Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What series are you currently watching through?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Still working my way through CSI: Vegas, then it's Supernatural, then I'm going on to CSI: NY.

Then maybe something else ;o.
  • Options
    West wing S7
    24 S8
    The pacific
  • Options
    I'm watching Numb3rs when I'm in to catch it but I'm gonna get them on DVD and watch them all through.
  • Options
    The Office. It's hilarious.

Flash Forward

Boston Legal (If you groupie girls want a man check out Alan Shore from this series. At first you'll be like *eww* but when you saw him in court you will be humping your keyboard, promise.)

Arrested Development (Best thing ever, only 3 seasons tho and I finished them already)

Want to start with Fringe, V, and some day I'll start Breaking Bad, How I met your mother and Lost
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    West wing

:thumb: Great show.
    Xx
  • Options
    The Thick of It.

Shameless Series 1.

The Wire Season 5.
  • Options
    the wiiiiiiiiiiiire.

that's another one. bought the first series and my mum stole it.
  • Options
    Grey's Anatomy and Glee, atm.

I'm still watching Lost, too, even thought I've pretty much lost interest now because I need to know how it ends.
  • Options
    Glee
    Outnumbered
    Desperate Housewives
    Flashforward
    Neighbours
    Big Bang Theory
  • Options
    Seinfeld. I'm a bit behind the times.
  • Options
    I just rented 'the office' on dvd, it makes me cringe, but in a good way :D
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Can't believe none of you have said...

Desperate Housewives :heart:

currently watching it from series 1
  • Options
    Firefly
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Firefly

Oh I LOVE firefly and serenity but unfortunately it was way way way to short!
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Boston Legal (If you groupie girls want a man check out Alan Shore from this series. At first you'll be like *eww* but when you saw him in court you will be humping your keyboard, promise.)

I :heart: Boston Legal.

I've got the lot of them on DVD. It's so good. Seen them all but will have to start watching them over again.
  • Options
    Seinfeld. I'm a bit behind the times.

:lol:
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I :heart: Boston Legal.

I've got the lot of them on DVD. It's so good. Seen them all but will have to start watching them over again.

I know, right? Gonna get myself season 3 now. Got bored with everything else already.

and I probably said it in some post before: But everyone really needs to check out Arrested Development. It is the best series I ever watched. It is simply fantastic.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Oh I LOVE firefly and serenity but unfortunately it was way way way to short!

I like it too, what made you a fan?
  • Options
    I like it too, what made you a fan?

:heart: I love it, love Joss Whedon. Seeing Serenity at the cinema made me a fan.
  • Options
    What about the things within the show, what textual things make you like it so much? Is it the characters, the plot, the aesthetics, something else? Or is it purely because you like Joss Whedon?

I like that the world is similar to but distinct from ours and that the character Inara is a companion, which is a highly respected profession. And that this position of respect is questioned but not disrupted by Mal.
  • Options
    I must admit I watched the show at the start as the next great thing from Joss Whedon - which was what, around the penultimate season of Buffy?

I instantly feel in love with it though, I'm a huge fan of westerns so seeing a series that explored the same themes, with similar sytlistic touches, was great fun. The sense of people creating their own morality in a constantly shifting universe was cool to see, along with the themes presented by Inara and Mal's relationship.

The idea of the respected prostitute has occasionally played in westerns, as one of the remaining worlds where it was publicaly accepted in Western nations. There's similar scenes and themes throughout Deadwood, though that's obviously a far more brutal world than anything seen in Firefly.

However it's pretty unusual to see a more adult presentation of a relationship with a character like Inara, and that acceptence and respect on Mal's part plays a big part, for me, in establishing why he's so impressive as the lead in the show.

The Reapers (at least in the series the replacement for Native Americans - though by the time of the movie they're probably a bit too specific to play that allegorical role) were a nice touch. The sense of dread at their appearence worked really well at creating the 'bigger picture' in the universe.

The Civil war backstory was a nice touch as well. Always nice to have a character whose turned his back on the assumed moral order, striking out to find something better. It's pretty classic Western stuff but works well and works great in space.

The sense of a relatively adult show also made it an impressive and important work. Despite being such a huge failure, it's DVD sales clearly helped other masterpieces, such as BSG, get made. Of course that's not really a reason why it was good, but it's certainly a great result.

In the end, it's a shame it's so short and that Serenity was a pretty much 'popcorn' version of the show. It naturally couldn't be anything else but I'd have loved to see where the series would have gone with four or five years to develop.

Overall I guess this probably means that it was the themes and characters that appealed the most. Wheadon playing with those western stereotypes, with the option to throw in cool space stuff whenever he wanted, damn, it was a shame when it didn't work out.
  • Options
    Thank you.

Don't suppose you like Lexx too do you?
  • Options
    Jayne!
    The Man they call Jayne!

Oh, He robbed from the rich
    and he gave to the poor.
    Stood up to the man
    and he gave him what for.
    Our love for him now
    ain't hard to explain.
    The hero of Canton
    the man they call Jayne.

Our Jayne saw the mudders' backs breakin'.
    He saw the mudders' lament.
    And he saw the Magistrate takin'
    every dollar and leavin' five cents.
    So he said: "You can't do that to my people."
    said "You can't crush them under your heel."
    So Jayne strapped on his hat
    and in 5 seconds flat
    stole everythin' Boss Higgins had to steal.

Oh, He robbed from the rich
    and he gave to the poor.
    Stood up to the man
    Our love for him now
    ain't hard to explain.
    The hero of Canton
    the man they call Jayne.

Now here is what separates heroes
    from common folk like you and I.
    The man they call Jayne
    he turned 'round his plane
    and let that money hit sky.

He dropped it onto our houses
    he dropped it into our yards.
    The man they called Jayne
    he stole away our pain
    and headed out for the stars!

(Here we go!)

He robbed from the rich
    and he gave to the poor.
    Stood up to the man
    Our love for him now
    ain't hard to explain.
    The hero of Canton
    the man they call Jayne...
  • Options
    Thank you.

Don't suppose you like Lexx too do you?

You know, I liked what I saw of Lexx but it always made me feel like I was inside some kind of Cronenberg fever dream, all psycho-sexual fuckery and wierd sci-fi notions without any link to reality.

I remember enjoying it but being pretty confused trying to piece together, given it was before the internet, what the hell was going on.

Reckon I might give it a watch again tonight.
  • Options
    With Lexx, I like the movie episodes better than series, especially later ones. It's often the case that the initial run of a show is best, or at least strongest linked together by the initial concepts ad ideologies. Perhaps that is one of the strengths of Firefly, that there was only one season so, it didn't degrade into weakness?
  • Options
    Perhaps, though I'd argue that with a strong single vision Sci-fi tends to do better than most series with some time to mature. It could have gone downhill, certainly, and Dollhouse does demonstrate that he's not immune to stagnation (though his X-men work was pretty significant and developed well) but it felt really like it was really cut off.

However DS9, Voyager, Babylon 5, Farscape all seemed to move forward towards greater quality, whereas more traditional dramas without Sci-fi's scope for the epic, seem more prone to stagnation. Certainly Deadwood, The Sopranos, Weeds and similar shows seem less able to avoid repetition and stagnation. However that might be due to the audience expectations for Sci-fi to develop into something that doesn't tread water being stronger than it's ever been.

And on that topic, anyone watching Lost, I'm loving these final episodes :)
  • Options
    I haven't watched them all (Firefly), I'll let you know if I agree on the early cut off.

It is also argued that cutting a series short, or not producing more episodes is just the right condition for producing 'cult' audiences. The untied off ends allow for fan fiction, different interpretations to suit different audiences, and tails. Big massive fuck off tail when you make a movie from a TV series.

Hellfire: Is the song from an episode?
  • Options
    It is - episode 7 "Jaynestown"
  • Options
    I'm confused then, I should have already seen that one then, but I haven't. I do keep falling asleep though (because it's late, not because it's boring) so I guess I need to check I've not skipped a few.
  • Options
    I'm confused then, I should have already seen that one then, but I haven't. I do keep falling asleep though (because it's late, not because it's boring) so I guess I need to check I've not skipped a few.

Yup S1EP7 Jaynestown, my favourite episode, but I <3 Adam Baldwin (not a proper Baldwin thank fuck) and <3 Jayne Cobb
  • Options
    You love Jayne? Wow, it never occured to me that a fan would focus on that character. What about Shepard, I think he's a bit bland?