Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Shot put/Discus - Improving Distance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
On friday I'm doing this atheltic thing for the whole day with my school, I've chosen to do Shot put or Discus (Think I'm doing Shotput though)

Is there any tips/advice anyone can give me to improve my distance?
I went to athletics club today to practice my throwing and because I'm year 10 I'm throwing the heavy one (year 9 boys/year 10 girls weight)
I'm not that strong so I'm at a bit of disadvantage, but any way to improve? Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

Thanks in advanced.:wave:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm by no means an expert, so don't quote me on this, but I think what you're looking for is power and explosiveness. So that's things like stair runs, sprints, rowing, maybe a bit of mixed martial arts, and some weight training too. But yeah, search for tips on improving power and explosiveness, and it all should be good. And other than that, technique, obviously.
    They made me do the shot put once for sports day. I just threw it on the ground in protest, then lined up for the running race, which I could actually win.

If you're not very strong, why are they making you throw a heavy object? Seems silly.
    Ive been volunteered to do the hammer throw, I have no idea :)
    It's hammer time.
    Technique is probably the thing you'll be able to work on the most between now and the actual event.

See if you can get some help from someone who knows what they're doing, and can help you to adjust your position etc.

Good luck x
    MrG wrote: »
    Ive been volunteered to do the hammer throw, I have no idea :)

Ah, the one where you wipe out half the crowd if you get it wrong.
    Oh yes :D
    Doing Discus now, which I'm less suckish at! :)
    But thanks for the tips!