Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

MAJOR HELP NEEDED- general theory of crime by Gottfredson & hirschi (1990)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
anyone have any clue at all what its about?
all the books have been taken out of library and theres nothing on web
PLEASE tell me someone has done this essay or something & can help me cause i have no idea what its about and i need to discus the theory or somthing to pass this uni year
HELPPPPP
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The basic jist of it is, that Gottfredson says that crime evolves from a secret desire to your mum, whereas according to Hirschi it is a envy of other peoples genital size (or, for example, aesthetics in the case of criminal woman [1]).

To substantiate the former I would like to citate from Gottfredson's letter to his mother.
    "Oh Mother, what have I done? I took this man's watch. I don't regret a thing. Why have you never loved me like I love you? Oh mum I would have treated you so much better than father." [2]

[1] citation: Hirschi et al "The evil inside us and the connection to penile expectations", 1989
    [2] Ferdinand Gottfredson and Hildegard Vagoo "All cunts, except mother." 1994
  • Options
    have you checked googlebooks?
  • Options
    you might find it under sociology. or try looking for criminal justice and sociology as you may just be using the wrong terms.
  • Options
    thanks :) yeh i REALLY need that book as google & amazon books dont let you read it all but because everyone wants to do the same question theres none in the library ahhh :(
    I've done the introduction bit now but I've still good to discuss it and theres hardly anything saying evidence thats good about it only bad. Ahh I'm on 500 words, 1,500 left :/ && nothing left to say ...
  • Options
    find someone who disagrees with what you've written.
  • Options
    i need someone to agree with the theory i mean
    but only 2 people seem to agree ahh this is impossible!!
  • Options
    Instead of finding people who agree, you could look at where the theory came from, so use some of the references from the book.
  • Options
    i did it and handed it in wooop :) so if anyone else needs help on answering the same/similar question ever i can help :)
    thanks to everyone :) x