Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

A drawing of the Prophet Mohammed...

censored.jpg

Hope I didn't set off too much of a panic back there, Jim V. :p

Apparently, yesterday was "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day". As I understand it, Comedy Central bottled out of showing a depiction of the Prophet Mohammed on an episode of South Park a few weeks ago. This was following death threats to the show's creators from a radical Muslim group. A Seattle cartoonist then declared that May 20th was going to be a day for drawing pictures of Mohammed.

It all passed off quietly enough until the Pakistani authorities decided to give the event a whole load of free publicity by announcing that YouTube and Facebook were being banned from the country due to the "offensive content" on them aimed towards Muslims. Now, the cartoonist who inspired this campaign has apologised on her blog, saying the cartoon was "hijacked" and that she thought the campaign was indeed "offensive to Muslims". Hmm...

The original Facebook group (from the Beeb) about this claimed that "They (radical Muslims, presumably) can't take away our right to freedom of speech by trying to scare us into silence.". No, but Facebook could, and did. In between their endless bloody fiddling with the website, they've found time to delete the group, thus taking away this freedom of speech they speak of. Gutless cowards.

What do you all make of this hoo-hah, then?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In a nutshell: if they are offended by drawings of Mohammed, they can go fuck themselves.
  • Options
    We see spitting image, cartoonists and comedians taking the michael out of our politicians, The Queen, God/Jesus and various celebrities for a laugh yet we don't ban any of this.

Pakistan needs to get with the times :-)
  • Options
    Well problem of pakistan is people have nothing to do... They are frustrated with economic and political situation here. And they find these situations to release their stress and frustration. More than 60% people dont know read or write and they are used by religious nuts... And those who have got education are total hypocrates.... In day to day life they do all the things which are not allowed in religion, but when such situations arise, they use it as a way re-ensure themselves that they are still muslims.... which they are not!

To my understanding society in general is in total denial... Their actions are totally opposite to what they believe(islam), extreme hypocrisy you can say.

Note: I am from Pakistan
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Pakistan needs to get with the times :-)

Its easy to say.... Americans still can't think above race, how you can expect from a society which is on the edge of social, economic and political break down? Plus where we have given birth to religious nuts, which exploit religion to kill people (thanks to UK and ESPECIALLY America)
  • Options
    I didn't hear about it until today either. I think it's a good idea. I think it's important to constantly remind everyone that Islam, or any other religion, is on exactly the same level as any other belief system, and should be subject to the same scrutiny. This campaign isn't about taking the piss out of Islam, it's about taking the piss out of the reactions of the people who claim to follow it. Having said that, some of the individual pictures might be taking the piss out of Islam, or criticising it, which is fair enough.
  • Options
    Just because you have freedom of speech doesnt mean you should have to go and deliberately piss off a large proportion of a faith (Islam), does it?

You are not forced to use your freedom of speech even though you have it.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Just because you have freedom of speech doesnt mean you should have to go and deliberately piss off a large proportion of a faith (Islam), does it?

You are not forced to use your freedom of speech even though you have it.

Well actually, this campaign was in response to Comedy Central's decision to take off a South Park episode in response to violent threats from militant Islamists. So yes, I think it is very important to use your freedom of speech to combat these people.
  • Options
    Anyone who threatens violence against somebody else for some real or (in this case) imaginary offence at their religion of choice, deserves contempt, confrontation and scorn.
  • Options
    Well actually, this campaign was in response to Comedy Central's decision to take off a South Park episode in response to violent threats from militant Islamists. So yes, I think it is very important to use your freedom of speech to combat these people.

So why offend thousands of followers of Islam to make a point at comedy central?

Not all followers of Islam want to kill us (yet)
  • Options
    It wasn't a case that ComedyCentral bottled out showing Mohammed, because he wasn't there to begin with. It was Santa.
  • Options
    Santa was just pretending to being mohammed though wasnt he? To stop the gingers having a go at them.
  • Options
    What is thesite.org's policy on posting pictures of Muhammad?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    *awkward silence*
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    I doubt that TheSite wants fatwas written in some illegible, mangled form of English littering its office, so they probably wouldn't allow it.

Unless they'd consider the word "CENSORED" to be a depiction of Mohammed. In which case I'm well and truly fucked.
  • Options

There's a difference between trying to confront censorship and deliberately trying to antagonise people though isn't there?

e.g. the EDL. They say they want to protect English jobs / livelihoods, they do so by confrontational and then violent marches with plenty of racism thrown in to boot.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    It wasn't a case that ComedyCentral bottled out showing Mohammed, because he wasn't there to begin with. It was Santa.
    Mohammed was there, he was hiding behind the bins.

As I've been suggesting on other sites, though, there's actually no need to seek to deliberately antagonise Muslims, when the real rug chewers will do it all themselves. Any image is sacriligious to them. Billy Connolly with a bomb on his head, say...
  • Options
    Let me start out by saying I am in no way a member of any religious congregation.

We make allowances for religious holidays, we don't desecrate sacred buildings. We respect religious beliefs even if they are not are own. The West is, for the most part, practicing religious tolerance.

So why anybody would go out of their way to offend a (for the most part peaceful) religious community by picking on this one thing - creating an image of a icon they believe should not be seen - is beyond me. It doesn't hurt you not to have pictures of Mohammed around, so why make them?

Yes other religions don't mind sacred images, but this one does. It's a bit different - get over it. I'm sure you'd get a similar response from Christians if you started mashing up the crucifix. Creating them simply offends the majority in an attempt to challenge the militant few. Does anyone really think a facebook group is going to change their religion? Or make them put down their guns?
  • Options
    It's no less valid a response for being the obvious one... Tell that to the Bamyan Buddhas...
  • Options
    ---
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    *awkward silence*

Hardly. Only 7 minutes between your 2 posts. You on speed ?
  • Options
    Well, Google is more than happy to hosts thousands of depictions of the fellow and they haven't been destroyed yet.

I'm sorry but when threats of violence by intolerant biogts are concerned, I'm an advocate of the 'take a double dose, cunt!' approach. The more death threats, the more drawings of Mohammed should be published. In fact, every individual in the world should draw one. Fuck all fundies.
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    Does anyone really think a facebook group is going to change their religion? Or make them put down their guns?

It's not about changing their religion. It's not even addressed at muslims. It's aimed at the cowards in the mainstream media running huge stories about cartoons that offend ignorant bigots who think that the rest of the world should be forced to follow their religion, and then refusing to show the very cartoons they're talking about, effectively hanging a fellow journalist out to dry. By pandering to these people, you're giving them credibility, and heightening the impact of anyone who actually is brave enough to actually express what they think, whatever that may be. This is a show of solidarity with anyone who wants to express their views about any subject in any way they feel is appropriate (well, any way that doesn't harm another person). Moderate muslims presumably support that. If they don't, then I'd be dubious about calling them moderate. Come on, some of the cartoons are actually quite funny.

zapirofull.gif

That doesn't make fun of Muhammad, it doesn't make fun of Islam, it makes fun of the people who are likely to most object to it. And most importantly of all, if nobody was trying to suppress free speech with violent threats, it wouldn't exist.

From the South African Mail & Guardian, btw.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Santa was just pretending to being mohammed though wasnt he? To stop the gingers having a go at them.
    I think it was more a "you can never see him, so you don't know what he looks like, so it can be anyone" type of thing, but we know who Santa is, since we can SEE him. Mohammed was just a suggestive being who we never saw through the episodes, but were convinced it was him - unlike the others.
  • Options
    There's one thing I wasn't quite clear about with that 'South Park' double episode. Did the show's creators use the censor rectangle on Mohammed, and bleep out Kyle's speech at the end deliberately, to make a point, or did the network do all of that, or some of it?
  • Options
    The network did it.
  • Options
    That isn't entirely plausible, though. The network wouldn't have 'censored' Tom Cruise, when Mohammed's 'power to not be mocked' was supposedly transferred to him. More likely, they simply wouldn't have screened the episode.

It looked to me that it was all down to the makers of 'South Park', but they probably made the episodes in the certain knowledge that displaying Mohammed would have been forbidden, so they were ripping on that attitude.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    There's a difference between trying to confront censorship and deliberately trying to antagonise people though isn't there?

e.g. the EDL. They say they want to protect English jobs / livelihoods, they do so by confrontational and then violent marches with plenty of racism thrown in to boot.
    No they don't say any such thing! The EDL just want to peacefully protest against Islamic extremists. There is nothing in their policies about protecting English Jobs and livelihoods, you seem to be mixing then up with the BNP.

They are not racist at all! The EDL has many black and asian members. Also nearly all the violence at EDL events comes from so called anti-racists moblised by groups like Unite Against Fascism who wrongly claim that it is racist to protest against Islamic extremists.
  • Options
    Goldsword wrote: »
    No they don't say any such thing! The EDL just want to peacefully protest against Islamic extremists. There is nothing in their policies about protecting English Jobs and livelihoods, you seem to be mixing then up with the BNP.

They are not racist at all! The EDL has many black and asian members. Also nearly all the violence at EDL events comes from so called anti-racists moblised by groups like Unite Against Fascism who wrongly claim that it is racist to protest against Islamic extremists.

The EDL doesn't have 'many black and Asian' members from what I've seen and read; it has a few that it's very quick and keen to push in front of cameras.

I'll grant you that they've certainly been at pains to try quell racist and overtly violent protesters, but let's not pretend they're anything more than a group of largely white males who like getting together, sinking a few beers, feeling the buzz of being in a group where trouble might kick off, and shouting football-esque chants in unison - usually at other groups.
  • Options
    And as we've discussed previously, are based around key members in hooligan firms of Luton.

I also find the prominence of Israeli flags at their demos to be quite revealing. Especially when combined with campaigns against halal meat being used in mainstream restaurants. This is just tribal bullshit, plain and simple. You cannot be against halal meat, and not also speak out against kosher meat. All of this stuff is deliberately done because they know it winds up both muslims, and any opponents or critics of the current Israeli regime. They are deliberately using the Israeli/Palestine conflict to provoke other groups. It's just ludicrous to suggest that they're not explicitly a far right group, that even the BNP has distanced themselves from.

If they're really only concerned about Islamic extremists, and not muslims in general, then why does the actions of Turkish muslims in Europe cause them concern? If you were to pick muslims from any country as the least likely to open a mosque that contributed to extremism, it would be Turkey.
  • Options
    I also find the prominence of Israeli flags at their demos to be quite revealing.
    Maybe because they want to show solidarity with the people of Israel who have suffered more than any other country from Islamic terrorism.

Also they are not a racist organisation as you keep trying to claim! They were set up because Britain has been for many years the target of Islamic terrorists. Remember this incident by any chance? :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI4ctfQ-aYg&feature=related

The EDL are simply not prepared to stand by and wait until these extremists bomb us again! Remember next time it could be you who gets blown up by these lunatics.