Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Teacher who attacked student with a weight

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1269833/Dumbbell-attack-teacher-Peter-Harvey-cleared-attempted-murder.html

As some of you know, the teacher was cleared of attempted murder but still convicted of GBH.

That's fair enough, he had a trial by jury and they found him innocent of a crime. What concerns me though are the comments people have left, that somehow it's ok to batter a 14 year old half to death with a dumbbell just because the lad was a troublemaker.

The story says he'd been told off 9 times in a year, as if to say it makes him a monster. I regularly sit on exclusion panels of children who have 10 times that number. 9 tellings off in a year is nothing.

Thats it really, just don't understand the mentality. There are other ways of dealing with unruly pupils, and the law even allows a teacher to use force to control a classroom. Just seems the bloke lost it and people are applauding him for it.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's so out of order, him being cleared of attempted murder. If every time I got told off, I was hit with a weight, almost every teacher in the school would of been fired by now! Injuring someone, in your care, is not acceptable. Even if they are a "troublemaker"
    If that was a parent, at home, hitting their naughty kid with a dumbbell there is no way that people would be so light on them!
    Xx
  • Options
    I think the right decision was made all in all. The teacher should never have been put on trial for attempted murder. Without a doubt, his behaviour has been incredibly stupid, but whoever at the CPS thought this should come to trial for attempted murder is a prat who should be sacked immediately.

I notice there's not a great deal of condemnation for some of the disruptive little bastards that he was having to teach here. Quite telling, I reckon. Children need discipline.

Oh yes, and to the person who thought it was a good idea for him to "spend eight months on remand before the trial - despite his own mental state, his wife suffering severe depression and their daughter having Asperger's syndrome." - you're a cunt.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I think the right decision was made all in all. The teacher should never have been put on trial for attempted murder. Without a doubt, his behaviour has been incredibly stupid, but whoever at the CPS thought this should come to trial for attempted murder is a prat who should be sacked immediately.

I notice there's not a great deal of condemnation for some of the disruptive little bastards that he was having to teach here. Quite telling, I reckon. Children need discipline.

Oh yes, and to the person who thought it was a good idea for him to "spend eight months on remand before the trial - despite his own mental state, his wife suffering severe depression and their daughter having Asperger's syndrome." - you're a cunt.

I dunno, I mean I'm not against a quick slap by parents on small children, but I think fracturing someone's skull with a dumbell whilst shouting 'die, die, die' is probably at the extreme end of corporal punishment.
  • Options
    It's so out of order, him being cleared of attempted murder. If every time I got told off, I was hit with a weight, almost every teacher in the school would of been fired by now! Injuring someone, in your care, is not acceptable. Even if they are a "troublemaker"
    If that was a parent, at home, hitting their naughty kid with a dumbbell there is no way that people would be so light on them!
    Xx
    Nobody is saying what he did was acceptable, but the man was very clearly seriously mentally ill. I don't know about your school, but at mine the kids picked up on that very fast and played it to their own advantage. I've seen teachers have serious nervous breakdowns because of the behaviour of the dickheads I went to school with. I've known teachers to throw trolleys (you know, the ones you get in graphics tech) around because some of the kids in my school were such arseholes. It doesn't make it ok, but I can absolutely understand it.

That man should never have been allowed back into the classroom, but all of those children should be bloody ashamed of themselves.
  • Options
    I actually agree with the trials, this has happened in my area and I know someone whos sister was in the classroom at the time. He was NOT ready to go back to school, he was seen talking to him self and honestly i think its the schools fault for not picking up on this, i think the system failed him and its such a shame that this happened to both of the parties.....

The sentence that he got was fair and im glad he didnt go to prison, prison is about reforming (i think thats the word) the mind of law breaker, how can you reform someone who wasnt even sane at the time? He was obviously not healthy and it SHOULD have been picked up on earlier. I its the school/systems fault for missing this.
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned, it's just a very unfortunate situation. I'm just wondering what a mentally unstable man (however a good teacher he was)was doing in the classroom, as the outcome has clearly done nobaody any good whatsoever.

It's pretty much well known that kids can be cruel. They need a firm but level head to be dealt with really, not to be smashed to pieces by some poor soul who's lost the plot. That's just a very dangerous step in the wrong direction.

I'm afraid no one was in the right here.
  • Options

What are you on about? The CPS guy should be sacked, the person who said that is a cunt? Hang on a minute. If the mentality is that they are little bastards then he should not have been teaching in the first place. Kids can be cruel, clever and manipulative - imagine dealing with adults in the real world then...you cannot justify this anyway whatsoever.
  • Options
    This is a really sad story. Clearly the guy wasn't fit to be back in the classroom, having recently been off with mental health problems ... and, by their own admission, the pupils were goading him on camera to see how far they could push him before he cracked. The whole class was completely out of control and this one pupil telling Harvey to "f**k off" just seems to have been the last straw. I suppose we have to be thankful that more teachers don't react this way.

It is a mercy that the pupil survived, but it is interesting that so many of Harvey's former pupils have spoken up in his defense. Like LUB, I blame the school / system for creating the circumstances that lead to the attack.
  • Options

It is a mercy that the pupil survived, but it is interesting that so many of Harvey's former pupils have spoken up in his defense. Like LUB, I blame the school / system for creating the circumstances that lead to the attack.

Its because he was an extremely well liked teacher in the school - and from what my friends have said when they have been taught by him in the past - is that hes to kind and soft man, who kids took advantage of him because of these qualities. But I really sympathies with both parties, I hope people can learn from this terrible mistake and look into how schools deal with pupils and how they deal with teachers who come back from sick leave.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Nobody is saying what he did was acceptable, but the man was very clearly seriously mentally ill. I don't know about your school, but at mine the kids picked up on that very fast and played it to their own advantage. I've seen teachers have serious nervous breakdowns because of the behaviour of the dickheads I went to school with. I've known teachers to throw trolleys (you know, the ones you get in graphics tech) around because some of the kids in my school were such arseholes. It doesn't make it ok, but I can absolutely understand it.

That man should never have been allowed back into the classroom, but all of those children should be bloody ashamed of themselves.

All of the above.

The fact that he was allowed back into the classroom in what was obviously very fragile mental health was a joke, and being tried for attempted murder was even more of a joke.

The kid he attacked in no way deserved what happened to him, but I do think he (and the others involved) should be ashamed of himself for driving another human being to such ends.

Sad story.
  • Options

I have to teach PSHE/Citizenship as part of my job, you learn to deal with disruptive students in a way that doesn't involve smashing their skull in.

Yes, the kids should have behaved, I also think the LEA should have stepped in far sooner and retired him off. He was obviously in no fit state.
  • Options
    I almost went to that school. Irrelevant but hey :P
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I almost went to that school. Irrelevant but hey :P

ah thats quite cool, you use to live in the mansfield(ish) area then? :)
  • Options
    ah thats quite cool, you use to live in the mansfield(ish) area then? :)

aye lol
  • Options
    Mansfield is just a no :no: I don't like Mansfield at all... Maybe it has something to do with getting lost there... but I don't like it. I don't like Skeggy either.

Long Eaton though, it's FTW :lol:
    Xx
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I actually feel rather sorry for the teacher. Yes, he did (obviously!) the wrong thing and admitted so by pleading guilty to a charge of GBH without intent. There wasn't any intent in what the guy did so am pleased that the attempted murder charge was thrown out. I don't think people can comment unless they have found themselves with mental health issues, in a classroom full of teenagers trying to goad you. You will snap. Teaching can be a bitch.

I actually think the LA / school / powers that be were also in the wrong as this teacher obviously went back to school too early, had no support and was just thrown in at the deep end. If you are off for a long period then you are eased back into the job, and that should be all positions, not just teaching.
  • Options
    Mansfield is just a no :no: I don't like Mansfield at all... Maybe it has something to do with getting lost there... but I don't like it. I don't like Skeggy either.

Xx

It's not that bad tbh, but I'm kind of immune to it since I lived there most my life and still do on a part time basis. But it's not exactly the best place to live, it usually comes out as one of the worst places to live in the polls and stuff lol. In regards to the teacher, I went to another school not far away and witnessed quite a few teachers snap and have nervous breakdowns due to the kids being little shits and I heard worse stories from other schools. I'm not that surprised tbh. 2 teachers at my school actually died from heart attacks (one was a p.e teacher) while I was there too. I don't think I'd ever want to be a teacher.
  • Options

Xx

small world! im living there now, and its an alright place, its just when you've lived there nearly 18 years of your life, you jsut want out at the next chance you have, thats why i cant wait for uni, 4 months to go :yippe:
  • Options
    small world! im living there now, and its an alright place, its just when you've lived there nearly 18 years of your life, you jsut want out at the next chance you have, thats why i cant wait for uni, 4 months to go :yippe:

yeah I can remember everyone feeling like that when we were leaving for uni....theres even a fb group 'mansfield's s*** lets get out of here!' It's not exactly somewhere you want to spend the rest of your life.
  • Options
    yup, everyone is the same here. I honestly think that some of the people that are going to uni, are only going to get out of mansfield not to do a degree course....
  • Options
    Xx

For something to be murder then the prosecution has to prove the mens rea or "guilty mind". If he was unstable, and was provoked enough, he could argue in court he lost utter control and lashed out - he still got done for GBH but it isnt argued that his intention was to actually kill the boy. That doesn't make it right what he did but he was convicted of GBH - it just says the prosecution failed to establish beyond reasonable doubt it was attempted murder.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    For something to be murder then the prosecution has to prove the mens rea or "guilty mind"

Well, that means most murderers can be acquitted of murder then! A lot of murders are committed in the heat of the moment, and the majority of murderers are not in the right mind frame to be accused of anything!

Stupid law. :rolleyes:
    Xx
  • Options
    Well, that means most murderers can be acquitted of murder then! A lot of murders are committed in the heat of the moment, and the majority of murderers are not in the right mind frame to be accused of anything!

Stupid law. :rolleyes:
    Xx
    I think you'll find that would be manslaughter - murder, iirc, involves premeditation, and had this teacher actually killed the kid, I would have had no issue with him being tried and convicted for manslaughter. As it is, you can pretty safely say that there was no premeditation involved here - he was pushed to the edge and he snapped.
  • Options
    That teacher could easily have left the class room and told the pupils he was fetching the headmaster. That is standard practice for dealing with unruly pupils.

I agree he was probably provoked a lot but a good teacher should know how to deal with those situations. I know how I would have dealt with it I would have said something like; "Look you are either here to learn or you can get out. If you wont learn then you can get out of school now".

I remember some of my teachers saying exactly that. And many disruptive pupils were expelled for constant bad behaviour.

But unfortunately today teachers no longer have power to clip bad behaved pupils round the ear or give them the cane. That is something that needs to be brought back. Corporal punishment was banned in schools because some schools abused it, but I think it still needs to be an option open to teachers in extreme cases.
  • Options
    Goldsword wrote: »

But unfortunately today teachers no longer have power to clip bad behaved pupils round the ear or give them the cane. That is something that needs to be brought back. Corporal punishment was banned in schools because some schools abused it, but I think it still needs to be an option open to teachers in extreme cases.

Then that would just make it legal for him to smash the kid's skull in, no?
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    Then that would just make it legal for him to smash the kid's skull in, no?
    There was corporal punishment for over a century in British schools and no child got his skull broken or was badly or even slightly injured. A clip around the ear or spank across the backside with a gym pump never did anyone any harm. If a pupil was particularly bad then they were sent to the headmasters office for six strokes of the cane.
  • Options
    All I know is that if, as this little shit had done, I had told one of my teachers to fuck off, my feet would not have touched the ground on the way to the headman's office. But then again in the private sector, we were taught how to behave so we could actually get some learning done.
  • Options
    All I know is that if, as this little shit had done, I had told one of my teachers to fuck off, my feet would not have touched the ground on the way to the headman's office. But then again in the private sector, we were taught how to behave so we could actually get some learning done.

And there you have it. Older generations (and those at private schools) generally had (have?) a degree of respect for their teachers (backed up by parents' attitude) and fear for the likely consequences of their actions. From what I read about this incident, it was mob rule and the teacher wouldn't have stood a chance if he had tried to manhandle the lad out of class.

Edit: I just re-read this and it might look as if I am condoning the teacher's violent reaction. Just so we're clear, I'm not. Equally, beating this boy's head in with a gym weight has nothing to do with 'corporal punishment'. Smashing someone's skull is always going to be a criminal offense, whether or not corporal punishment is/was allowed in school.
  • Options

were you caned?
  • Options
    I'm 25 so no.