Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

No hot water (our rights)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We have had plumbing problems for days now... The hot water keeps on cutting out and now it barely runs at all.

The plumber the landlord usually uses says he can't come until next week...

Do we have a right to contact another plumber ourselves? This is the second time in 2 months.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd like to know this too - we had a problem with our front door, as in it wouldn't lock. Landlord said the guy he normally uses couldn't come out til a few days later. Obviously no good because we needed a locking door! People at work told me to call a locksmith then send my landlord the bill. Luckily after calling the landlord again he got the guy to come out. But if he hadn't I guess I would've had to call someone else and then try and send the landlord the bill... Don't know if that's allowed though?
    I think in both instances you would be within your rights to get it fixed yourself and send the bill to the Landlord. You would probably have to pay the workman yourself in the first instance though and, depending on your relationship with your landlord, you might find it difficult to get the cost refunded. It would be best to reach agreement on the quote/payment of the bill before the work is done.

Of course, you could always deduct the amount you spend from the rent, but this is likely to be antagonistic and I would only suggest it as a last resort. However, I think the Landlord has a duty to ensure that the property is secure and that tenants have basic amenities like hot water, so they are unlikely to get much sympathy from the courts if they tried to pursue you for the unpaid rent - especially if you could show that you acted reasonably.
    Yes, Overthehill is right. In my 2003-6 houseshare, us tenants had a few incidences with the boiler. The first time, the landlord did sort it out with a plumber but it took too long. On the subsequent visits, we were allowed to call another plumber, pay the bill which was normally £65 then the landlord reimbursed us. Just keep the plumber's invoice as proof.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    then the landlord reimbursed us.

There's BIG difference between being reimbursed by the landlord and withholding part of the rent to pay for repairs.

As GWST would say, you don't fuck about with your rent. You're opening yourself up to eviction.

I'd get some proper, legal advice on this matter before you start not paying rent, or part of it.
    I've had no hot water for a week. The engineer was meant to come but never showed up. Although we are lucky the shower heats its own water up so that's still hot, it would be a pain without that.
    Hey Namaste,

Has your hot water problem been sorted yet?

:)