Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

hmmm... help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys. I really need to rant to someone so yeah, this is the purpose of this. You can read it if you want or ignore it. I don’t care which.
I feel utterly crap. I don’t really know why. I don’t think the fact I have my final uni exams at the moment is helping much but I felt like this a few weeks ago too when I didn’t have them, so not too sure if they are the cause. My sleep pattern is weird- it takes me ages to fall to sleep as my head won’t shut up with not very nice thoughts and then I don’t want to get up in the morning. I have bags under my eyes constantly now it seems even though when I do fall asleep I make sure I get 7 or 8 hours sleep. I don’t think I am eating properly anymore either and I don’t want to do anything either- it all seems like a pointless task. My head hurts and my thoughts are all muddled too, which means revising is pretty much not happening.
I did go to the doctors last time, but the doctor I saw hasn’t got any free appointments until after I leave uni. Plus I don’t want to make a fuss.

I just want to feel “normal” again. Or at least know how to change how I am now.The only way I have found is blasting music through my iPod and I'm pretty sure that's not a good solution. :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First of all, you're not making a fuss.

Have you tried nytol to help with sleeping? I personally found it did nothing; but it may work for you.
    Have you tried Sleep Aid? It is a traditional herbal remedy that is sold in Tesco and other store's worldwide. If you take one an hour before you desire to sleep you will find that you should start feeling tired around that time.

For the first week of taking them you may feel minor side effects, but once your body adjusts to them you should be okay. I had this problem and Sleep Aid seemed to help it. It helps soothe the person wanting to sleep.

The lack of sleep may be effecting your appetite. The same thing happened to me. If the Sleep Aid does not help, then you might have to wait for an appiontment with your doctor as there might be something seriously wrong. I hope not and hope this has helped.
    thanks guys, I may give one of those ideas a go.
    Am feeling a little bit happier today too.
    My sleep pattern was funny for a long long time, I still get minor insomnia sometimes, I think because of the depression. I always feel less depressy when I've sorted out my sleep though. What I do is this:

(the brutal approach)
    I go to bed at a reasonable time(lets say 11), but still cannot sleep until stupid o'clock, watching crap on tinternet.
    I wake up at a predecided time (lets say 8), which means I got a few hours sleep
    I do NOT nap
    I do NOT have any caffeine
    I do NOT have any refined sugar
    And then I get to bed at 11 again, maybe with a book but no laptop!

Eventually, after a zombie-like few days, my body works out that between 11 and 8 are the ONLY times it is allowed to sleep. I am asleep by 12 and am not kicking and screaming for my bed at 8. After a while I start having caffeine again (never too late in the day, rarely coffee) and I'm finally back to normal!

I don't know if that's any help to you, but it's the only way I have found to re-set a stubborn body clock. Maybe don't do this in exam season, it hurts! It's a cliche but for a quick fix lots and lots of (dark- more cocoa) chocolate helps me get though short periods, when I HAVE to concentrate.

Hopefully once your sleep is back on track you will be able to see if your confuzzled head and loss of appetite was because of, or as well as your rubbish sleep.
    sorry to hear about the suffering.

happens muchly during exam times.

would highly recommend the solution above, cutting out coffee etc, forcing certain sleep hours. wouldnt recommend a chemical solution because they can become addictive.

like you said, you need to rant, and that is maybe done better with someone else. would highly suggest a cognitive therapist to give you tangible solutions and tools to work through this.

as for eating, we all do crazy things during exams. juice will keep you temporarily alive if nothing else works. cereal and toast is also exam friendly, easily digestable. eggs for protein.

and breeeeeeathe. just breeeeeathe. faut réspirer!
    thanks again guys,

Evenstar I like the sound of that advice :) if I'm still struggling this much after exams I will try and follow it, got to be worth a try I guess.

vampyricannie thanks too- i was seeing a counselor but because I am finishing my uni course I had to stop, but thanks for the idea