Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Brown's attempt to help stranded passengers

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Buzzlegum wrote: »
    Information would have been nice... I agree that laying on Navy ships was extreme, as the ferry companies were doing well. But extra trains/coaches were definately a necessity. People can't just be left.

When did you expect it? Immediately? After the first day? At what point do you think it became obvious to the "experts" that UK airspace was likely to be clsoed for more than a couple of days?

Point I am trying to make is, when did you want Govt to act?

The have laid on the RN, they have laid on coaches. Part of the reason that more ferries and Eurotrains are running is because Govt asked them to. Govt seem to be doing what people wanted, just not as fast as people wanted. This, IMHO, is due to unrealistic expectations and the benefit of hindsight.

All through this the airspace has been reviewed every few hoursand occasionally flights have been allowed in.

Whilst I have every sympathy for people caught out by this, both abroad and in the UK trying to get away, I really don't think that they could expect the Govt to bail out their holiday for them. It's one of the risks you take.

Sure, get caught up in a war and I;d expect immediate action, but when it's act of God...?
  • Options
    No, no one expected it straight away. But all we were told was "we don't know when this will end, suck it and see" kind of thing. As a 19 year old girl stuck abroad, that's kinda a scary prospect you know? I would have happily waited had they said "something will be available, just be patient." But nothing was said. I'm sure you saw loads on British tv, there's an election coming up. But abroad, there was not a lot of communication. It was scary and people did have to get home. I know it's a risk you take when you go on holiday, but I took out premium holiday insurance that said it covered "catastrophe", but it doesn't look like they're going to help either.
  • Options
    Buzzlegum wrote: »
    Information would have been nice....

This makes me laugh.

What information did people expect? Everyone knew the reason for the flights being grounded, did you want personalised minute by minute updates via text?

*****Dear Mr Smith Ash cloud still present planes still grounded, we apologise for the inconvience. Message ends*****

Talk about stating the bloody obvious. And saying that because you're abroad you were at a disadvantage somehow, I'm sorry but unless you were on a desert island somewhere without electricity, finding information would have meant spending a couple of euros on an internet cafe or calling a friend at home. Everything we know about the ash cloud came from the news, something that doesn't suddenly vanish the moment you cross the border.

People expect too much of the government, and it's funny that people are blaming Brown and Labour for a decision the civil aviation authority made which was backed up by similar authorities across Europe.
  • Options
    "we don't know when this will end, suck it and see"

That is what you're always told. The airlines, the government and anyone else can't control what the volcano is going to do, they can't put huge fans around it to blow the ash away from the country. All we could do is wait.
  • Options
    It's the governments duty to help brits in trouble abroad.
    There are an estimeted 150,000 stranded ...with kids old people etc.
    Many of these people have budgeted finely and are skint after their little spring break ...they have no means to get home but some of you don't give a fuck from your comfy little worlds.

Yea I saw some fucking journalist editor saying "People just dont know how to take initative these days.. I just jumped on a cargo ship and paid £800" (or some large moneys to that effect).

Find me a random person in the street who has £800 to burn.

Find me a family at the end of a holiday that's probably been saved up for because nobody has a lot of time, with no money left (probably overdraft and credit cards used), who has that kind of money to throw away.

I could have punched the smug journalist who no doubt wrote on his blog 'yea, I'm so pragmatic, everyone else needs to remember how to get around'.

Everyone else needs to string him up by his balls and hit him with a large stick.
  • Options
    ^^^
    :yes:
    Xx
  • Options
    Fair enough, perhaps the government aren't the one to moan at. But now they've got involved... Lord Adonis didn't exactly help appease people by saying everything was too cautious and people should have been allowed to fly. I can't help but think you'd be more sympathetic had you actually been in that situation yourself. I don't think you can just group everyone together and assume they just want the government to bail out their entire holiday, coz it's certainly not what I wanted.
  • Options
    I think the RAF keeping their flights grounded speaks volumes. Organisations that are losing money funnily enough say the ban was lifted too early.
    An organisation that wouldn't lose anything decides it's too dangerous to fly.

And I'd argue that an airliner with 4 engines that are larger than a fighter jets anyway will suck in almost as much air. It not going as fast will have a great deal to do with the sheer size and weight of the beast.
  • Options
    Following on from the airlines' call for compensation, what does everyone think about Brown's response to the crisis?

Ignoring the pathetic level of response in relation to the number of people affected, do you actually think that it is the responsibility of politicians to mobilise the navy, order fleets of coaches, etc. to repatriate holidaymakers?

Do you think help would have been offered at all, if there wasn't an election coming up?

Would money have been better spent providing immediate financial help through the embassies, for the cost of additional accommodation/food for the stranded passengers?

For what it is worth, and I suspect I am in the minority, I don't think this has been handled at all well. Much as I sympathise with those stranded, I don't think the situation equates with, say, the need to repatriate nationals directly affected by volcanic eruption, earthquake or flood while abroad. While not being able to get home after a holiday is extremely inconvenient, the individuals are in no personal danger. No employer or school can possibly hold them responsible for being late home. My view is that the embassies could have done more to support people in the destination country until the planes started flying again. This isn't exactly Dunkirk, after all.

I think this is a good call actually, Brown has been a reactionary PM, he seems to read the papers and then speak about the issues he thinks people care about. For example, he spoke about Jade Goody - I don't want my PM talking about loudmouthed reality TV stars, no matter how ill they are. It's transparent, and it's make me cringe. Of course, you're right it's headline time in the press - no style though as usual Labour, no class.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    The have laid on the RN, they have laid on coaches. Part of the reason that more ferries and Eurotrains are running is because Govt asked them to. Govt seem to be doing what people wanted, just not as fast as people wanted. This, IMHO, is due to unrealistic expectations and the benefit of hindsight.

All through this the airspace has been reviewed every few hoursand occasionally flights have been allowed in.

Whilst I have every sympathy for people caught out by this, both abroad and in the UK trying to get away, I really don't think that they could expect the Govt to bail out their holiday for them. It's one of the risks you take.

Sure, get caught up in a war and I;d expect immediate action, but when it's act of God...?

Act of God? I know that's what the insurance companies call it, but let's face it, a volcanic eruption is not an act of God.
    The insurance companies have used that as a reason not to pay out.

The Government took the decision to ban flights, not the volcano, so they should be the ones to repatriate people.

I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to be one of the people where they said "we're gonna send a plane up to 35,000 feet and try and get you home, oh by the way, there's a 50% chance it will drop out of the sky".

Like many have commented, people have saved up to go on holiday, they shouldn't be forced to spend further money on accommodation, food and travel, especially when adding up to a couple of hundred pounds or more per family.

As far as 'that's a risk you take' - balls. So if you were walking down the street and someone grabbed you and pointed a gun at you, we'd all just walk past and go 'oh well, they knew the risks?' - yeah right!
  • Options
    Like many have commented, people have saved up to go on holiday, they shouldn't be forced to spend further money on accommodation, food and travel, especially when adding up to a couple of hundred pounds or more per family.

Should the government back pay everyone who has ever had to do this then? The governemnt stoppled flights yes, but if they didn't and gave airlines the option to fly when posing a risk to lives of thousands, then they'd be grilled for not stopping it. Even worse if flights did take off and crashed. Where the government would also be blammed for not stopping it.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Should the government back pay everyone who has ever had to do this then? .

No, because if flights have been cancelled by the airline, they have been covered under the airline T&C's, or the pax travel insurance has covered it.

Read what I wrote. I certainly can't remember in my lifetime another incident on a similar scale (excluding 9/11).
  • Options
    Insurance should cover and they shouldn't be allowed to say 'act of god'.

State imo has no responsibility to compensate people, just the same as if people couldn't get to work because the government cancelled the buses for whatever reason - its just one of those things you need to deal with which is the whole reason insurance is there.

Obviously when it's widescale then the state should try to help out to repatriate people but that doesn't mean individually catering for everyone as that's an impossible challenge. Buses to 'hubs', extra boats + trains, stuff like that, seems sufficient to me.
  • Options
    People complain when the government has too much power, or gets involved in peoples lives too much, or spends too much money.

Then when they do make some contribution in a good way, its never enough.
  • Options
    FCUK it wrote: »
    No, because if flights have been cancelled by the airline, they have been covered under the airline T&C's, or the pax travel insurance has covered it.

Read what I wrote. I certainly can't remember in my lifetime another incident on a similar scale (excluding 9/11).
    That's what they are doing if they pay airlines and insurance companies back for their loss. That's the only way insurance companies will pay out to customers. Which lets not forget, loads have.