Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

GBH charge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was involved in a fight in a nightclub around 2 months ago. I was started on by a group of about 5 or 6 people, at first it was only pushing and shoving which soon lead to one member of the group punching me in the face, at which point i swung back, missed and hit a guy in the face who was trying to break up the fight breaking his jaw in the process.
I was then punched several more times before the bouncers broke the fight up. I was merely trying to protect myself and hit the wrong guy, there was no CCTV and the guy is the only witness where i have my friend as one. I have spoken with my solicitor and he believes we can go with self defence however i just want some more opinions about whether self defence seems likely to pass in magistrates court.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not being a qualified legal professional, id go with your solicitors advice.
    Quick question. At what point were you defending yourself when you punched the guy who was trying to break the fight up?

I'm only asking because you'll be asked exactly the same thing in court.

Yes, you can go with self-defence in court as it seems you were defending yourself, however you have to hope that the magistrate believes your version of events.
    your brief's the best bet but you never no with the mags
    Hey there,

It seems like you are in a worrying situation at the moment after a group of 5 or 6 people started being violent towards you outside a nightclub.

It's great that you have sought legal advice because it would be difficult to defend the charges on your own as criminal law in the UK is very technical and complex.

Your solicitor will be the best person to decide what the best course of action is for you as they would have time to go through all the facts and documents. Therefore, it would be best to ask your solicitor for further information on this if you are not entirely satisfied of your defence of self-defence.

In the meantime you might like to read a couple of articles on theSite's website about Court Procedure and Going to Court to know what to expect at your hearing at the Magistrate's Court.