Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Election Result - Left Wing Coup

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Seriously, that's what one Daily Mail columnist suggests.

When you've finished laughing, tell us what you think...

Comments

• Options
    Jesus wept.

The woman is a fucking fruitcake. Has been for years.
  • Options
    I think it's Melanie Phillips and there would therefore be no benefit to my life from reading it.
  • Options
    Next week, she'll be telling us that the election result is part of a Muslim conspiracy.

Melanie Phillips really is reaching levels of madness only seen before in the likes of Ann Coulter.
  • Options
    Is this a left wing coup? I certainly hope so but I fear not.
  • Options
    Her column on the day after Obama won the US election was truly fucking priceless :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Her column on the day after Obama won the US election was truly fucking priceless :D

Link? I don't think I saw that...
  • Options
    I've done a few searches but no joy so far. I have come across a similarly deluded rant in the Specator shortly before the US election, in which she warns anyone who'll listen against the evil dangers of an Obama victory

http://www.spectator.co.uk/melaniephillips/2545716/is-america-really-going-to-do-this.thtml
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Philips is one of those poeple (like Jeremy Kyle) who I would quite happlily do bird for sparking out. Some people are just horrible cunts to the core.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    left-wing coup?

For many years now, there has been little difference in policy between the main parties. And I can't see this changing in the near future. Leftist politics in the UK (if in the Old Labour sense) got discredited long ago. this is the main reason why all of the major parties have similarities in their policies.

And even after the recession, no party wants to go back to how things were economically pre-Thatcher. I think personally the solution is to rely less on financial services, but I'm not an economist.
  • Options
    Jesus wept. The woman is a fucking fruitcake. Has been for years.
    No she is not. She is one of the few journalists brave enough to take on the subject Islamic extremism in Britain. Her book Londonistan was groundbreaking in that it said what most journalists knew but dared not say.

Incidently she started off writting for the left wing Guardian newspaper in the 1970s so she is hardly a typical Daily Mail journalist.
  • Options
    By yoking themselves to the Lib Dems, who are neither liberal nor democratic, the Tories have formed a government that in many respects is to the left of Labour.
    Ha ha ha ha, oh wow. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Goldsword wrote: »
    She is one of the few journalists brave enough to take on the subject Islamic extremism in Britain.
    I remain of the opinion she's a nutter, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Long may she continue to take on this supposedly peaceful, tolerant religion.
  • Options
    Islam is a peaceful and tolerant religion.

Same with islam as they have with any other religion, there are nut cases, I dont think its a good idea or even right to generalise about this.

Its good that people take on islamic extremism, but im sure the argument would work better if it wasnt a nut job making the points.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I remain of the opinion she's a nutter, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Long may she continue to take on this supposedly peaceful, tolerant religion.

Islam is the same as virtually all human organisations in that there are some that use it for devisive and nasty aims. There is nothing inherantly unpeaceful about it (if that is such as word).
  • Options
    Goldsword wrote: »
    No she is not. She is one of the few journalists brave enough to take on the subject Islamic extremism in Britain. Her book Londonistan was groundbreaking in that it said what most journalists knew but dared not say.

She doesn't take on Islamic extremism, she takes on Islam. And unlike someone like Douglas Murray or Christopher Hitchens, she does it from the hypocritical position of being a raving religious loony herself. She opposes Islam because she's a religious fundamentalist that wants to impose her religious idiocy on the rest of society. Now while someone from that position may occasionally make a criticism about an opposing ideology that is accurate, that doesn't make their critique in any way rational or their views anything other than the rantings of the ideologue who in incapable of thinking for themselves (or deliberately refuses to do so for money - you never can tell). She's just another far-right stereotype to join the ranks of Richard Littlejohn and Peter Hitchens. Let me guess, you oppose homosexuality, think political correctness has gone mad, supported the Iraq war, unquestioningly support Israel, and can't back any of these positions up with a reasoned or evidence-based argument? What a surprise. :rolleyes: To be fair to Peter Hitchens, at least he opposed Iraq.

But more than that, she denies evolution and supports the teaching of creationism in British schools. She denies global warming. I say she denies global warming. Sometimes she accepts global warming and just denies that it's man-made, whereas other times she claims that temperatures aren't even increasing. In other words, she flip-flops depending on what's convenient to her argument, as you would expect from someone with zero scientific understanding and zero intellectual integrity. She also deliberately flies in the face of all scientific evidence with respect to the MMR vaccine.

When you see the way she denies things with such overwhelming evidence when they fly in the face of her existing ideology, you can see how she does the same on less clear social issues, like the issues surrounding Islam. The idea that Melanie Phillips has anything of value to say about any issues is absolutely laughable. There are plenty of excellent critiques of Islam out there without relying on this moron. Some of them are far more robust too, but they're based on a genuine open-minded inquiry.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

I hate that expression, it grates on me.

Yeah it might be right twice a day, if you have another watch to tell the time.

Same as she might be right twice in a blue moon, if you could find someone sane to stand next to her to argue in her case.
  • Options
    Argh, can't stand that woman. She was on Question Time once and I was seriously tempted to throw my mug at the TV set.
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    Islam is a peaceful and tolerant religion.
    budda wrote: »
    Islam is the same as virtually all human organisations in that there are some that use it for devisive and nasty aims. There is nothing inherantly unpeaceful about it (if that is such as word).
    Serious question...

What would it take for you to be convinced that there IS something inherently unpeaceful/intolerant about Islam? What would Islam need to consist of in order for you to be convinced that it IS inherently an intolerant religion?
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    Serious question...

What would it take for you to be convinced that there IS something inherently unpeaceful/intolerant about Islam? What would Islam need to consist of in order for you to be convinced that it IS inherently an intolerant religion?
    No more so than any other mainstream religion, actually.

That's why the singling out of Islam is wrong, and raises many, many alarms about the true agenda of many of those behind it.

I don't have any time for organise religion and seriously believe is the single most destructive and damaging affliction that has affected humanity in its history. I would like to think Islam, together with all other religions, will have disappeared from human culture, or at least their followers will have drastically changed their way of embracing their religion. But let's not pretend Islam is some bogeyman of religious beliefs, because it ain't.

Frankly, your ultra-obsession with Islam and apparent lack of interest for just about anything else being debated here is starting to puzzle me a bit.
  • Options
    I'll tell you what Aladdin, you target Christianity, I'll target Islam, and together we'll confine this Abrahamic nonsense to history. Deal?

I'll respond to your post properly when I get home.
  • Options
    Frankly, your ultra-obsession with Islam and apparent lack of interest for just about anything else being debated here is starting to puzzle me a bit.

Actually, I think sanitize's stance as an ex-Muslim himself gives him a better understanding of Islam than what you or I have.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    Serious question...

You're involved in taking this thread off-topic now? ;)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Actually, I think sanitize's stance as an ex-Muslim himself gives him a better understanding of Islam than what you or I have.
    Well I'm an ex-Christian and am fully aware of both the unacceptable aspects of Christianity and the atrocities commited in its name by some Christians, but I am not in the business of becoming a one-man warning the world of the terrible evils of Christianity.

All religions are as flawed as each other and as open to be used as instruments of control and power. I see no point in banging on endlessly about just one of them when it's not particularly worse than the others tbh.
  • Options
    Well I'm an ex-Christian and am fully aware of both the unacceptable aspects of Christianity and the atrocities commited in its name by some Christians, but I am not in the business of becoming a one-man warning the world of the terrible evils of Christianity.

All religions are as flawed as each other and as open to be used as instruments of control and power. I see no point in banging on endlessly about just one of them when it's not particularly worse than the others tbh.

But you do frequently post very anti-Christian posts so in a sense, you are doing exactly that (p.s. that's not a criticism by the way). You have a drum to bang about Christianity while sanitize has a drum to bang about Islam. I don't think he is saying all Muslims are bad. He's saying that Islam is bad. But I think it's a mistake to believe that all religions are 'equally bad' or 'equally violent' when they patently are not.
  • Options
    I don't have any time for organised religion and seriously believe is the single most destructive and damaging affliction that has affected humanity in its history.

They are like all human organisations. All (or at least the majority) of human organisations have at certain points been used for greedy self serving purposes. Exactly the same points can be made against something like the Communist party as came be made against either organised Islam or the Catholic Church. Removing religion would make no difference at all, humans sadly like to look at other groups and blame them for their problems. Any person or organisation that is really sure they are right causes problems. That's because if you are definitely right that makes others wrong, you have to either convince them or destory them.