Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Need some handy storage tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya guys,

I'm moving again, le sigh, my dad and I have been living in a 3 bed apartment for 2 years and our landlord has died and we have to move.

I had a massive clear out when I moved in from London but I'm now moving into my bf's house with his dad. This is great because it's rent free so we can save up for a house but I've got a big storage issue.

Basically any furniture is going into his mum's spare room, that bit is fine, however although I'll be moving into my bf's double room all my stuff is going into his brother's old room. The box room.

The room is TINY and has a wardrobe and that's about it. No drawers, no shelves, no under the bed strorage, nothing. I took over one load of clothes today and the wardrobe is nearly full already. I've got rid of a LOAD of stuff, ebayed a load of stuff and begged my dad to put stuff in his storage container until we get our own place.

My bf has cleared out a drawer and has offered to clear out his top cupboards (which I can't reach) but he has about 25 years worth of stuff in his room and not really much room for me.

Anybody got any handy space saving tips for general clothes, paperwork (all my statements, payslips, GCSE/A-Level/Degree) etc because I've run out of ideas.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can buy bags (space saver?) to put your clothes in. These take up less room than what just putting your clothes into boxes or a wardrobe would do. I have these and they are brilliant! You can either buy ones that you remove the air with using a vacuum or you roll them up and take out the air manually.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there,

Moving is always a frustrating time, especially as you are going to have less space than before. However, there are some really useful storage items out there that you can buy to maximise your space.
    Melian wrote: »
    You can buy bags (space saver?) to put your clothes in. These take up less room than what just putting your clothes into boxes or a wardrobe would do. I have these and they are brilliant! You can either buy ones that you remove the air with using a vacuum or you roll them up and take out the air manually.

Melian has suggested vacuum bags (an example) which save a LOT of space and they also keep your clothes or bedding etc dust free. However, be careful when using them as they sometimes rip and then become useless.

You can also buy storage boxes for documents/papers. You could try sorting them into folders first to make them easier to access.

You could also look into getting a storage container for yourself. They come in many different sizes from small drawers to big rooms. So I'm sure there would be something for you.

Ikea also have some handy ideas like a hanging shelving unit that can be attached on to the existing hanging space.

Also this website sell storage solutions for the home. Some of their items are very pricey ,however, you can get some really good ideas that you can replicate for a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps and hope the move goes well.
    :)