Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

mac osx services

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hello. is there a way to start windows sharing service in OSX? my options on the sharing screen are limited and i think it's because it needs to be loaded into start up as a service.

Comments

• Options
    What version of MacOS are you using?
  • Options
    I think you are looking for remote-desktop? If thats what you need, then this can help you

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    What version of MacOS are you using?

OS 10.6 Snow leopard
  • Options
    As I understand it, you just enable what it is you want in sharing preferences, you just need to configure the sharing options inside the settings.

In screen sharing it IS simple by design, there isn't much you can apart from share the screen and control. I use RealVNC on both Windows and Mac, gives you so much more options when used together. Using Windows VNC to Mac it warns you they may not work as you wished, which they won't, you will be using normal sharing with the same limited functions.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    As I understand it, you just enable what it is you want in sharing preferences, you just need to configure the sharing options inside the settings.

in sharing preferences there are limited services. it seems to be missing some of them mainly Windows Sharing. Without it, when i log on from Vista to my Mac, it requires authentification where I can't seem to progress with my usual user and password. I'll look up the program you suggested. Vanks
  • Options
    Tiger used to have the option to enable windows sharing, but thats included into the one option instead of being separate.

System Pref > File Sharing > Options > Share files using SMB (Windows) - Enable. Tick your account on. Then you use your username and password on your Mac.

then

Remote management > Computer settings > VNC users may control with this password : No. Don't enable > Anyone can request : yes. I also have Remote login enabled too for good measure.

But still use RealVNC if you wish, I like it.