Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Work - Illness - fit to go back to work.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, bit of a problem here.

I've currently got a viral infection, (doctor said possibly rotovirus or along those lines and he said it lasts 7-10 days) anyway I've signed myself of work for 7days regarding this, one week which I can do by law. my work are now requesting (seems like they do not believe me) either A - a fit for work note from the doctor that i'll be fit to go back to work on sunday ot B - a note saying why I cannot work and for how long.

as I've signed myself of work without a doctors note can they legally request a note saying I am fit to work or can I just say "no I am fit to work"

Their excuse is due to the risk of it spreading but to me that sounds baloney.

Comments

• Options
    i think u can only self-certify for 5 days before u have to provide a doctors note.
  • Options
    i think u can only self-certify for 5 days before u have to provide a doctors note.
    Telling your employer about your illness

If you have been off work sick for seven days or less your employer can ask you to confirm that you’ve been ill. You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification.
    which is usually 5days of work 2days off, my days off are today and tomorrow so i've been off 3days ill before days off and 2 days off and 2more days (go back to work on sunday) is one week

I've got a doctors appt tomorrow which i will hopefully get a note saying i'll be fit to work on sunday if not a "fit for work note" (new sicknote) saying when I can return to work!
  • Options
    Don't you work in a hotel ? I would of thought you'd have to stay off work for 3-4 days after the day you last had symptoms, like nurses do.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Don't you work in a hotel ? I would of thought you'd have to stay off work for 3-4 days after the day you last had symptoms, like nurses do.

This is what I thought too.
  • Options
    Maybe so, but I doubt it makes any difference to how long you can self-certify for in any event.
  • Options
    self certification isn't the problem. the problem is can they stop me going back to work without a note saying i am fit to work!
  • Options
    The quack should be able to provide that for you.
  • Options
    Hey,

Being sick is stressful enough without worrying about what your employer will say or think of you. However, we all come across this issue at some point and need to find ways to get through it.

I wanted to direct you to a few sites where you can get further information.

The Direct Gov website has information about Sickness absence .

They also have a page about the 'fit note' that you are talking about in particular.

There is also a page on the Citizens Advice Bureau website about Basic rights at work. You will see links to pages on sickness.

Also, if the problem with your employer does worsen you can seek legal advice from a local Citizens Advice Bureau or law centre.

Hope this helps.

:)
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    self certification isn't the problem. the problem is can they stop me going back to work without a note saying i am fit to work!

Yes. If they think you're going to be contagious they won't want you back and can tell you not to come in.