Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Prom dress.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you think it's nice? And worth the money?

http://http://www.promgirl.net/promdress1321.html

Comments

• Options
    Dont know if its just me but i can't open anything with that link
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Louisek wrote: »
    Dont know if its just me but i can't open anything with that link
    That's because it has "http://" twice. Delete one and it works.
  • Options
    I guess it depends on what you like but also what you look like and whether it'd suit you. I know I'd look like a twit in it but you might look lovely. As for the price, I have no idea how much people spend on these things as my mother made mine :blush: I you're not sure if something is worth the price, maybe think about whether you would be able to wear it again in the future or weather it is too showy.
  • Options
    Ohh no! :no: It's like Barbie gone wrong!
  • Options
    That's because it has "http://" twice. Delete one and it works.

Oh yes thanks.

I think it looks better in the blue but it is still not something i would go for to be honest.

I would have liked a really nice fitted full length prom dress.

But hey your the one who has to wear it, if you like it and if you can carry it off then why not.
  • Options
    I don't like it and it's expensive for what it is.
  • Options
    At $199, you will most certainly get stung by customs, which will be about £25 at our 17.5% VAT rate, plus so-called courier 'admin' charges, which is another £8 on top from my three own experiences.
  • Options
    I'd definately buy something longer, i dont think anyone apart from the pregnant girl at my prom wore anything above the knee.

Also i'd say not worth the money, but thats just my opinion
  • Options
    No and no. Sorry.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    At $199, you will most certainly get stung by customs, which will be about £25 at our 17.5% VAT rate, plus so-called courier 'admin' charges, which is another £8 on top from my three own experiences.

It costs 125 in our money.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    No and no. Sorry.

All my friends love it! I think it's cute and I love pink.
  • Options
    Blech.

I think this is one of those dresses that you'll adore now, and then in 5 years time you'll look back on the pictures and think 'what the hell was I thinking'?!

I'm speaking entirely from experience; at age 15 I went to a school christmas dance thing in this short gold sparkly number from Jane Norman, of all blimmin' places. Thought I looked the bomb - look back on it now and cringe......

If you really like it and you think it's worth the money, go for it. It'll give your kids a good giggle when you show them your prom photos.

Alternatively, think 'timeless and classy' and you absolutely cannot go wrong. If you think of truly stylish celebrities, they wouldn't touch something like this. Aisleyne off Big Brother and Jennifer Ellisson, however, probably would.

My grandad always used to say the most beautiful woman in the room at any event was invariably the one wearing a simple, timeless dress and a smile - cheesy, perhaps, but I've followed that advice for years.
  • Options
    lyric wrote: »
    All my friends love it! I think it's cute and I love pink.

Buy it, then.

You asked for opinions, and you got them. I think a lot of things that people buy don't look nice and are vastly overpriced, but I'm not their mother or their stylist or their bank manager, so it's not up to me.
  • Options
    Ugh. Truly hideous. And maybe I'm this is evidence that I am officially an old fuddy duddy, but it's really slutty too, and not in a good way. It's the kind of thing the girls who end up on Snog Marry Avoid would wear to their prom. Awful.
  • Options
    How about something like this? http://www.oasis-stores.com/One-Shoulder-Origami-Dress/All-Dresses/oasis/fcp-product/3470054045 it's a pinky nude so to me looks classier and won't look embarrasing when you look back on the pics years later.
    ETA: It's cheaper too :)
  • Options
    Not a fan of the dress, but I think thinking about how you are going to feel about it years from now is just a silly thought and deciding factor. No matter what you wear now, you'll back on it and laugh and cringe, its how fashion goes.
  • Options
    Oh wind your neck in geneve, for the love of god. I'm not making assumptions about the people who would wear it, I'm just saying it looks kind of trashy. She asked for opinions, that's mine.
  • Options
    geneve wrote: »
    Our money as in....sterling?

As it's coming in from abroad you will have to pay taxes on it when it comes through customs. So if you read the post you've quoted, you will see how much those taxes will come to.

Certainly not my style at all though, and I really don't think it's appropriate for a school event.

Sixthform. I'm 18.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Buy it, then.

You asked for opinions, and you got them. I think a lot of things that people buy don't look nice and are vastly overpriced, but I'm not their mother or their stylist or their bank manager, so it's not up to me.

I've decided on a different dress now.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    How about something like this? http://www.oasis-stores.com/One-Shoulder-Origami-Dress/All-Dresses/oasis/fcp-product/3470054045 it's a pinky nude so to me looks classier and won't look embarrasing when you look back on the pics years later.
    ETA: It's cheaper too :)

Horrible. No offence.
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    Ugh. Truly hideous. And maybe I'm this is evidence that I am officially an old fuddy duddy, but it's really slutty too, and not in a good way. It's the kind of thing the girls who end up on Snog Marry Avoid would wear to their prom. Awful.

I Love Snog Marry Avoid :love: I watched all 3 series back to back on 40D lol
  • Options
  • Options
    I agree. Not quite sure why there's a hole in it (Good God I'm actually my grandmother) but it's much nicer than the first one. And half the price!
  • Options
    That's a lot nicer lyric.
  • Options
    Oh, for some reason I thought you were a size six?
  • Options
    You need to make sure you dont have white strap marks like the model :eek:
  • Options
    Nicer if it didn't have the hole ... I prefer Lea's link personally.
  • Options
    Nicer if it didn't have the hole ... I prefer Lea's link personally.

agreed its a lot classier imo (ETA: Lea's suggestion)
  • Options
    Our prom was really formal and only one person wore a dress above her knee and it didn't go down well. The second one is better than the first, i just don't get why there is a hole in it.