Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

England World Cup Squad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Okay, so Walcott's omission is a bit of a surprise, but apart from that nothing to write home about.

In fact, you have to ask how far we've come in four years. This is the tea, that finished against Portugal (with Rooney) when England were knocked out in 2006:

* P Robinson
* G Neville
* J Terry
* R Ferdinand
* A Cole
* O Hargreaves
* A Lennon
* S Gerrard
* F Lampard
* P Crouch
* W Rooney

Obviously Neville and Robinson are too old and Hargreaves is injured so none could play... but that team has a familiar ring, doesn't it?

In fact, if you look at the squad from 2006 it's the 11 fringe players which have changed mostly due to age, injury or [in Bridge's case] John Terry's cock.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Lol @ Walcott.
  • Options
    Not ONE Arsenal player. I mean.. come on.. we've got THREE English players. Couldn't one of them at least wash the others kits or something?
    Xx
  • Options
    SWP is a surprise and Walcott should be in but nothing otherwise out of the ordinary. I would have had big Bobby Z for that lump Heskey but sadly Bob's not fit.

Wouldn't have minded a wildcard like Adam Johnson. Just a shame that Wenger has all but ruined Walcott's supreme talent by trying to make him into something he's not (a winger).
  • Options
    fuck...they've picked the squad???
    isn't the world cup next year though??
  • Options
    it's this summer...
  • Options
    oh...opps
  • Options
    You know, what with it being the 2010world cup ;)
    Xx
  • Options
    Not ONE Arsenal player. I mean.. come on.. we've got THREE English players. Couldn't one of them at least wash the others kits or something?
    Xx

Best not the way their luck is going the kits would come out pink.

We should be ok after all there is a core of Chelsea players in the squad :thumb:

I am gald Walcott is not going i really think he is just not ready and was only thrust into the limelight because of Sven looking for new talent.
    He needs looking after or he could be the next Michael Owen.

Heskey is a mistake, waste of space its a shame John Terry never met his wife :yes:
  • Options
    Louisek wrote: »
    Best not the way their luck is going the kits would come out pink.

Erm, WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING?! :mad:

Xx
  • Options
    We should be ok after all there is a core of Chelsea players in the squad :thumb:

I am gald Walcott is not going i really think he is just not ready and was only thrust into the limelight because of Sven looking for new talent.
    He needs looking after or he could be the next Michael Owen.

Heskey is a mistake, waste of space its a shame John Terry never met his wife :yes:

You know a lot about football for a girl!

(I'm only joking!!!! I'm not sexist!) :d
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    You know a lot about football for a girl!

(I'm only joking!!!! I'm not sexist!) :d

I know its a problem i'm working on, i need to fill my mind with kittens and fluffy things :lol:
  • Options
    Erm, WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING?! :mad:

Xx

Lol they would be bound to put the white shirts in with the red :yes:

Good to see your back by the way *hug*
  • Options
    I know its a problem i'm working on, i need to fill my mind with kittens and fluffy things :lol:

Or combine kittens AND football? :)

101310313O199684077.jpg
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Or combine kittens AND football? :)

101310313O199684077.jpg

I don't care about football, but I love that photo. I should teach my cats to play...
  • Options
    Awwwww now thats cute :heart:
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Obviously Neville and Robinson are too old and Hargreaves is injured so none could play... but that team has a familiar ring, doesn't it?

Robinson too old? He's only 30. Had a good season too, I think. Anyway, that Portugal game was terrible. Yes we lost, but Jesus Christ, they were terrible too.

My prediction this time: the opposite of Sven. We'll comfortably beat the smaller teams, and get beat by the first decent passing team we meet. Under Sven, we were completely unimaginative yet organised, which made it hard to break down the smaller teams, but made it difficult for the good teams to break us down, so most of our matches were quite close (that's how I remember it anyway). Capello will have us hammering the smaller teams (see qualifying), then capitulating the second we come up against a team that can pass the ball anywhere in our half.
  • Options
    SWP is a surprise and Walcott should be in but nothing otherwise out of the ordinary. I would have had big Bobby Z for that lump Heskey but sadly Bob's not fit.

To be fair, with Lennon, Milner and Joe Cole... Walcott's really not needed.

In my opinion, Crouch is big enough to play the target man/holding forward, or whatever Capello is using Heksey for, except that Crouch actually has a good intrernational scoring record.
    Ok so I don't actually rate him as a talented striker, but he punishes weaker teams, and therefore needs to be in the squad. But no need for him and Heskey.
    With Zamora's form, he needed to be in the squad, if only as a last resort. He was worth it as a wildcard.
  • Options
    Can't really disagree with that. Zamora has so much more of an all round game than Heskey and was just unlucky that Fulham's campaign was so long that Bob succumbed to injury. It's no coincidence that Capello was a frequent visitor to the Cottage last season.

SWP is a baffling choice in my opinion given that he's hardly played this season and was included in place of Adam Johnson who has displaced him at City. Bizarre. Oh well, let's see what happens.
  • Options
    Can't really disagree with that. Zamora has so much more of an all round game than Heskey and was just unlucky that Fulham's campaign was so long that Bob succumbed to injury. It's no coincidence that Capello was a frequent visitor to the Cottage last season.

SWP is a baffling choice in my opinion given that he's hardly played this season and was included in place of Adam Johnson who has displaced him at City. Bizarre. Oh well, let's see what happens.

Yes i think you are right Zamora would have been an inspiration as he seems a very hungry player,at least he is young enough to be included in the future.

As far as SWP , well maybe Capello has him down as some kind of super sub for the quarter finals onward, he has that ability to come on and pull something magic out of the bag but is he consistent enough thats the worry.
  • Options
    I wasn't suprised about Walcott for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I think that he is great when he's running with the ball, and perhaps even half decent when cutting infield, but when he has to run down the wing and cross a ball he consistently plays bad balls. He doesn't look up, or lacks the technique, whichever. That's something that he needs to work on. Ronaldo was the same when he first went to Man Utd, he lacked end product for all his endeavour.

I think that Fabio knows that he has better options that will better retain the shape of the side. He also knows that Theo is young and will come again. There is not a single doubt in my mind that Theo will be at the next world cup.

As for the rest of the squad it's pretty much as good as it can be barring one or two possible changes as people have suggested. I have no idea why Heskey is there. I don't really care what he may add to the team, a non goal scoring forward is a bit like having two cars but one that only works as a refrigerator. It's just insane.

I think that we will be tested pretty strongly by the USA in the opening game and could even lose, I wouldn't be shocked. I also wouldn't be shocked if we win but I don't see a big scoreline. If we beat them then we will qualify and it really all depends on the momentum that we've gained by that time. We can certainly beat anyone on the right day and in the right circumstances. The chances, however, based on the form and coherence of our team are not great when it comes to beating the top sides.
  • Options
    Lol they would be bound to put the white shirts in with the red :yes:

Good to see your back by the way *hug*

Well, our shirts are white AND red, and they never turn out pink sooo :razz:

And thank you *hug*
    Xx
  • Options
    My formation/starting line up would be.....

Hart
    Johnson
    Terry
    Ferdinand
    Cole
    Lennon
    Milner
    Lampard
    J.Cole
    Gerrard

Rooney
  • Options
    Were everyone fully fit, my starting XI would be:

Hart
    Johnson
    Terry ---- Ferdinand
    Cole
    Lennon --- Lampard ---- Milner
    Gerrard
    Rooney

Zamora

With Adam Johnson and Darren Bent as impact subs.

As things stand, I agree with pill'ed.
  • Options
    Good luck getting any of those midfielders to defend.
  • Options
    Fuck defending, we need to be balls-to-the-wall attack.
  • Options
    I say the conservatives introduce a law which outlaws the excessive use of the long ball pass by england.
  • Options
    I'm just glad Argentina have a madman in charge, because I think they could tear anyone a new arsehole with their attacking options.
  • Options
    Ok so if the worst has happened and Ferdinand is out, as is being speculated at the moment due to a training injury i think this would be my pick

Hart
    Johnson
    Terry (c)
    Carragher
    Cole
    Lennon
    Milner
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Crouch
    Rooney

With J.Cole and SWP used to liven things up if needed.
  • Options
    my formation on the basis that i play hockey not football

keeper goes here
    ----defender
    defender

all out attack goes here
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    my formation on the basis that i play hockey not football

keeper goes here