Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Being April (aka Being Shite)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Apart from the fact that this programme is complete shite, and so should never have been made, should the BBC being making a programme where the main character has several children each with a different father?

The fact that one father is gay, another is asian makes me think that the main agenda here is a PC one...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I see what you are saying, but why should they not make a programme like this, many families are made up of step/half brothers/sisters, it's normal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I see what you are saying, but why should they not make a programme like this, many families are made up of step/half brothers/sisters, it's normal.

Is it really "normal"? Or is it a minority of the population?

The programme shouldn't have been made, because its crap. But I would consider the wisdom in presenting such a family as something laudable, or even as normality. I do not know [personally] anyone in such a situation...although I am aware of people (such as my wife) who have divorced and remarried parents, but not a still single parent with as many children with an equal number of different fathers...

Shouldn't our public broadcasters take a small moral stand on some things, or should TV be entirely permissive? Although I do concede that the fathers are at least involved in their children's lives...
  • Options
    I don't know..it's not like I am going to watch that programme and then decide that I want to have 3 children by 3 different men, same as I don't turn gay by watching Queer as Folk, it's entertainment.
  • Options
    I don't know..it's not like I am going to watch that programme and then decide that I want to have 3 children by 3 different men, same as I don't turn gay by watching Queer as Folk,

That's not what I meant, and I doubt that anything would have such an instant effect anyway. What I mean is that by suggesting that this kind of lifestyle is acceptable (or normal) we move the boundaries of permissiveness a little further.

When you consider that we have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe, and for the first time recently had one health authorty reporting more than 50% of births were to single mothers, you have to ask questions about the kind of message this programme sends. At a time when we are considering that sex education should not just be about the biology, but also the emotions and consequences, shouldn't we consider this type of programme as undermining that message...even in a small way?

I have no problem with teengaers having sex, it happens and will continue to do so, but we shouldn't pretend that being a single parent in this way, is anything other than extremely difficult.

Take a look at other societies in Europe (esp Holland and Italy) and you will get a different appraoch. Whilst the Dutch are very open, they also have strong morals. Although they accept teenage sex, they also shun (or at least are less tolerant) of teenage mothers...
    it's entertainment.

Which is my major problem with the programme. Personally, I don't think it is.

Regardless of what I think of the moral approach, I just don't think it is good TV either...
  • Options
    But she isn't a teenage mother is she?
    Single parenthoood may not be ideal but it happens.
    If you don't like the programme, that's a diferent issue. You could say the same about Eastenders, can't show Janine being a prostitute or Sonia being a teenage Mum (and Eastenders is a family show at 7:30 pm, Being April is not).
  • Options
    - I don't think "shunnning" teenageparents (not just girls remember!) is an answer to anything.
  • Options
    But she isn't a teenage mother is she?

No, but the message is deliverd to teenagers. I'd like to think that teenagers are too aware these days but having read some of the "sex" threads, I'm not so confident...

And the kids aren't babies either, which suggests that she had them a few years ago...
    Single parenthoood may not be ideal but it happens.

Yes it happens, doesn' mean that it should be made out to be an attractive thing though...
    If you don't like the programme, that's a diferent issue. You could say the same about Eastenders, can't show Janine being a prostitute or Sonia being a teenage Mum (and Eastenders is a family show at 7:30 pm, Being April is not).

now look at those stories. i don't see either of them thriving.

Sonia is seeing the consequences of her actions, and is suffering emotionally.

Janine isn't exactly living the high life is she - suicide attempt etc
    I don't think "shunnning" teenageparents (not just girls remember!) is an answer to anything.]

Until you see their teenage pregnancy rate is so much lower than ours...
  • Options
    Just a thought, but as this seems to be a two-way conversation, wouldn't it have been easier for one of us to pick up the phone and call the other?

:)
  • Options
    No I don't talk to strangers, unless you give me your credit card number. ;)

I am a teenager (just) and am not as thick as everyone makes out, a TV programme doesn't make someone do something!
  • Options
    No I don't talk to strangers, unless you give me your credit card number. ;)

If I give you my credit card number, I'd want more than a chat :p

Which takes us back to your "Have You Ever" thread...
    I am a teenager (just) and am not as thick as everyone makes out, a TV programme doesn't make someone do something!

Look at what I said earlier. I don't think that a single programme would either. I just think it undermines what we should be teaching teenagers...

Education doesn't only come from school - there are other influences and TV is a big one. if it wasn't then advertisers wouldn't use it...or have you never seen a TV advert and thought "oooh that looks interesting"...