Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

It really is about time someone does something about this abominable regime

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/31/israel-accused-state-terrorism-assault-flotilla-gaza

Words fucking, cunting fail me.

Never mind the countless breaches of international law. Never mind the nearly half-a-century long illegal occupation of other people's land. Never mind the atrocious crimes against humanity commited against same people in tha period. Never mind its illegal nuclear weapons programme. Never mind its giving other (despicable) remiges nuclear weapons, as it did to Apartheid-era South Africa.

And now, never mind the murdering of peace activitists delivering aid to a people who are going through a living hell like few others in human history.

When will somebody finally stand up those motherfucking, sadistic bastards that are the Israeli government and armed forces? How many more crimes against fucking humanity are we going to put with with while calling the Israeli regime 'our allies' and allow them to participate in the international arena as if it was a normal, acceptable regime?

I'm sick to fucking death. I really am :mad:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/10200351.stm

Not all of the facts are in at the moment, but it would appear that there are at least three things Israel needs to answer for at the very least:

1) Tactics - I know fuck all about military strategy by it would appear unbelievably stupid to rappell, visibly armed, into the waiting arms of an angry mob, single file.

Either they were expecting no resistence, in which case they should have proceeded in a more calm fashion, clearly indicating their intentions - or they expected resistence of some kind, in which case their handling of the situation was woefully inept.

2) International waters - once again Israel makes a mockery of international law, putting us all in danger by proxy of playing into the hands of extremist elements. Be-turbaned nutcases everywhere will be rubbing their palms together at the propaganda value.

3) Use of force - Israel has killed citizens of so many nations it's scary: recall the death of James Miller, shot in cold blood by an Israeli sniper; the Lord Goldsmith asked for prosecution of the Soldier in 2007 - Israel ignored him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Miller_(filmmaker)

Once again I think the lynch pin will be the United States' position, which at the moment is squarely on the fence.

I hope that the people who Israel has in custody are returned home soon, unharmed. I really admire the bravery of the people who'd put themselves up against this madness to help others in dire need.

UPDATE:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/10199808.stm

The Palestinian Solidarity Campaign led a demo against the BBC in Manchester - windows smashed, attempted storming of the building etc.

I've been on the PSC website - all they've done is call for a demo, I can see absolutely nothing about biased reporting by the Beeb, not even a reason or evidence.

The BBC don't even appear to be reporting anything different from the other major news outlets...strange.
  • Options
    2) International waters - once again Israel makes a mockery of international law,

Umm, no. They are within international law to enforce their blockade in international waters.

They also made plenty of effort to persuade the ships to deliver their aid by their approved route - again within international law. Th ships deliberately entered into this confrontation with Israel, in order to either break the blockade - because if Israel failed to enforce the blockade it would become illegal for them to continue trhe land based blockade - or to provoke this kid of anti-Israel backlash.
  • Options
    That's exactly how the Times called it this morning. The editorial this morning is very good. The flotilla was given ample oppurtonity to stand down or turn back and refused to do so. Though the response may have been disporportionately strong, Israel does have the right to prevent arms being smuggled into Gaza, which the Times reports they had intelligence to support.
  • Options
    @ Big Gay: I think you will find that's a highly contestable point, and that there are considerable ambiguities over it's legality. Ban ki moon has already come out with concerns around this so I'd be slower to dismiss.

@ Thunderstruck: if you are talking about the 'Violence on the high seas' one then I would hardly call that 'very good'.

As anyone reading it can plainly see, it is full of suppositions, lacks any attempt to source evidence for it's claims, and most problematically makes reference to 'intelligence' about munitions as if it were a near certainty.

I find this claim in particular hard to believe because why would you put munitions onto a ship which had a very high likelyhood of being challenged and intercepted, in a highly visible way. The result would most likely be lost munitions and lost credibility for the palestinian cause-when they could more easily and effectively make use of te tunnel systems which have seemed to work reasonably well thus far.

It's a terrible editorial (and no, it's not the only one) and a particularly bad example of armchair journalism.

I also note the most reccomended comment beneath it responds to the claim that Israel has the right to defend itself with 'so do the Palestinians'.

Let's see the Israelis allow an unimpeded international investigation if he truth is on their side...
  • Options
    Though the response may have been disporportionately strong, Israel does have the right to prevent arms being smuggled into Gaza, which the Times reports they had intelligence to support.

I heard the Israeli ambassador to the UK on Radio 4 this morning and he let it slip that aid ships are allowed through and that these ships are 'searched' on arrival for weapons etc. So why did the Israelis take this line of tactic instead? I have had some sympathy in the past for Israel in it's position with its neighbours but I cannot condone this action on any account. They came looking for a fight and are now are crying 'foul'. If you are attacked, withdraw. Don't shoot ten people dead. It's appalling.
  • Options
    The Israeli government and armed forces are not exactly known for telling the truth very often. Their version of events this time seems to be as fanciful as ever, with eyewitnesses to the event rubbishing the Israeli claims of 'knives' and other lethal weapons being used.

The Israeli gunboats should be treated like the fucking murdering pirates they are.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The Israeli government and armed forces are not exactly known for telling the truth very often. Their version of events this time seems to be as fanciful as ever, with eyewitnesses to the event rubbishing the Israeli claims of 'knives' and other lethal weapons being used.

The Israeli gunboats should be treated like the fucking murdering pirates they are.

The video footage of soldiers being clubbed with metal bars would partly support the Israeli version.

That said, I really struggle to find anything which defends their actions no matter how dumbass the "convoy" was in continuing inspite of the warnings they recieved.
  • Options
    Both sides were looking for a confrontation and both sides got one.

if the reports are right - piss poor tactics though and just confirms my view the Israeli military are only regarded as good because the opposition is so shit poor.
  • Options
    Actually it was more like 'peace' activists tried to get through a ship of 'aid' and Israel was going to allow this but first wanted to check it for weapons which are so frequently smuggled into Gaza. The flotilla refused to allow to be searched which Israel has the right to do, so the marines went on board to search and then fighting broke out. and if it was aid on the ship why the flip were all those knives and clubs found that didnt belong to the army? no wonder the 'peace' activists didnt want the flotilla searched because they had something to hide. and unlike the 'peace activists' israel has evidence to support their account, although obviously people will just go ahead and pretend that its all fictional.
    But the world chooses to be ignorant, if it was any other country eg. like us, Britain, britain would have support from the world and the truth wouldnt have been distorted.
  • Options
    But the world chooses to be ignorant, if it was any other country eg. like us, Britain, britain would have support from the world and the truth wouldnt have been distorted.

Ever heard of Operation Flavius?
  • Options
    no wonder the 'peace' activists didnt want the flotilla searched because they had something to hide. and unlike the 'peace activists' israel has evidence to support their account, although obviously people will just go ahead and pretend that its all fictional.

Well quite but we are talking about degrees of confrontation here. Agree though - as I said, knowing nothing about military tactics I really wonder what the hell was going on there because just from a position of common sense the footage appears to be lunacy.
  • Options
    Yeah i understand it seems totally crazy, but i think thats what it was. but I mean what is someone supposed to do if they are being attacked?
    MoK wrote: »
    Ever heard of Operation Flavius?

im talking about nowadays 2010 and this isnt very relatable to this either.
  • Options
    Actually it was more like 'peace' activists tried to get through a ship of 'aid' and Israel was going to allow this but first wanted to check it for weapons which are so frequently smuggled into Gaza. The flotilla refused to allow to be searched which Israel has the right to do, so the marines went on board to search and then fighting broke out. and if it was aid on the ship why the flip were all those knives and clubs found that didnt belong to the army? no wonder the 'peace' activists didnt want the flotilla searched because they had something to hide. and unlike the 'peace activists' israel has evidence to support their account, although obviously people will just go ahead and pretend that its all fictional.
    Wow. That's certainly a way of interpreting events.
  • Options
    Yes and so is how the media's portraying the events a 'wow interpretation'
  • Options
    Really? How so?
  • Options
    Yeah i understand it seems totally crazy, but i think thats what it was. but I mean what is someone supposed to do if they are being attacked?

You mean like, what are you supposed to do if armed men start climbing onto your ship?

im talking about nowadays 2010 and this isnt very relatable to this either.

Its relevant because it shows that when unarmed people are killed, even if they are known terrorists, then the world comdemning the state which was responsible. It also shows that Britain isn't immune to that criticism.
  • Options
    Yes and so is how the media's portraying the events a 'wow interpretation'

Well the PSC seem to think the BBC are biased toward Israel...
  • Options
    Armed men who are only there to search for weapons not to attack. The activsits fully well knew that and should not have started up the fight so the the soldiers had to defend themselves. They shouldnt have had the weapons on board and tried to smuggle them into Gaza in the first place under the pretence of aid.

The activists were not unarmed so that really is not relevant to this...
  • Options
    Armed men who are only there to search for weapons not to attack.
    Clearly :rolleyes:
    The activsits fully well knew that and should not have started up the fight so the the soldiers had to defend themselves.
    Bullshit.
    They shouldnt have had the weapons on board and tried to smuggle them into Gaza in the first place under the pretence of aid.
    What weapons? Were you there?
    The activists were not unarmed so that really is not relevant to this...
    Yeah, because wooden sticks are as deadly as automatic weapons.

Presumably you would have supported the police opening fire on G20 demonstrators last year?

You're having a fucking laugh.
  • Options
    Some paticularly ridiculous media comments in suport of Israel sans evidence...
    "Israel is the frontline of the free world. Its ability to defend itself and deter its foes is the single most important guarantee of international peace. A strong Israel is also the most potent and reliable guarantor of the US's continued ability to project its power in the Middle East."

That's an editorial in the Jerusalem Post - now, I expect it wouldn't take to much effort to find the same (or plenty worse) in Arab media, but just look at the phraseology - the last sentence, in particular, and one can see why some people in the middle east might believe Israel to be a proxy of an Imperial aggressor.
    For it is a fact, is it not, that had Europeans (and yes, the Turks are Europeans, are they not?) been gunned down by any other Middle Eastern army (which the Israeli army is, is it not?) there would have been waves of outrage."

That's Robert Fisk in the Independent - which I think is actually a reasonable statement. Not to set the worth of lives of nations against each other, but rather to restate that Israel have killed British citizens before in circumstances where there was no such 'provocation'.
    "[T]he Tories are now in coalition with the Israel-bashing LibDems, who would blame Israel even if jihadis were to sail a flotilla up the Thames and take the entire LibDem leadership hostage."

...and just for light relief that's Melanie Phillips penetrating analysis...
  • Options
    One apologist for the Israeli government has said that 'inspection is irrelevant because it could not have been trusted', and that actually makes sense, given how long it would take to inspect a ship fully. These marines didn't want to inspect the ships, they were there to take control and force them to sail to the specified ports. The last ship put up resistance, but it's also possible that the Israelis were disappointed not to get a similar reaction earlier, and really 'pushed the boat out' with their last opportunity. 'Israeli military hi-jack aid ships' wouldn't have made a very good headline, after all. Not that this was a hell of a lot better.

The Israelis have a right to stop ships which are a threat to their citizens only, not aid ships. Telling one from the other may need organising (by the UN?), but once done, they can kiss their 'blockade' goodbye.
  • Options
    Seth Freedman's article on the Graun's CiF section makes for very interesting reading. I agree with pretty much all of it, much like his piece about bankers last week.

That said, perhaps we should reserve some judgement until all the facts are in.
  • Options
    Big Gay: I think you will find that's a highly contestable point, and that there are considerable ambiguities over it's legality.

No, Israel does enough seriously dodgy stuff that you don't need to start misrepresenting the stuff they don't get wrong. Makes it look like you're irrational, and then anything you say is dismissed because you're just a hater.
  • Options
    You know if it was british marines, I'm sure they would have just used tear gas or something rather than shooting them with live fire, or rapelling into the middle of a group of fired up people. It doesn't take a genius to think of a better alternative than pointing firearms at people's faces as a way to coerce them. I suppose it's something to be greatful for - if this happened by UK police / armed forces there would be an outrage and demand for an inquiry from WITHIN the UK. In Israel, many citizens will celebrate this as a victory over the arabs.

Also relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxswkCcNtTM&feature=related
  • Options
    No, Israel does enough seriously dodgy stuff that you don't need to start misrepresenting the stuff they don't get wrong. Makes it look like you're irrational, and then anything you say is dismissed because you're just a hater.

Agree with the first part, and yes there are many other things which Israel is doing which are clearer cut violations.

However, nothing in the preceding statement event remotely suggests that I am being irrational or hate Israel. I said that it is a contestable point of international law, and there are questions around it.

There is nothing irrational about that statement whatsoever, and I have not misrepresented their actions. Anyone reading that statement can clearly see this.
  • Options
    Lauren Booth's horrific guffstorm in the Graun was predictably met with the scorn it deserved. As one poster pointed out, she, and numberous other lefties are what Vladimir Ilych would have called "useful idiots of the West".

For the record, I'm not devoutly pro-Israel - I went to school with and personally knew Tom Hurndall so I find it hard to support them wholly - however, this is a much more complex issue than the anti-Israelis would have you believe. Weapons get to Hezbollah somehow...
  • Options
    For the record, I'm not devoutly pro-Israel - I went to school with and personally knew Tom Hurndall so I find it hard to support them wholly - however, this is a much more complex issue than the anti-Israelis would have you believe. Weapons get to Hezbollah somehow...

Not via those boats, and the editorial you quoted as 'very good' from The Times was exactly the same thing backwards.
  • Options
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as I fear I might not have been clear enough in which Times editorial I meant. It was this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article7141295.ece

I stand by my view that this and to a slightly lesser extent, Seth Freedman's piece on CiF.
  • Options
    Thunderstruck

Before you are too quick to issue arm chair condemnations of humanitarian intentions, I'd look at this post at the bottom of the Booth article, which is slightly more nuanced that your dismissal.
    And we too were called "provocateurs" by the Israeli media, "leftwing radicals" and "terrorist sympathisers".

No, you were well-meaning activists concerned about ordinary Gazans trying to do the right thing - but unfortunately you were never intended to show up the blockade as being evil by trying to reach it and being turned back.

Instead you were played like a fiddle by violent militants who used deliberately violence with the specific intention that Israel would over-react (as it always does) in order to get you hurt/ killed in the process. All to further their own agenda.

You have been used, sadly to say, as an expendable pawn by people who cared little for your life and actually stood to gain by you bleeding/ dying.

That Israel was stupid to go along with it all says much for their lack of intelligence.

I think that's probably a more nuanced reaction to the Lauren Booth piece - there are many different actors in this game, with vastly different agendas.
  • Options

The boats had already been inspected though.. so unless the weapons were hidden?