Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Public figure makes controversial statement...

No, this isn't about Monogit's latest "bigoted woman" gaffe. Read this joke.

"I'm quite interested in the Middle East, I'm actually studying that Israeli army martial arts. And I know 16 ways to kick a Palestinian woman in the back. It's a difficult question to understand. I've got an analogy which explains the whole thing quite well: If you imagine that Palestine is a cake - well, that cake is being punched to pieces by a very angry Jew."

This was a joke that Frankie Boyle made on a Radio 4 comedy sketch show called Political Animal in June 2008. He has said this joke on numerous other occasions. Someone complained to the Beeb that this joke was "offensive" and "anti-Semitic". Since then, Aunty has said sorry.

Is this joke offensive or not?

Discuss.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Apart from the fact he should rather refer to the 'Jew' as an 'Israeli', I've heard Boyle make far more offensive jokes than that.
    He's a funny fucker.
    no. it's just a bad joke and he's a prick.
    Not the greatest joke, but yet again we have people using accusations of anti-semitism to respond to any criticism of Israel, which should be a completely separate subject.
    Not the greatest joke, but yet again we have people using accusations of anti-semitism to respond to any criticism of Israel, which should be a completely separate subject.
    Agreed - nothing wrong with it, and certainly not anti-semitic. Israel should not have a get-out-of-jail-free card.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    No, this isn't about Monogit's latest "bigoted woman" gaffe. Read this joke.

"I'm quite interested in the Middle East, I'm actually studying that Israeli army martial arts. And I know 16 ways to kick a Palestinian woman in the back. It's a difficult question to understand. I've got an analogy which explains the whole thing quite well: If you imagine that Palestine is a cake - well, that cake is being punched to pieces by a very angry Jew."

This was a joke that Frankie Boyle made on a Radio 4 comedy sketch show called Political Animal in June 2008. He has said this joke on numerous other occasions. Someone complained to the Beeb that this joke was "offensive" and "anti-Semitic". Since then, Aunty has said sorry.

Is this joke offensive or not?

Discuss.

I think its great he's not afraid to broach the issue.

Bear in mind that judaism is so messed up with its nationalism for israel and in parts racism in terms of pro jew (the race, not the religion - remember that you have to fulfill the 'ethnicity test') that its hard to take a stab at any one of those three parts without being called an anti semite (the three parts consist of the state, the faith, and the ethnicity - the only one that should be protected from criticism is ethnicity).

Because a lot of it is so ridiculous - the government consists of right wing nationalist racist nutters with tanks, bombers, chemical weapons and nukes - the faith talks of chosen peoples, promised land (which is taken way too fucking literally by the aforementioned ultra right) and goyim which is a slur even used these days without any guilt; but it cannot be criticised openly because of this whole package it gets wrapped up in and called anti-semitism.

I just rage silently inside most of the time tbh, but tbh the world is merging into one and a lot of these 'oldey worldy' creeds are breaking down. It's becoming acceptable to marry outside your group, etc. - people are making up their own minds and not accepting dogma or nonsense.

Of course there are still extreme geographical / cultural centres of it, but even those in time will see themselves cut off from a world that is becoming increasingly interdependent and international where the key factors to prosperity are tolerance and understanding. Can a country with a hostile foreign policy survive in a world where every other country becomes part of a security / trading / negotiating bloc?

But, my criticism still stands as thus; Judaism is an intolerant (perhaps the most intolerant) religion. Those who take it too literally end up acting intolerant. Israel is an intolerant and dare I say hostile state. In the 21st century we have a nuclear power with full conscription, with armed men and women having their rabbis giving them 'gods blessing' to do their work - and the work of soldiers ultimately and invariably is killing.

That all this doesn't anger more people, doesn't upset more people, doesn't cause more concern not only in our little opinions on the internet but on the international circuit - that worries me. We can posture to invade Yemen all we like in the news but how much of a problem would Al Qaeda and it's sympathisers be if we stopped supporting a nationalist, racist state?

With that I think I've probably ranted enough!