Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Help, Please!?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really really need some advice here. And before anyone says go to the doctors, I refuse to, as I'm petrified of them and don't trust them much.

Over the past few weeks I haven't been eating normally. I went through almost 3 days without eating anything at one point. And if I feel like I'm stuffed from having something to eat, if I'm alone sometimes I make myself sick. But sometimes I'm sick automatically.
I have also been really shaky, breathing rather deep and fast, and been crying (when alone and not at school) the past few days for no reason at all.

I've talked to a couple of friends about it, and one in particular was that concerned and told my sister, however, she has been interegating me about it and I don't want to tell my mom.

I explained to a friend that I have had quite a few of the symptoms of depression, such as lack of energy, feeling emotional, feel absolutely useless and have had a few days where I've had bad pain in my head and back. She reckons that's what I may have, but I'm not so convinced as I don't think that people as young as 17 can get it.

Could anyone at all give me advice at all? I will appreciate it very much.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hi
    i also didnt go to the doctors i really hate telling people i dont even know my problems. Is there a reason why you feel like this?
    No, there is no reason at all.
    re

Hey broken piece,

From what youve said in your post the doctors might be the best place to go. Please remember they are trained to help you and have seen every condition imaginable.

how do you get on with your GP? you say your petrified and worried, do you wanna look at that more?

Self diagnosing might just make you worry more:no:

keep posting:wave:
    Sorry BP, the symptoms you describe sound potentially serious, and could be caused by any number of mental or physical illnesses. I don't think anyone here is going to nail their colours to the mast and say "oh yeah, it's depression", when it could be something else. To me, it sounds like a panic attack of some sort, but why refuse to go to the doctors, when they have the means to treat this sort of thing?

Doctors are great people, on the whole. The majority might seem old, crusty and out-of-touch. But remember, to get where they are, they have achieved a unique combination of personal vocation, 5-year degree, working as a dogsbody in a hospital environment, sense of humour, years of experience, etc., etc. There are good doctors and there are stressed and overworked doctors, but these are a product of the system within which they work. Diagnosis and treatment relies on open and honest discussion of your symptoms. I don't think your problems are that unusual. Your best bet is to register with a local GP.
    The reason I refuse to go to the doctors is that I had a bad experience the first and only time I have been in hospital. They didn't tell me the most important thing I needed to know at the time.
    But if the best place is to go is the doctors I guess I will have to eventually.
    Sometimes i dont eat out of stress and fell unwell until i start eating again properly. are you mega stressed about anything

it also does sound alot lik depression to be causing you to act lik this. Is there any other GP you can see?
    Anyone at any age regardless of sex, shape or size, can get depression. Its not generally catagorised into ages so what you describe may well be that. I would personally advise going to a GP before self diagnosing as previously said, or even talk to a close friend who would maybe understand and be able to go with you to the docs? I know they seem like scary people as I'm afraid of them too but you maybe have to look at them in the way that they can help you. Hope you're ok today
    Supp BP.

You and I have more or less the same thing pretty much down to the letter, the difference being that you are talking to a friend about it. I myself suggest that you go and see someone at your doctors because what you have can lead to some pretty crap consequences.

It is very possible for you to have depression, or it could be another phsycological problem, but as I said, do go and see your doctor(s) about it asap, take a mate with you if you don't feel secure about going on your own (possibly the girl that you have disgussed your problem with)

Keep posting kido.

Bio
    hey BP

I am petrified of doctors too. I finally plucked up the courage to go speak to one though about how I was feeling, and I must say, they were amazing. They were kind and listened to me. They've given me some things I must do to try and feel better which in the short term, seems to be helping a little.

I know it is scary, but if you can find the courage to go, I would give it a shot- at the end of the day, it's definitely worth a try.

Good luck :)
    not eating properly will make you hypoglycemic. Symptoms include
    • Shakiness, anxiety, nervousness,
    • Palpitations, tachycardia
    • Sweating, feeling of warmth
    • Pallor, coldness, clamminess
    • Nausea, vomiting, abdominal discomfort
    • Headache
    • Nonspecific dysphoria, anxiety, moodiness, depression, crying

So I'd suggest you concentrate on eating regularly - 3 or4 small meals a day

a little muesli for breakfast, sliced tomato on wholemeal toast for tea, a glass of milk