Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

some useless information for your brains

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Interesting historical facts;

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot then once a day it was taken and sold to the tannery. If you had to do this to survive you were 'piss poor' but worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot. They 'didn't have a pot to piss in' and were considered 'the lowest of the low'.

Back in the 1500's most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June. However, since they were starting to smell, brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odour, hence the custom of carrying a bouquet when getting married. Houses had thatched roofs, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying 'it's raining cats and dogs'. There was nothing to stop things falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence. In those old days, sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could 'bring home the bacon'. Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait to see if they would wait up, hence the custom of holding a wake.

And finally...... England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 were found to have scratch marks on the inside, and they realized they had been burying people alive, so they would tie a string to the wrist of the corpse, lead it up through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift) to listen to the bell; thus, someone could be 'saved by the bell' or was considered a 'dead ringer'.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Agreed!
  • Options
    Oooo AMAZING!!!! that was brill.
  • Options
    Dead ringer and graveyard shift are wrong.
  • Options
    You can't be serious about ALL of that stuff! I mean a bath, once a year????
  • Options
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    And finally...... England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 were found to have scratch marks on the inside, and they realized they had been burying people alive, so they would tie a string to the wrist of the corpse, lead it up through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift) to listen to the bell; thus, someone could be 'saved by the bell' or was considered a 'dead ringer'.

This is boxing slang from the latter half of the 19th century. A boxer who is in danger of losing a bout can be 'saved' from defeat by the bell that marks the end of a round. The earliest reference to this phrase is in 1893 in a boxing report: "Martin Flaherty defeated Bobby Burns in 32 rounds by a complete knockout. Half a dozen times Flaherty was saved by the bell in the earlier rounds."

The claim that the phrase is from the 17th century and that it describes people being saved from being buried alive by using a coffin with a bell attached is a myth. Although several patents were registered in England and the USA and were known as 'safety coffins', the designs were only registered in the 19th century and up to as late as 1955.There's no evidence to show that these coffins were ever put to wide use and there's a similar lack of evidence of the phrase EVER being used in that sense prior to it having been used in boxing circles.
  • Options
    People.Had.Yearly.Baths?????? ONE a year? Oh my god...
    And very interesting btw.
    Xx
  • Options
    People.Had.Yearly.Baths?????? ONE a year? Oh my god...
    And very interesting btw.
    Xx

it probably wasn't very important back then, especially if everyone else smelt too. like it wasn't important to brush your teeth in the victorian era, and people had wooden fillings and stuff.
  • Options
    I got this emailed to me at work, I cut some of it out cos it was realllllllly long. Perhaps some of it is a myth, I've no idea I just found it quite interesting!
  • Options
    i've got some really really useless information for strange brains,

Hull FC is the only premiership team where you can't colour in any part of the letters :D

(smart arses amongst you may comment that Hull FC may not be a premiership side for much longer)
  • Options
    Wow that was pretty cool.
    But I am sure I have read that some where else to.
  • Options

Hull FC is the only premiership team where you can't colour in any part of the letters :D

Yeah, it's because they can't afford colours. Braaaaap! :p
    Xx
  • Options
    Yeah, it's because they can't afford colours. Braaaaap! :p
    Xx

Lol. mark my words, Hull will become an independent island by 2015 called Hulland.
  • Options
    I have a dictionary of idioms, very interesting stuff.
  • Options
    Lol. mark my words, Hull will become an independent island by 2015 called Hulland.

You can colour in Hulland though.