Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Burns

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
had a stupid turn today at work and managed to burn my finger on one of the lights in the display cabinet. Ran it under cold water (not for a full 10 minutes cause i didn't want the directors thinking im lazy) and put some burn spray on it. Got home and its still killing. What should i do now? Also the actual bit i burned has turned white, a quick google tells me this means its probably full thickness, but i've learnt googling and automatically trusting medical stuff makes you an idiot

Comments

• Options
    I'm one of my office's first aid trained people and have looked up minor burns in my official St John's Ambulance first aid book for you :D It says you should cover the burn with kitchen film (cling film) or a sterile dressing and bandage it loosely in place. If there are any blisters don't break them as it could lead to infection - also don't put blister plasters on them or any adhesive dressings as when you remove them you could tear the skin.

As for it being white, my book says that with full-thickness burns the skin may look waxy or pale so if that's the kind of thing you mean I'd definitely get it checked by a doctor. The book says all full-thickness burns and all burns on the face, hands, feet or genitals should warrant medical attention, so even if it's not full-thickness as it's on your finger I'd get it checked out.
  • Options
    reckon a pharmacist would be of any help cause i really dont want to go the hospital for a tiny wee burn that is most likely nothing, although waxy and pale is probably a pretty good description of the burn
  • Options
    You could try a pharmacist as a starting point, hopefully they'll be able to tell you if it's serious enough for hospital treatment.
  • Options
    Pharmacist would definitely be a good start.
  • Options
    Went along, she said theres no point going to the drs cause its so small, just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get all infected
  • Options
    Sounds like good advice to me.

In future, its definitely worth keeping it under the tap for 10 mins, or until it no longer hurts when you take it out (and its had a few moments to get feeling back from the cold), whichever is the longest. That way they don't hurt later!
  • Options
    what keeping it under the tap does is cools it down because inside your burn it's very hot because you blood is working hard and ya it's a water blister don't pop it what the blister does is builds up a layer of water which keeps it clean and prevents it from getting infected

now in some cases blisters have to be popped and one of them is if you get a wart and get it frozen with liquid nitrogen it will build a water blister under the wart sometimes it builds a blood blister which has to be popped but never pop a blister on a burn also what the cling film does is protects it from infection in the air and keeps it air tight so if it starts to swet then take the cling film off for a bit just to give it some air it will feel cold and might sting a little bit but thats because it need to adapt to air now i've done this to myself before thats how i know what to do
  • Options
    Sounds like good advice to me.

In future, its definitely worth keeping it under the tap for 10 mins, or until it no longer hurts when you take it out (and its had a few moments to get feeling back from the cold), whichever is the longest. That way they don't hurt later!

Easier said than done when im trying to make a good impression at work especially after ive been all consumely shit all week
  • Options
    the worst thing you can do is put anything on it there something what you could what will most lightly work it heel it but it will sooth you could try emollient cream which which need a doctors prescription for ask your doctor about emollient cream because i've tryed that on the following

bum (you do have to masterbate sometimes to get it in corners of your bum)
    burns (do not rub if blistered)
    xma (i've not tryed it on xma but it's known to work guite well)
    itchy scabs (rub it in for 1 min to get it in all places of the scab)
    dry skin (it also puts moisture back into the skin)

do not put on face

also before applying anything make sure you clean the burn with a alcohollic spray because if theres a jerm on the burn then the cream will trap the jerm onto the burn and your body will not be able to fight it off
  • Options
    Knoppix wrote: »
    ask your doctor about emollient cream because i've tryed that on the following

bum (you do have to masterbate sometimes to get it in corners of your bum)

:eek2:
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    :eek2:

if you have a sore bum what keeps on itching and you put the cream on it and it still itches then it's more lightly that you haven't fully covered the core parts so if you masterbate it then your pushing the cream deeper into your bum and thats how you get it to work properly

i know it's a bit dirty but it never fails on most people
  • Options
    if you have a sore bum what keeps on itching and you put the cream on it and it still itches then it's more lightly that you haven't fully covered the core parts so if you masterbate it then your pushing the cream deeper into your bum and thats how you get it to work properly

i know it's a bit dirty but it never fails on most people

err... and what makes you the expert 'bum-masturbating' doctor?
  • Options

:lol: that made me lough
    I experiment and i don't give you advice on anything i've only tryed once

also that's how your doctor knows this stuff if you ask two doctors about the same thing they will both give you different answers because they do tests

oh and i'm not a doctor but all my methods should work 100%
  • Options
    Easier said than done when im trying to make a good impression at work especially after ive been all consumely shit all week

Well I realise that, but for future reference if you aren't so restricted on time then it really really does make a big difference.

Other options if you can't are wrap it in a damp cloth, wet tissue etc.
  • Options
    :lol: that made me lough
    I experiment and i don't give you advice on anything i've only tryed once

also that's how your doctor knows this stuff if you ask two doctors about the same thing they will both give you different answers because they do tests

oh and i'm not a doctor but all my methods should work 100%

I don't think doctors personally try all the treatments they prescribe.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I don't think doctors personally try all the treatments they prescribe.

no they don't but they do try things like putting ducktape on a wart
  • Options

:D Oh my gosh i am actually crying that made me laugh so much :thumb:
  • Options
    no they don't but they do try things like putting ducktape on a wart

What if they've never had a wart?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    What if they've never had a wart?

then they use another doctors method
  • Options