Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hung parliament

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Looking more and more likely.
This is the best result possible.
Blair had such a huge majority he could get away with anything ...that was powerful government.
A hung parliament will mean weak government which is good for us.
They won't be able to do what they like ...impose more laws on us.
To me it will be grown up politics where they HAVE ...to talk and argue and take a long time getting anything done.
Weak government is what I'm voting for.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You may have a point there, but I can't help but feel you won't get quite what you want. All three of the main political parties believe in almost identical things. We don't have any Left-wing or Right-wing parties anymore - Labour, Tories and LibDems are now a dreadful unprincipled mish-mash taking their ideas from the worst of both political wings. Generally speaking, if the political establishment have reached a consensus on an issue, it's normally completely the wrong one.

Although I must concede some more grown-up politics would indeed be welcome. PMQs, for example, is so unbelievably childish, it's a total farce.

This is a tough one to call...

UPDATE: It looks like Gordon "I agree with Nick" Broon doesn't have much chance with Cleggover. Not judging by Cleggy's interview to the Torygraph today anyway...
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    You may have a point there, but I can't help but feel you won't get quite what you want. All three of the main political parties believe in almost identical things. We don't have any Left-wing or Right-wing parties anymore - Labour, Tories and LibDems are now a dreadful unprincipled mish-mash taking their ideas from the worst of both political wings. Generally speaking, if the political establishment have reached a consensus on an issue, it's normally completely the wrong one.

Although I must concede some more grown-up politics would indeed be welcome. PMQs, for example, is so unbelievably childish, it's a total farce.

This is a tough one to call...

Good point SG but I'm hoping a hung parliament might force them into principled positions ...even fake principals will do.
    Vince Cable is the type of guy who would be a stubborn bastard and I believe would be against most Tory economic policies and against the labour ones too.
    The Tories are scaremongering at the moment about a hung parliament which gives me hope that I might be right.
    But I take your point.
    I think a weak majority might be better than a hung or minority goverment
    A weak majority is no different from a minority government in effect though, is it?

If any one party gets absolute majority, then they can do whatever the fuck they want (provided every MP of the party in question votes with it)- even if they have an overall majority of 1.

The best thing would be a minority government with no coalitions. On every issue, parties and MPs get to vote according to their beliefs and manifestos. Some motions get passed, some get defeated.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    A weak majority is no different from a minority government in effect though, is it?

If any one party gets absolute majority, then they can do whatever the fuck they want (provided every MP of the party in question votes with it)- even if they have an overall majority of 1.

Except they can't - with a weak majority a government can pursue its goals, but has to pay attention to its back-benchers.