Does anybody else feel a tad worried about this article?

Obviously, we'll have to wait and see what cuts are going to be made but of course, a lot of people are going to be hit hard.

I know somebody who works in a public sector dole call centre which apparently already struggles with the huge amount of work. With a freeze on recruitment and lay offs throughout a lot of the government departments, one has to wonder how things are gonna cope...

What do you people think?

Is it reasonable to have 725, 000 more unemployed to save putting taxes up?

I mean provided the predictions are right...

Anybody got any back up plans?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm already 9 months unemployed, sent off almost 100 job apps plus 33 covering letters/CV and I have nothing to show for it. If I'm still unemployed in early 2011, I will contemplate jumping in front of a train at an undisclosed location and undisclosed time.
    It'll get worse before it gets better. But we either act now or the cuts you see will be even worse (look at Greece or the measures they're having to put in place in Ireland). I don't think there's any doubt it will lead to 2-3 year increase in unemployment - which may hit 3million.

But there's a number of unknowables (at least known unknowns).

1) what happens to the European, Asian and US economies - if they continue to sink we'll be hit as well. If they recover it'll be better for us

2) Will the bank share prices recover and how mucg the Govt will have to cover in liabilities. Above 50p and we make a profit on RBS (though whether that will cover the bad debts depends on how many of them aren't repaid - continued low interest rates gives a better rate of recovery)

3) What's cut - you reduce regulations it'll lead to some unemployment in those enforcing it, but it'll be better for business and allow them to recruit more. Conversely if you cut infrastructure it saves civil service jobs, but the contractors who build it lay people off.

4) what taxes rise - there will be tax raises. And all the evidence shows that too high taxes actually reduce the tax rate (less from avoidance and more from people thinking they're not going to do the extra work or invest in the capital

The report could be true - but the wrong decisions will make it worse and the right decision will make it better
    ^ Thanks for the info :)

You're right in that there are a lot of different things which could affect recovery.
    I'm already 9 months unemployed, sent off almost 100 job apps plus 33 covering letters/CV and I have nothing to show for it. If I'm still unemployed in early 2011, I will contemplate jumping in front of a train at an undisclosed location and undisclosed time.
    Sorry to hear you're having a shit time... :(
    I hope I'm completely wrong when I say this, but unemployment is going to rise yet further in the next year or so, at least. What happens after that, it's harder to say.

We'll start getting a clearer picture after the Emergency Budget on 22nd June. Until then, there's not a lot more that can be said for certain.
    Compared with Spain, the prospects here are positively rosy. 20% unemployment over there, and 40% amongst the 18-25 age group.
    I'm finishing my job in a month. I had to interview my potential replacements. They were all in their 50s with decades of experience. I think that says it all.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Compared with Spain, the prospects here are positively rosy. 20% unemployment over there, and 40% amongst the 18-25 age group.
    Good to know...

BUT the thread isn't about which is worse, the UK or Spain... Sure, we have better figures than Spain, but what consolation is that for people struggling to find a job?

"Don't worry mate. I know you've been unemployed a year, but in Spain, unemployment is harder"
    Well what can you say? Good luck?

Lets face it, its hard getting a job here, but much worse over there. That is a fact, and if I was looking for a job it would still be at least a consolation.
    I'm going to be joining them again soon. I'm worse off having a job.
    Well what can you say? Good luck?

Lets face it, its hard getting a job here, but much worse over there. That is a fact, and if I was looking for a job it would still be at least a consolation.
    The point I meant was that even though Spain is worse off, it doesn't make the situation any better for people unemployed in the UK (though they do have a more generous benefits system). It may be consolation for you in a hypothetical situation... But for people who have had knock backs and who have sent out hundreds of applications, it may not mean anything. You may feel a bit more positive that you're not jobhunting in Spain, walking to the Jobcentre across minefields in Cambodia, or slaving in a Bangladeshi sweatshop, but it's still a crappy situation.
    Namaste wrote: »
    It's like saying to a car crash survivor who has lost a leg "oh well just be happy you haven't lost two", when it wasn't their fault. Like they should feel lucky for just having one leg due to somebody else's reckless driving. By having one leg, walking may be easier in the future, but as somebody with two legs, we can't just assume that the person should not feel some frustration because hey, it could be worse!

Well it could be worse, they might indeed feel lucky to be alive, to not have both arms and legs amputated.

Yes not having a job is pretty bad in times of need, but I dont think it warrants comparing things to people who can never feed themselves or walk to the shops etc, I think your job hunting pales into comparison for that.

No amount of benefits in the world can make someones legs grow back, however benefits can help you just survive monetary wise.
    Namaste wrote: »
    3 million unemployed?

Does anybody else feel a tad worried about this article?

yes.

i am a public sector worker. not only that but i'm a in a role that soon may no longer exist.

if i lose my job, i'll be screwed. theres not much i can do about it though so theres no point worrying about it.
    G wrote: »
    Well it could be worse, they might indeed feel lucky to be alive, to not have both arms and legs amputated.

Yes not having a job is pretty bad in times of need, but I dont think it warrants comparing things to people who can never feed themselves or walk to the shops etc, I think your job hunting pales into comparison for that.

No amount of benefits in the world can make someones legs grow back, however benefits can help you just survive monetary wise.

So because there are people who have it worse than me, that means I shouldn't be unhappy with the fact that the likelihood of me getting a job is almost 0?

I did an arts degree that I couldn't even finish on time because of being a total headcase, and I have no real experience. I can't get a graduate job because even if I was going to graduate, it wouldn't be with a good enough degree. I can't get even a sodding admin job because I did an arts degree and I worked at McDonalds for three and a half years so I have no experience. There may well be more jobs in London but there's also a whole lot more people better than me applying for them.

Just because someone has the risk of having their legs blown off, that doesn't make being unemployed any easier.
    All im saying is that the situation could be worse, much worse than it is for many people. Think never being able to get a job rather than it being near impossible.
    You know, one of my big pet hates is 'don't complain because so many people have it worse than you'. It's patronising and it's annoying and it's usually from people who have no idea. I'm currently being bitched at because I am mentally incapable of calling up someone who might be able to get me a temp job. I say mentally, but it's bad enough that I am actually physically unable to dial the numbers.

I KNOW people have life a lot worse than I do, I am told that all the bloody time, but that doesn't stop my situation and my job hunt and my mental illness any better. It actually just makes me feel a whole crapton worse, in fact.

Just because someone else has life worse than me, doesn't automatically make my life sunshine and roses and I HATE THAT MENTALITY RARGH.

endrant.
    *agrees with Franki* Although you can't really tell someone that others have it worse than them - you simply don't know their situation.
    I totally agree with Franki, being in the same boat, and wasting an unhealthy amount of our lives searching for that 'break'.

If there are always going to be unemployed adults in the UK, I think the government needs to change the standard working week to 4 days but with the same coverage pattern. With people working 20% less, it provides openings for the unemployed. Everyone works 4 days, overlapping as necessary to provide the coverage that was provided before in a 5-day working week.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I totally agree with Franki, being in the same boat, and wasting an unhealthy amount of our lives searching for that 'break'.

If there are always going to be unemployed adults in the UK, I think the government needs to change the standard working week to 4 days but with the same coverage pattern. With people working 20% less, it provides openings for the unemployed. Everyone works 4 days, overlapping as necessary to provide the coverage that was provided before in a 5-day working week.
    4 day week... I wouldn't complain :) So long as people can afford to live.

More free time to spend on leisure, thus more jobs created in that industry too. :yes: People could volunteer more, get involved in the community, spend time with their families...
    you know this emergency budget next week...is this when they are going to announce what public sector jobs are going?

i was told last night that on radio 2 yesterday, someone from the labour party was arguing that the conservatives are going to get rid of my role :( i just wanna know sooner rather than later whats going to happen so i can sort myself out with another job :crying:
    you know this emergency budget next week...is this when they are going to announce what public sector jobs are going?
    Possibly, possibly not. Our politicians are going to do the same as they always do in these situations. Instead of admitting they haven't got a clue and asking expert advice, they're simply going to guess and pray for the best. The way that politicians are currently playing with people's lives in this way is disgusting.

Hopefully, the situation will become clearer next Tuesday afternoon. The problem is New Labour used to deliver the budget in an incredibly dishonest manner, omitting many important announcements. Seeing that Cameron is the "heir to Blair" and seeing that the Tories are like their predecessors in many, many ways, I fear you may not.

Despite being someone who wants to see a radically scaled down public sector, you have my sympathy. Government should announce the budget next week, not leak half the fucking thing to The Grauniad first.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Despite being someone who wants to see a radically scaled down public sector, you have my sympathy. Government should announce the budget next week, not leak half the fucking thing to The Grauniad first.

i bloody hope so, i need to know where my life is going.

i have a mortgage to pay. if i'm going to be out of work soon, i want to know sooner rather than later so i can get myself a new job sorted before everyone else who is made redundant does.

its really stressing me out because without me having a job, we will lose our house. there is no doubt about it. i just wish i knew what was going to happen :( really hoping they give us some answers next week.
    Unemployment sucks on so many levels.

After decades of virtually zero unemployment Iceland is now facing about 12% unemployment. What I don't fear the most is the cost to the government but what the eventual social cost will be. Unemployment has such a ripple effect on its surroundings. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be to find the motivation to seek a job day after day when nothing is going on. Not to mention if there's a partner and children and bills that need to be paid.

In my country we seem to be reaching a stage where we can't afford to keep so many government workers but at the same time, what's the alternative? People get fired and claim benefits that the government has to pay. My opinion is that it's better to keep people working, even if it's on reduced pay and reduced hours than sitting at home doing nothing.

I just wish there were answers and a clear direction out of this tunnel. It just seems that many countries are in worse shape than it looked like initially and the recovery will be painful. In the end, the citizens always have to foot the bill. :(
    If I lost my job and couldn't find a new one fast, I would probably have to leave London as I couldn't afford to live on the dole.
    i have a mortgage to pay. if i'm going to be out of work soon, i want to know sooner rather than later so i can get myself a new job sorted before everyone else who is made redundant does.

So why wait?
    MoK wrote: »
    So why wait?

You don't know if the job you're jumping ship to will still exist perhaps....?
    well, at least there'll be new trade for roofers :chin:
    z0ma wrote: »
    well, at least there'll be new trade for roofers :chin:

And con-roofers.
    I told you so.
    Two years ago I told you this was coming and it was delayed slightly by printing more worthless paper money.
    I was slagged off for being full of doom and gloom and my reply was ...I like to think I'm a realist.
    Let me add more doom and gloom so I can say I told you so ...in twelve months time.
    The western world is bankrupt ...screwed ...by design.
    Mass unemployment and social unrest.
    Mass being at least five million.

The world bank ...the world court ...the world army ...the world everything and you won't be able to protest in twelve months time cos we will have reached the frightening ....cashless society.
    We are now in debt for eternity to a handful of international bankers.
    Perpetual debt was their stated aim ...they have now achieved it.
    North Korea and Iran have to be sorted out next cos they have the cheek to print their own money as opposed to money being created as debt ...by the international bankers.
    Best of luck in your serfdom.
    morrocan roll: I'm still waiting for bread to hit £20 a loaf, or whatever crazy figure you said it would be now. Should I wait another 12 months? You know, for when the end of the world will deffo be here... :D
    morrocan roll: I'm still waiting for bread to hit £20 a loaf, or whatever crazy figure you said it would be now. Should I wait another 12 months? You know, for when the end of the world will deffo be here... :D

I've never been an end of the world man :d
    I am a new world order man though.
    The loaf will be astronomical some time in the next twelve months.
    The delay was caused by the mass printing of paper money.