Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Phobia of telephone sounds?

As my signature says, if anyone has synaesthesia, I'd love to compare notes please! This topic may be a syn-related thing.

Synaesthesia causes two of your senses to become crosswired, where you get input on one sense and it manifests itself as another sense. For me, I hear sound and I see it as colour. Sounds good and trippy huh? Well it's good in the clubs when you've got sound and lasers on the go, but there is a bad side for it too (for me anyway). When I'm by myself and it's night time and it's silent, the syn can be uncontrolled. I will trip, seeing lines / patterns on blank walls and it has caused me to become phobic of the dark. The fear is mainly applicable if I'm alone though. Once there is someone with me, that helps a lot, and the radio helps a lot too because that can distract my visions.

Now, what does telephone sounds do to me? Those who are as old as me (late 20s / early 30s) may remember a band called Baby D who had a chart-topper in 1994 called Let Me Be Your Fantasy. They followed it up with a few other top-10 hits then released their album in 1996, a solid album from start-to-finish. Track no.8 is a song called Daydreaming, of which the first 8 bars has the sound effect of touch-tone telephone dialling.. you know when you dial numbers off a phone. The dialling sound plays havoc with my synaesthesia and I quickly became phobic of it. Mis-use of the song can cause me to trip for hours. Once the song gets going, it is a perfectly decent 4-to-the-floor dance track. It's so good that I would give it 5/5 but it's the first bit I can't listen to.

Can you guys please have a listen? I guess it only affects me, being a synaesthete but I was wondering what others thought. I did post a topic about this under entertainment a few years ago, but I'm posting this time for health reasons. It's a song that I can't get rid of (because it's so good) but it has tormented my dreams for years and I'm contemplating seeing a doctor about it. This post is a long shot and I'm sure a few readers here will be thinking 'wtf?'

Here's the song, and the first 8 bars (scary bit) applies to both of them. If Whoooaa and Pill'ed read this, you may like this too.

The album version is here.
The single version is here.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wow, Synaesthesia is interesting... if that's the right word? I mean, it's interesting how different peoples minds behave and work. (I'm assuming that it has something to do with how your mind works? Correct me if I'm wrong though.)

I think you should see a doctor if you think they can do anything about it, although they might just say don't listen to the song...? Are you in any kind of support groups for people who have Synaesthesia? Because if they exist, then I guess that'd be quite a good thing for you so you can speak about it with other people.
    Xx
    I LOVED LOVED LOVED Let me be your fantasy.

Only listened to the first bits of the songs you posted but, it didn't do anything 'bad' to me, but it doesn't sound great. If there are a few things like that that grate your senses, I would just avoid them.
    Thanks ladies :-) My dear German penfriend recently did a good job at cutting the start off that song. Once the beat gets going, then it's cool, so she only had to take off the first 8 bars. About Synaesthesia (or just abbreviate it 'syn'), I don't know of any support groups as such but I do have a lifetime ambition to meet another person with syn. I once read that a syn's best friend is another person with syn, because they can compare notes and stuff :thumb: