Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cancer Worries...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Every generation that my family has managed to go back to, we have found that at least one person has died of cancer. Every generation on my moms, moms side of the family has had about at least 4 children, and at least one of them has gotten cancer. This generation, there is only me and my sister, and I am absolutely petrified that one of us will get cancer.

The most that has had cancer in on generation has been 4. My moms brother died of it when i was only 6 weeks old.

Does anyone know that as there has been such a bad family history of cancer that there is a big chance of me or my sister or both of us getting it?

Comments

• Options
    There is a certain amount of evidence that cancer runs in families, so you MAY be genetically predisposed to it. Try not to dwell on this though. Forewarned is forearmed. Keep a check on risky behaviours, e.g. smoking and drinking excessively. Eat well. Get plenty of sleep at night. Check yourself regularly for lumps and bumps and go to the doctor for the slightest change in regular bodily functions. Cancer is no longer the terminal illness it once was. Treatments have improved immeasureably over the last few years and, if caught early, people generally have a good chance of a full recovery.
  • Options
    There is a certain amount of evidence that cancer runs in families, so you MAY be genetically predisposed to it. Try not to dwell on this though. Forewarned is forearmed. Keep a check on risky behaviours, e.g. smoking and drinking excessively. Eat well. Get plenty of sleep at night. Check yourself regularly for lumps and bumps and go to the doctor for the slightest change in regular bodily functions. Cancer is no longer the terminal illness it once was. Treatments have improved immeasureably over the last few years and, if caught early, people generally have a good chance of a full recovery.

:yes: Very constructive and accurate reply.
  • Options
    I totally agree with what overthehill has said. Cancer is horrible and I am always worried me or someone in my family will get it. My grandad (mums dad) was 1 of 9, 8 of which died of cancer, and both my dads parents have had cancer, but they both survived! So I worry alot about my parents getting it (especially my mum as she smoked for over 30 years although she quit about 8 years ago) and me and my sister, but at the end of the day you could get run over by a bus tomorrow so it really isn't worth the worry!