Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Really angry - what are my options?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone

5 weeks ago I ordered a very expensive (for me) sofa from Next Home. I was told there would be a 6 week wait for the item as it had to be made to order.

Last week I received a call from them saying my order was ready; they confirmed the design, colour, and my details. We arranged delivery for this morning and I took the day off work to be home to receive it.

I am having a lot of work done on the house and have organised the decorators and other tradesmen around having the sofa delivered today. I also have two tenants moving in next week.

This morning the delivery men showed up and brought a completely different sofa to the one I had ordered. The details of MY sofa were on the delivery note, but my name and address were on the sticker attached to the plastic on the sofa and it clearly wasn't the one they had brought (mine is a three-seater Kingsbury in teal, this one was a two seater Lisbon in Mink). I told the delivery men not to worry (they were from an external company), they took it away, and I rang Next Customer Services.

The man I spoke to informed me that there was obviously a 'labelling issue' at the warehouse (D'ya think?!). He said that as the sofas were made to order, they had obviously made me the wrong sofa and I would have to wait another 6 weeks for them to make me a new one. I said this sounded ridiculous; if the correct details were on the delivery sheet, then the correct details must have been sent to the manufacturers, so the only way they would have made me the wrong sofa is if Next employed either illiterate manufacturers or total idiots. I pointed out that it seemed far more likely to me that they had stuck the wrong stickers on two sofas and someone else had been delivered my sofa, and was probably making a very similar phone call. They surely must know if they suddenly have one extra sofa of a particular design.

He then went on to tell me that it was very unlikely, due to the volume of sofas going in and out of their warehouses, that two sofas could be 'linked' in this way. He was sorry for the inconvenience, but I now have to wait a total of 12 weeks for a sofa I paid £900 for, tell my tenants that there is nothing for them to sit on, and make up my wages in missed work.

What can I do? Am I within my rights to demand some money back? How much? And should I ask for the wages I missed out on today? AARGH! :mad:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ask for a reduction and compensation. They fucked up.
    I think that the only way you could "demand" money back would be to cancel the order on the basis that they have failed to complete their side of the contract by missing the promised 6 week delivery. That's not to say that you might be able to get some compensation for the annoyances, but that would be down to the discretion of whatever customer services manager you spoke to.
    Don't put tenants on a brand new, made to order £900 sofa anyway, are you crazy? Cancel your order, keep your £900, get a sofa from freebay and cover it with a nice throw from Ikea.
    Hi guys; thanks for your replies.

I rang up again and spoke to a different guy; he's given me 20% off the price and is going to fast-track the order so it arrives faster.

Katralla - I'm a live-in landlady and this is likely to be my home for the next few years. The tenants are friends of mine and I know how tidy and reliable they are, so it's worth the investment in the first nice piece of furniture I've ever had! Maybe I am a little crazy, but I've been living in horrible places for the past few years in order to save for a deposit on my first property and some nice furniture to put in it - after five years of scrimping and saving in dingy basement flats and freecycling my little butt off, I think I deserve it!
    Sofa Issue

:( Re; Katralla

Typical Landlord type comment..

No wonder the tenants are suing so many of them :(
    eh? I'd be the last person to sympathise with landlords. If a tenant isn't on a £900 sofa when they move in, there's less chance of the landlord shafting them for £900 when they leave.

It's just common sense.

In this case it doesn't matter as much as she'll be living there too, and knows the tenants. Though, you don't really know someone until you live with them so, I'd still advise you to get a throw for it flutterby.
    Thanks for the advice Katralla. Luckily I've lived with both of them at different times for several years, and it's an easily washable fabric. However, I may now buy a throw for it and put a little 'sponsored by katralla' label on it in honour of your concern ;)
    It's worth getting a throw for a new sofa anyway, that way if you have a party/friends round, eurovision night you can relax about crumbs and stuff getting on the sofa, and they're great for eating on sofas as you take it off and all the crumbs etc gone rather than down the gaps.