Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Prophet Mohammed - now in a bear suit...

Who'd have thought it, eh?

"Islamists have warned the creators of TV show South Park they could face violent retribution for depicting the Prophet Muhammad in a bear suit. A posting on the website of the US-based group, Revolution Muslim, told Matt Stone and Trey Parker they would 'probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh'. The Dutch film-maker was shot and stabbed to death in 2004 by an Islamist angered by his film about Muslim women."

Now then, what was all that talk about Islam being a tolerant, peace-loving religion?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hahahaha... the episode was brilliant. I think them getting angsty about it is ridiculous. I mean most other countries, religions etc have been ripped apart by southpark..
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Hahahaha... the episode was brilliant. I think them getting angsty about it is ridiculous. I mean most other countries, religions etc have been ripped apart by southpark..

:yes:

I love south park.
    Xx
    Funny, nobody gave a shit before the Danish cartoon bullshit. But then again, the type of people who talk about this are the same people who issue guidelines on what sort of sexual activity you can get away with before and after your wife is 9 years old. Apparently anything other than full intercourse is only an indiscretion, not rape, and obviously after the age of 9, it's all just following the example of the paedophile prophet, so anything goes. :thumb: :rolleyes:

But drawing a cartoon, or writing a book......:mad:

They should've gone the whole hog and depicted him in a dog or pig outfit. Or better still, maybe dressed up as pedobear would've been quite appropriate. That's the only way these people will get it through their thick skulls that there religion is not deserving of any respect. I think the cowardly way the media in the UK and America responded to the Danish cartoon controversy was pathetic. They hung this fella out to dry, and made it appear like the complaints were even slightly valid, rather than reprinting them all over the place in an act of solidarity.
    I'm With Stupid
    It's not everyone in the religion that reacts like this, though. We have to remember that too. Just the few extremists. To be honest though, if you don't like it, DON'T WATCH IT!
    Xx
    ^ What she said.

Anyway, Drawn Together is sicker
    It's not everyone in the religion that reacts like this, though. We have to remember that too. Just the few extremists. To be honest though, if you don't like it, DON'T WATCH IT!
    Xx
    Exactly, that's the issue. Most muslims are fairly moderate, and yet the media and other groups act as if they're all as idiotic as the extremists who, frankly, deliberately stir things up by spreading cartoons around the Islamic world, including far more extreme cartoons that were never in the original article. That is why there is such a inconsistent response to things that criticise religion. This always happens in any of these religious "offence" scandals. People are told by their leaders about something they should take offence at, and the unquestioningly do so. The cartoons are easy to spread around, but how many people attending book burnings of The Satanic Verses had actually read it? How many people protesting outside Jerry Springer the Opera had actually seen it? The answer to these questions is absolutely always a tiny minority. The rest is people getting outraged about this tiny minority's account of the "offensive" material, not the material itself.

But the media will always try and portray themselves as protecting the sensitivities of the majority of moderate muslims, rather than revealing these idiot extremists for what they are by showing that they are getting offended over nothing. But then I suppose this is the same media that has no problem portraying British muslims as all being terrorists, or extremists, or sympathizers, or people who wish death on British troops, or people who want special treatment at work on account of their religion, so it doesn't surprise me that they struggle to make the distinction between the majority and the idiots.
    More interesting are the Comedy Central cuts and bleeps to the second part. They've pulled 35 seconds of the episode and bleeped out Mohammed's name. As I understand it they've done that to episode without the agreement of Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Now they often bleep the episodes when they get the tapes and episodes are always delivered at the last minute to force Comedy Central to avoid excessive cuts, they famously covered up the image from the second time they used him in the show (though the first time was fine) but this is probably the most significant censorship I've seen for the show.

http://www.news24.com/Entertainment/International/South-Park-Muhammad-continues-20100422
    But you still didn't see him, can't you talk about him anymore if you don't follow Islam now?

Honestly, after watch the episode I wondered how long it would be before people spoke out about it.
    Seems comedy central is shitting bricks pleading to viewers to not use external sources that will air the video?
    Should point out, southparkcentral.com is the offically endorsed online location for South Park. They usually show an uncensored version after episodes air on Comedy Central, this is the first time I've ever known them pull an episode. For anyone checking, btw, from the Uk you can't see new episodes at all.
    Jim V wrote: »
    Should point out, southparkcentral.com is the offically endorsed online location for South Park. They usually show an uncensored version after episodes air on Comedy Central, this is the first time I've ever known them pull an episode. For anyone checking, btw, from the Uk you can't see new episodes at all.

Aye, I usually use Xepisodes but it's not on there yet.

Correction, It is on there. watching it now! although it is the censored one.
    It's censored, the end is pretty much all bleeped out. I don't think it's meant to be like that normally, can't even imagine what they're saying. I might find a uncensored version just to listen, it ruined it.
    I doubt very much that Matt and Trey had anything to do with the censoring, as it's not like them to give a shit about the anger people have towards their show. It'll be on the website in time.. I guarantee it.
    Xx
    It's not everyone in the religion that reacts like this, though. Just the few extremists.
    Is it? When one asks where Muslim loyalties lie, it's hard to come to any specific answer. See this poll, for instance. Furthermore, Islam is meant to be a political system as well as a religious one, following Sharia law. The Qu'ran states as much.

This is a difficult one for me. On the one hand, I don't think that British values are compatible with Muslim ones, but on the other, I think that Muslims have some very admirable traits not found in many religions. They stand up for what they believe in, for starters. Which is much more than the wimps leading the Church of England ever do!
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    On the one hand, I don't think that British values are compatible with Muslim ones, but on the other, I think that Muslims have some very admirable traits not found in many religions. They stand up for what they believe in, for starters. Which is much more than the wimps leading the Church of England ever do!

Really?

What about the church's stance on marriage? On co-habiting? On sex before marriage? On Homosexuality? etc They are quite unequivocal on their narrow beliefs here but, fortunately, don't prescribe killing anyone under 'religious law' for not adhering to these policies.
    Teagan wrote: »
    What about the church's stance on marriage? On co-habiting? On sex before marriage? On Homosexuality? etc They are quite unequivocal on their narrow beliefs here but, fortunately, don't prescribe killing anyone under 'religious law' for not adhering to these policies.
    Believing that sex before marriage is wrong is a perfectly legitimate point of view. Most religions hold the same view. Believing that homosexuality is a sin is also a perfectly legitimate point of view - even Peter Tatchell thinks it's wrong people be prosecuted for saying that.

The Bible also says homosexuals should be stoned to death - but there's a difference. The Christian world has long since accepted that such practices are barbaric and have abandoned them. The Muslim world has not. Hence one reason why I say Muslim values aren't compatible with British values.
    Believing that sex before marriage is wrong is a perfectly legitimate point of view. Most religions hold the same view. Believing that homosexuality is a sin is also a perfectly legitimate point of view - even Peter Tatchell thinks it's wrong people be prosecuted for saying that.

That's beside the point. I was making the point that the COE are 'consistently' standing by their beliefs in these regards. You implied that the COE never stand by what they believe in.
    The Bible also says homosexuals should be stoned to death - but there's a difference. The Christian world has long since accepted that such practices are barbaric and have abandoned them. The Muslim world has not. Hence one reason why I say Muslim values aren't compatible with British values.

Old testament law. Nowhere in the New Testament is there a call for anyone to be put to death for homosexuality.

Funnily enough, I think that it is Sharia law that makes Islam such a cohesive movement amongst its followers worldwide. Christianity allows for a fair level of interpretation because of it's lack of clarity in certain areas whereas with Islam, the law is unequivocally the law no matter where you are in the world.
    Star Galaxy, I have a few Muslim friends and yes they stand up for their views... but in an appropriate ways. If you count the amount of Muslims who have caused issues with in a different society, it is the minority of the over all number of Muslim people in the world.
    Xx
    Is it? When one asks where Muslim loyalties lie, it's hard to come to any specific answer. See this poll, for instance. Furthermore, Islam is meant to be a political system as well as a religious one, following Sharia law. The Qu'ran states as much.

I've used that poll to make similar points myself, but I'm now a bit dubious about it. 1000 respondents isn't a particularly large sample, and some of the responses seem inconsistent. 37% of muslims believed that it was a benefit to be able to criticise the religious and political views of others, yet 75% believed the Danish cartoonist should've been subject to legal action (if you read the full report). That just doesn't add up, which suggests to me loaded questions. It also doesn't offer any point of comparison to the wider population, or other religious groups. A poll in Germany (where the majority of muslims are from Turkey, which is obviously far more secular, admittedly) showed that muslim opinion is pretty much in line with the wider population. But this is something I've certainly seen myself. The number of people who claim they would happily have the government ban something that doesn't fit their particular worldview or moral view is disturbingly high. How many people would ban the BNP, for example? But in Germany again, there was a story a while back that the number of muslims is far greater than previously though, and this was cited by the right wing press as an example of the "Islamification" of Europe. Surely the real story in that situation is that these people are so well integrated that we couldn't tell them apart from the wider population? But having said all of that, the more people pussyfoot around Islam, the more young muslims in particular get used to the idea that criticism of their religion is something it is appropriate for them to take personal offence at, and something that is the equivalent of personally insulting them.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Ta-dah!

SPOILER SPOILER

But thats Santa, Mohammed wasn't in a bear suit..
    The Prophet Mohammed would have probably enjoyed a bear suit...ummm...as gift.
    Do you see what I see ......:shocking:

mosk.jpg
    :lol:!
    MR- It's a building... in the shape of... in the shape of :lol:
    Xx
    Its not Islam that makes people go nuts over this, its the fact that they are bonafide one raisin short of a fruit cake.

I personally laughed my tits of at that episode.
    MR- It's a building... in the shape of... in the shape of :lol:
    Xx

It's a vibrator innit ...a hydraulic one by the looks of it.
    Don't these muslims understand that everytime they get angry and threatening about their prophet being made fun of they only give their religon a bad name.

As a christian we have always been able to shrug off being poked fun at with a laugh and a smile. For example there was no major christian outrage over the film The Life of Brian, The Last Temptation of Christ or the Devinci Code. Those films may have provoked strong feelings amongst some christians but their anger was restricted to newspaper letters pages. There were no loud angry demonstrations or death threats given.