Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Cruise Ship/Yacht jobs????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been interested in these for some time now.
I am seriously bored of my job.

I need to think about my future as I am stuck in a dead end job and had enough working there. I want to think things through.

I would just like to know if I could get a job on a sailing yacht without ANY experience, preferably within the UK.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Don't work on a cruise ship. They're for poorly educated people with orange skin and good social skills, unless you get into the upper echolons of head purser or higher.

You WILL work 24/7. It's not as if they can call Sharon in Luton to do an extra shift if you're sailing round the med. If something needs doing and you're able to do it, you'll do it even if you've just finished a 12 hr shift.

Working a yacht sounds fun, dunno if you'd get on one with no skills. Training yachts maybe ??
    I doubt you would be able to get a job on a cruise ship to be honest.

I have a friend who was a dancer on a ship. Apart from her and the other entertainment staff, the entire staff is drawn from the developing world, because they can employ people from exceptionally poor countries for peanuts. Most of the staff on the cruise liner she was on were Filipino, if I remember correctly. They certainly don't draw their catering, housekeeping staff etc from the UK, because they would have to treat them too well and pay them too much money.
    I know someone who did manage to get a gap year job as a photographer on a cruise ship, and he had a good time... I think if you're looking for a job, stick to companies that you've heard good things about.

And as for yachting.... In theory you can get a job as either a steward or a deckhand with no experience, but in practice, I think you would have to be very lucky... and be in the right place at the right time.

I know people (with experience) who have turned up at ports at the right time in the season for ocean passages who have got jobs. People had let the crew down and they needed an extra person to set sail. But.. they had experience and obviously were willing to drop everything and leave the UK.

How do you even know that sailing is something you want to get into? Some people can be horrifically seasick (most people get over a little bit of seasickness but some people being at sea just doesn't work for them). Maybe do a sailing course? I suggest doing your competent crew which should take about 5 days and is a RYA qualification - its a good starting point. There are various agencies that match crew to boat and vice versa... many of these are unpaid unless you're qualified to quite a high standard.

Hmmm I'm not saying you should give up... But I think its going to take longer than you realise to make it happen.
    2 other things that might put you off cruise ship work

Norovirus

Jane McDonald
    jamelia wrote: »
    I doubt you would be able to get a job on a cruise ship to be honest.

I have a friend who was a dancer on a ship. Apart from her and the other entertainment staff, the entire staff is drawn from the developing world, because they can employ people from exceptionally poor countries for peanuts. Most of the staff on the cruise liner she was on were Filipino, if I remember correctly. They certainly don't draw their catering, housekeeping staff etc from the UK, because they would have to treat them too well and pay them too much money.

Yeah my ex-boyfriend was Brazilian and he now works on a cruise ship. All the staff pretty much are South American, the pay is rubbish but it's alot if you live in South America, they work really long hours too.
    Think I'll give it a miss tbh
    Think I'll give it a miss tbh

Go for it if you're sure its something you want to do! It just might not be something that will happen for you straight away. If you really hate your job, could you look for another one and at the same time build up skills suited for a job at sea? Maybe try and volunteer on a sailing vessel in the UK? There are many which help various different groups of people learn to sail.

Also during the winter many sailing boats have a refit, where a large part of the work is unskilled. And so from October onwards, have a look for sailing organisations / individuals who are looking for volunteers to help them out during the winter season. If you go along for a few weekends, they'll get to know you and you may be able to get sailing next season (probably still unpaid for the moment though.)

All the best if its something you want to do.