Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Crime novels.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Alright boys and girls, hit me with recommendations. Authors, series or individual books. This is going to be my new obsession.

Gogogo!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are three books by Simon Beckett that are from the series with David Hunter as a protagonist (he has a few other books too, but I read one and it was not that good), called

The Chemistry of Death
    Written in Bone
    and
    Whispers of the Dead

I own all three and I gonna have the fourth when it comes out this year. I loved them. They are really fucking thrilling. Borrowed the first two to my mother and she read them in one sitting without putting it away. And she came every 5 minutes into my room asking if X or Y was the killer.
    James Ellroy - not really traditional crime novels but American Tabloid and the LA quartet are stunning pieces of fiction.
    Kathy Reichs :hyper: (if you have ever watched Bones the TV series, its based on her books. And she is an actual forensic Anthropologist so its plain facts! :D)

Devil Bones is a good one :yes:
    I've read about 75 of 80 of Agatha Christie's books, mainly Poirot and Miss Marple. They're interesting from the PoV of the era. She tells quite a good story but she's a bitch with the clues.
    the Rebus books by Ian Rankin
    Harlan Coben
    Michael Connelly
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    For crime novels with quite a twist (ie, not classed as crime but have some sort of mystery involved in them) check out Jasper Fforde.
    i don't read much, but i have read most of the Colin Dexter books, which are the books that Inspector Morse the ITV series was based on.
    Lisa Gardener (only does books about murder, very good) She's done loads, and it's best to read them in the order they came out, so you know the characters. But they aren't a series, so they will make sense in any order.
    Xx
    Since I know you listen to me when it comes to books, I'd recommend Boris Akunin's 'Erast Fandorin' series. Start with The Winter Queen and then go to Turkish Gambit (the correct order in the Russian series - for some reason in English, they translated Leviathan before this). Leviathan is however the best. History and crime - you can't go wrong.
    Thanks guys :d. Have quite the list now! :hyper:
    No one's mentioned Girl with a Dragon Tattoo and the rest of the Millennium trilogy by Steig Larsson. This surprises me because according to our sales figures almost everyone in the country of the appropriate age must now own a copy....

They are very good, perhaps don't live up to the hype and the first one is hard to get into, but worth reading.

From a true crime perspective, I also enjoyed The Suspicions of Mister Whicher by Kate Summerscale, although the denouement is not as shocking as people made out...

Also, the Sansom series set in the Reformation is v. good (Dissolution, Revelation, etc.) and I loved Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose.

I read a lot of Agatha Christie recently because they're short enough and exciting enough that when I'm ill they're about as much as I can focus on.
    I think I'll pass on the Stieg Larsson books. I'm not big into books that get hyped up like that because I am always inevitably disappointed.

I'll check out the others though :)
    Also Henning Mankell's Wallander books if you like the TV series.

Oh yea, these too. Good stuff.
    Patricia Cornwell's "Kay Scarpetta" series
    Lindsey Davis's "Marcus Didius Falco" series
    Jim Butcher's "Harry Dresden"
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Patricia Cornwell's "Kay Scarpetta" series
    I bought the new one the other day. It's kind of slow going but not too bad so I'm sticking with it.
    I love anything to do with forensic crime. My new fav 'real life' series is by Jefferson Bass and it's called the 'body farm' series. This is a real place where they stage corpses in different enviroments to replicate crimes and the time of decomposition :D amazing.
    Agatha Christie.
    if you like the TV series.

Movies | Hollywood movies |Download Hollywood Movies:heart: