Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fantasy Book Readers?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Are there any fans of fantasy reading on here? I am a huge fan of the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott and wanted to see if there was anyone else likeminded. Come say hellooooo!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I LOVE the 'Bedlams Bard' series by Mercedes lackey and rosemary edgehill :)
  • Options
    My favourite fantasy books are the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

I also like Trudi Canvan's series, both the black magician one and the priestess of the white one.

Alison Croggan's Pellinor series is good but aimed at younger readers and Jude Fisher's Fool's Gold series is also worth a read.

Karen Miller's Kingmaker books are also good.

I haven't read either of the series that you folks have posted but I'll have a nosy next time I'm in Ottakers.
  • Options
    Sera wrote: »

I also like Trudi Canvan's series, both the black magician one and the priestess of the white one.

Alison Croggan's Pellinor series is good but aimed at younger readers and Jude Fisher's Fool's Gold series is also worth a read.

Karen Miller's Kingmaker books are also good.

I haven't read either of the series that you folks have posted but I'll have a nosy next time I'm in Ottakers.

I've heard of Pellinor....what is it about, if you please?
  • Options
    I've heard of Pellinor....what is it about, if you please?

From Amazon: Maerad is a slave in a desperate and unforgiving settlement, taken there as a child when her family is destroyed in war. She is unaware that she possesses a powerful gift, a gift that marks her as a member of the School of Pellinor. It is only when she is discovered by Cadvan, one of the great Bards of Lirigon, that her true heritage and extraordinary destiny unfolds. Now she and her teacher, Cadvan, must survive a punishing and uncertain journey through a time and place where the dark forces they battle with stem from the deepest recesses of other-worldly terror.
    :)
  • Options
    I only really read fantasy books and love em!

My favorite author right now is Joe Abercrombie who did The First Law trilogy and Best Served Cold - hes quite a new author but its brilliantly snappy and the blackest humour ive ever read - a truly fantastic author with moments where the books grab you by the bellend and drag you along screaming!

Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind is also one of the best fantasy books ive ever read but the sequel to the first in the trilogy has been 4 years and counting at the moment :yeees:

I also personally love the Discworld series but its hard to not like such a set of easy reading books that always put a smile on your face :)
  • Options
    Eragon series. Harry Potter obv :p I have the Robin Hobb books in my book case to read. Anne Rice books. Sookie Stackhouse Diaries. Artimus Fowl I liked too.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I mainly read fantasy as well.
    I found discworld to be very boring actually.

Harry Potter was great, pity it took me too long to start reading it. Better late than never, I guess.

I'm also a big fan of Terry Brooks's work, mainly the Shannara and Word & Void series.

A series which I like a lot but isn't very well knowin is the Death Gate Cycle.
  • Options
    Ooooh i forgot.. has anyone read this guy's books?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Moore_(author)

laugh out out funny :)
  • Options
    Those who like sword and sorcery type fantasy should check out RA Salavtore. I used to read a lot of his stuff. My focus has shifted a bit now though I tend to prefer space-based stuff.
  • Options
    Sera wrote: »

Same! I have lost track of how may times I have read the Farseer Trilogy. The other books by Hobb are all good too.

Also, got to give the Lord of the Rings a mention- very well realised setting, although I usually skip the elvish poetry stuff.
  • Options
    Is there anything wrong with having read most of Terry Pratchet by the age of 15?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Is there anything wrong with having read most of Terry Pratchet by the age of 15?

Em no because I had them all read (that he had released at the time) by the ageof 15.

I love Trudi Canvan Series also. Then there is Anne McCaffrey's series -definitely my fav and also my first ever fantasy book I read. I also love James Clemens and Robert Jordan and well really there is too many too count. I have over 300 books on my bookshelf, all fantasy. I could open my own library, lol. :hyper:
  • Options
    The Skulduggery Pleasant series are brilliant. Witty, interesting and brilliant plots, I love them :]
  • Options
    fish94 wrote: »
    The Skulduggery Pleasant series are brilliant. Witty, interesting and brilliant plots, I love them :]

I totally agree. Fantastic series. Would recommend them to anyone :)
  • Options
    Stenzmann wrote: »
    They give hints for the game every few days on the Facebook Page

Thanks!
  • Options
    oooh and i think i've mentioned him before, but Tom Holt is another comedy/fantasy writer i'd recommend :)
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    oooh and i think i've mentioned him before, but Tom Holt is another comedy/fantasy writer i'd recommend :)

He's absolutely brilliant. I love him :)
  • Options
    Really into my fantasy reading. My dad has collected them for the last ten years so i end up reading all his.

Like Robin Hobbs, David Eddings, Terry Brooks, David Gemmell and those sort of myth and magic type books. Not really into the space end of the fantasy range.
  • Options
    Thats how I started too. My dad had over 300 hundred fantasy books. Lol and I read them all and started my own collection :)
  • Options
    No love for the Song of Ice and Fire series? I think George R. R. Martin managed to do an incredible job bringing to together some of the typical elements of fantasy and a more brutal and realistic look at a medieval world. The soon to be shown HBO adaptation should be interesting.

It is far darker than most of the fiction mentioned here but I've found what I read of the series so far I great re-introduction into a genre that can feel a little too similar at times. This really isn't Terry Pratchett's world (although I did love Discworld back in the day)

And as for the classics, I love Lord of the Rings, still amazed that even after all these years each time I read it I seem to pick up on new themes or story elements.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    No love for the Song of Ice and Fire series? I think George R. R. Martin managed to do an incredible job bringing to together some of the typical elements of fantasy and a more brutal and realistic look at a medieval world. The soon to be shown HBO adaptation should be interesting.

It is far darker than most of the fiction mentioned here but I've found what I read of the series so far I great re-introduction into a genre that can feel a little too similar at times. This really isn't Terry Pratchett's world (although I did love Discworld back in the day)

And as for the classics, I love Lord of the Rings, still amazed that even after all these years each time I read it I seem to pick up on new themes or story elements.

yeah I'm pumped to see this HBO miniseries....I've said it since I first heard about it, Miniseries format might be the best way to portray these fantasy series on screen and accurately.
  • Options
    Trouble i find is depends who is doing the mini series. Is it the Yanks or the Brits? Because the Yanks absolutely ruined The Sword of Truth series, it was like Xena/Hercules cheap, fake tv.
  • Options
    Carolina wrote: »
    Trouble i find is depends who is doing the mini series. Is it the Yanks or the Brits? Because the Yanks absolutely ruined The Sword of Truth series, it was like Xena/Hercules cheap, fake tv.

I think it's the yanks, but HBO hardly f's stuff up, so I wouldn't be worried.
  • Options
    Pretty much all UK actors as far as I know - Sean Bean and a load of RSC peeps. I'd expect something far more along the lines of Deadwood or Carnivale rather than Legend of the Seeker or Hercules...

Of course that might mean it's brilliant and then they'll cancel it one season too early without warning :grump:

You can see the full cast list here -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_(TV_series)

Tom McCarthy, the director, was responsible for The Station Agent and episodes of The Wire - so it should be in good hands.