Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

World Cup Sweepstake

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
At work we did a World Cup sweepstake where you pay a couple of quid and pick a team out, then if your team wins you win the money and a prize, I'm sure a few other workplaces etc have done the same, I've seen it around. Has anybody else done it and what team did you get? On my first go i got New Zealand :chin: so even though i know absolutely nothing about football, even i know NZ arent going to win haha. So i had a go on another one and I got Spain. have i got a better chance with that one? hehe. its made the world cup exciting for me!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    At work we did a World Cup sweepstake where you pay a couple of quid and pick a team out, then if your team wins you win the money and a prize, I'm sure a few other workplaces etc have done the same, I've seen it around. Has anybody else done it and what team did you get? On my first go i got New Zealand :chin: so even though i know absolutely nothing about football, even i know NZ arent going to win haha. So i had a go on another one and I got Spain. have i got a better chance with that one? hehe. its made the world cup exciting for me!

Yes you have a very very good chance with Spain.

Good Luck
    I got Australia in our office one. Not impressed.

nearly as bad as new zealand. my friend really wanted spain and he got ghana :D
    I have Brazil, woop.

Me too, plus Nth Korea. So, do you think Kim Jong Il will pay out for me?
    ....he got ghana :D
    Snap, we did it in my form at school... I got Ghana :no:
    haha, i got ghana too :D

at my workplace though, the team that comes in last place gets £10 and the winner gets £150.

i think i might have a chance of winning the tenner and getting my fiver back, lol!
    How can you work out who comes last place? There is likely to be a lot of teams in the group stages with very similar (crap) results.
    i don't know. something to do with the goals scored, etc.

i work with mostly blokes, they can work it out, haha.
    Well if you do win the losers prize, we can double check on here to make sure they aint fleecing you out of the money incase they try to say your team was good :)
    well, they won't do that...
    Might make an honest mistake.
    Well they did one at work but I wasn't included! Apparently I was out of the office or busy when the lad came round to do it but it would have been nice if they had remembered me afterwards!

They've done it where my hubby works and he has pulled out Brazil so he is chuffed.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    haha, i got ghana too :D

at my workplace though, the team that comes in last place gets £10 and the winner gets £150.

i think i might have a chance of winning the tenner and getting my fiver back, lol!

Ghana won't get the ultimate losers prize, sorry. They have won their first game!

EDIT: I have decided to support North Korea. They are are more likely to lose everything. I feel a tad sorry for them, especially as their first game is against Brazil :lol:
    I watched the Ghana match when they got their penelty... I don't think I've ever been so into football! :)
    Haha, I've got New Zealand and Holland in mine... Holland won 2-0 today so good start :D
    I got Honduras? i didnt even know it existed!
    nearly as bad as new zealand. my friend really wanted spain and he got ghana :D

Australia isn't quite as bad as NZ. lol

I got Algeria and South Korea... :yeees:
    haha, yeahhhhh, GO GHANA!

through to the quarter finals! oh yeahhhh! :D everyone thought they were shit but they obviously aint because they've got through to the final 8, haha!