Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alpha one anti trypsin deficiency

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so my two youngest sisters have been diagnosed with alpha one anti trypsin deficiency. Naturally myself and my mum asked the doctor for information on it and looked it up on the internet. We had never heard of it before then. Unfortunately, though we found some material it was all this medical jargon and just utter s***.

So we have all the medical complex stuff but if anyone had maybe some simple facts about it, just in simple laymans terms I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

*Rhia*

Comments

• Options
    While the first couple of paragraphs are quite jargon heavy, theres a bit about symptoms and the such, and it also gets a bit easier to comprehend in places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_1-antitrypsin_deficiency
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll check that out :)
  • Options
    Antitrypsin is a protein found in blood.

Low levels of this protein mean that the sufferer would be more likely to get lung and liver disease.

Your mum really should go back the doctor and ask for the condition to be explained.
  • Options
    Thanks a million for the simple explanation Louisek. We did go to the doctor but he just kept going on and on about how its hereditary and what gene is what and how she got it.

We didn't have a clue it was even a protein. Everything else we've researched about it makes a bit more sense now.