Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

A sad day for Rock...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
John Entwistle

Salute to John Entwistle, bassist with The Who, who died yesterday. Many of you won't have heard of him or appreciate his music, but he was one of the greatest musicians of his generation (and genre).

Sympathy goes to his family (2 wives and a son) and to the two remaining original members of the band.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He was one of the greatest if not the greatest rock bassists of all time. His style was truly unique and he will be missed by a lot of people myself included becuase I was looking forward to coming to see them when they play England next.

He was a quality bass player and was the driving force of the greates rock band in the world.
    Can't believe no-one else has left their thoughts. He was a huge part of the WHO and it's really sad.

Found out at Glastonbury and was really upset.
    It is indeed a tragady, and the reason more people haven't left messages IMHO is because they don't know who he was or don't appreciate skill when they hear it.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    they don't know who he was or don't appreciate skill when they hear it.

I think it's just that they don't know. Remember only us oldies would really have had the opportunity to hear new songs from them etc and it would be our parents who had grown up with them.

I consider myself lucky that my Dad was a huge fan of theirs and intorduced me to their music at a young age - hell I remember when "You Better, You Bet" was released as a single...I was also fortunate enough to see them in concert recently (not the one with the Stereophonic et al) and will never forget that...
    I've heard a couple of songs from the who, its not really my music, but I still respect other musicians, because all musicians are very skilled at what they do. My dad likes the who and he was very upset when he found out. He always tells me that when he was younger they had proper musicians that played for the fans and because they enjoyed the music and not played for the money...and he gets very upset when one of his heroes from his youth dies (quite understandably)

...and with John Entwistle....a lot of people respected him and he was a great musician and I hope that people remember him!! :)

And thats coming from a Hard House fan ;)
    Originally posted by Maypoo
    He always tells me that when he was younger they had proper musicians that played for the fans and because they enjoyed the music and not played for the money...

Sorry to steal the thread, but who was the musician (of that era) who told the fans 'I'm not here for you, I;m here because you paid me to be?'. Thought that was quite funny and honest of them.

Back to the subject, and it is a shame that more people don't look into older music because there are some real gems. Some of my mates think that by listeneing to Abba they are appreaciating 70s music (I'm not saying they aren't, lol, but there is a lot more there to find!)
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

Back to the subject, and it is a shame that more people don't look into older music because there are some real gems. Some of my mates think that by listeneing to Abba they are appreaciating 70s music (I'm not saying they aren't, lol, but there is a lot more there to find!)

Well considering the state of music today, it leaves any true music fan without much choice. The styles and bands around in the past simply haven't been matched - the likes of Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, the Who etc are simply unrivalled in what they did.

So yes, I agree, it is exceptionally sad that people neglect past greats.