Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

School trips to Church

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not posted in ages, but this thread made me want to...

B.A., if you're the cream of the crop, the mind of the future, and someone who will likely be going to university, I dread what the future actually holds for our society...

I would dread it if you were one of my students because not only are you close-minded (doesn't matter how you try to dress it up that you aren't), you hate being challenged on your own beliefs and resort to petty name calling and insults to 'win'. I'm sure you're a lovely person when things go your way and you run the show, but a person's character is measured by how they react when the shit hits the fan.

Someone who won't be told what to think (even when you're not, my guess is that how you perceive it), and someone who runs away from facing personal challenges (as FireFly85 has aptly argued), is not someone whom I would consider a 'success' in education in any sense of the phrase.

Please don't try and aim any of your small-minded, petty, and vindictive ire in my direction simply because I'm just calling it like I see it. I'm not going to get upset by a random individual on the internet (although neither should you) :thumb:
    What, so you came back just to drag up an old thread which is probably no longer relevant, not to be helpful or offer advice, but just to criticise the OP?

How very kind of you to take time out of your busy schedule to point out the faults of someone you've never met.
    Funny that still being on the front page and barely two weeks since it was created makes a thread 'old'.

And yes, I did do it to criticise the OP. She only wanted one answer, and she didn't like the other ones she got.

And yes, I probably shouldn't be wasting my time over this, but I am. Get over it.
    Fair enough, you can do what you like, it just seemed a bit unnecessary, when she clearly was given a hard enough time about it two weeks ago. I don't get why you would come back to a messageboard you've been away from for months just to call someone else petty and vindictive or to level a load of criticism at a 13 year old, it seemed a bit unduly harsh and nasty. But hopefully she isn't around and won't be reading this stuff anyway.
    Even though she was given a hard time about it, she did the typical adolescent thing of 'nah nah nah, I don't want to hear about it and I don't give a fuck what people think of me'. From my own personal experience, I'm sure at the age of 13 I had a reasonably well-developed sense of personal accountability and was able to formulate an argument of why I didn't want to do something that didn't rely on insults or circular logic.

And for the record, I wasn't calling her petty, small-minded, and vindictive, but rather that she shouldn't aim that kind of ire at me for being honest (given what she said to Little Missy, however, I don't think that I'm far off base with my evaluation).

She shouldn't be insulated from her actions or from those people who might disagree with those actions. In fact, I hope she reads it since she might get a sense that her behaviour wouldn't be tolerated in any sensible, adult society.
    I will offer my final thoughts on it and then leave you to carry on criticising Broken-Angel if that is what you are inclined to do:

I don't get why you're wading in, that's all. People made their thoughts clear to her two weeks ago, it's been left, why drag it up again, just to be condescending and sanctimonious? Hasn't she been scolded enough? Two weeks ago she asked for the thread to be dropped, and it should have been.

For the record, my interpretation on the initial conversation, prior to your intervention, is this: yes, Broken-Angel was undoubtedly unpleasant and rude, and in places petulant. However, it seems clear to me that she reacted like this as a result of being either patronised or insulted by the people responding to her question. She wasn't asking for people's opinions on whether she ought to go to church or not. She was asking whether she was legally required to go, or whether she had a legal right to excuse herself from it.

The multiple opinions offered that she ought to go were entirely unsolicited, and furthermore, were generally accompanied by unfounded assertions about her reasons for not wanting to go, assertions that she is closed-minded, bigoted, adolescent...then she was accused of telling lies...well I'm in my thirties, but those assumptions about my character would have pissed me off too.

Yes, she reacted badly and got overly emotional and started flinging insults about, and that's not ok. But it's not exactly surprising either, given that people couldn't wait to patronise her and offer her advice she hadn't asked for. For the record, as most people who are currently around here are aware, Broken-Angel is actually remarkably intelligent, insightful and mature for her 13 years. She has a bit of a quick temper and can be a bit dramatic or overly emotional at times, but who wasn't when they were 13? Jesus, I still am now.

And she has enough insight to be aware that she was rude to littlemissy, and others. She doesn't need more people wading in to scold her two weeks later, for no good reason.

My 2p.
    jamelia wrote: »
    I will offer my final thoughts on it and then leave you to carry on criticising Broken-Angel if that is what you are inclined to do:

I don't get why you're wading in, that's all. People made their thoughts clear to her two weeks ago, it's been left, why drag it up again, just to be condescending and sanctimonious? Hasn't she been scolded enough? Two weeks ago she asked for the thread to be dropped, and it should have been.

For the record, my interpretation on the initial conversation, prior to your intervention, is this: yes, Broken-Angel was undoubtedly unpleasant and rude, and in places petulant. However, it seems clear to me that she reacted like this as a result of being either patronised or insulted by the people responding to her question. She wasn't asking for people's opinions on whether she ought to go to church or not. She was asking whether she was legally required to go, or whether she had a legal right to excuse herself from it.

The multiple opinions offered that she ought to go were entirely unsolicited, and furthermore, were generally accompanied by unfounded assertions about her reasons for not wanting to go, assertions that she is closed-minded, bigoted, adolescent...then she was accused of telling lies...well I'm in my thirties, but those assumptions about my character would have pissed me off too.

Yes, she reacted badly and got overly emotional and started flinging insults about, and that's not ok. But it's not exactly surprising either, given that people couldn't wait to patronise her and offer her advice she hadn't asked for. For the record, as most people who are currently around here are aware, Broken-Angel is actually remarkably intelligent, insightful and mature for her 13 years. She has a bit of a quick temper and can be a bit dramatic or overly emotional at times, but who wasn't when they were 13? Jesus, I still am now.

And she has enough insight to be aware that she was rude to littlemissy, and others. She doesn't need more people wading in to scold her two weeks later, for no good reason.

My 2p.

I think we should schedule in some time to make out.
    I think we should schedule in some time to make out.
    :blush:

Darling, I have been thinking that for a long time.
    I'm 'wading in' simply because it's the first topic I've seen in the student forum that's made me care enough to contribute. Of course any character slur that was aimed at B.A. is out of order, but she didn't help her cause any (as you've mentioned).

I just think that if this B.A. is indicative of the state of adolescents who are going to be running the country in the future (although I'm sure (and hope) she isn't), then I'm worried. If she's as intelligent, insightful and mature for 13 y/o as you say she is, I see little evidence of it, because all I see is an opinionated adolescent (not in a good way) who wants to get her own way and won't beat about the bush voicing her direct opposition. As has already been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there are ways and means of getting your point across without resorting to the kinds of tactics B.A. employed. Of course the responses to her question were unwarranted, but that doesn't mean they're any less valid.

That's all I've got to say about it. Haha, back for two minutes and I'm already causing controversy :thumb:
    I just think that if this B.A. is indicative of the state of adolescents who are going to be running the country in the future (although I'm sure (and hope) she isn't), then I'm worried. If she's as intelligent, insightful and mature for 13 y/o as you say she is, I see little evidence of it, because all I see is an opinionated adolescent (not in a good way) who wants to get her own way and won't beat about the bush voicing her direct opposition. As has already been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, there are ways and means of getting your point across without resorting to the kinds of tactics B.A. employed. Of course the responses to her question were unwarranted, but that doesn't mean they're any less valid.

Don't you remember what you were like when you were 13? I suspect that you're looking at yourself through rose tinted spectacles and you too were overly opinionated and wanted your own way.
    grace wrote: »
    Don't you remember what you were like when you were 13? I suspect that you're looking at yourself through rose tinted spectacles and you too were overly opinionated and wanted your own way.

If only I was... :(

Honestly, the way I was brought up by my parents meant that I could voice my opinion, but I rarely 'got my own way'.
    (although I'm sure (and hope) she isn't)

So, you are saying I am stupid? Oh do fuck off. You'll be pleased to here that I want to be a criminal defence lawyer, not the prime-minister.
    But if you think I'll end up in Maccy D's you are mistaken.

/Leaves thesite again. For good this time, I've had enough of the people here... admittedly, the majority of you are lovely and I'll miss you.. but I can't put up with the shit anymore. I've been doing well, stopping smoking, stopped self harming, not drinking too much, doing a full timetable at school... but I don't want to get worse, so it is therefore better if I do not have to read the shit people say about me :rolleyes:

If any of you really want to stay in touch, PM strubbles and he'll give you my email. But I doubt to hear from any of you.

Much love, Broken-Angel x
    Well I think we may as well close this thread now.

and seriously KingofGlasgow - that really read like you attacking a 13 year old for having an opinion you didn't like and not expressing it in a way you agreed with. Admittedly she hasn't expressed herself well at times here but she's a 13 years old, come on. What you've posted isn't pleasant to read and I'm really surprised to see it from you - it's not something I would have expected and is really disappointing.
This discussion has been closed.