Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Weird things cats do

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondered of the cat owners out there what weird things does your cat do?

Mine has got a new thing- when I've just hung up my clean laundry to dry he pulls an item of his choice like a pyjama top off and drags it into his litter tray to poo and wee on :eek2:

Comments

• Options
    I love cats. Haven't had one for years though. My cat when I was growing up did tricks. We taught it to be goal keeper and stop little balls of paper from going between the gap between the kitchen cupboard and the cooker. Sometimes it would catch it in its mouth and bring it to us (me and bros), before dropping it at our feet and returning to goaly position.

She also used to come and lie on my bed with me whenever I was upset. She always knew. Lovely lovely cat, RIP Tia
  • Options
    LOL that is hilarious! My kitten brings things to play with from downstairs into the bedroom at night, e.g. toy mouse, foil ball, nail file. She also sleeps on my pillow with me so sometimes I wake up with a set of cat paws either side of my head (like I'm wearing a cat hat) and a toy mouse in bed with me.

She is obsessed with crisps and popadoms and goes crazy every time you eat either in her presence.

I think cats provide hours of entertainment, they do the most random things!
  • Options
    Cats are ok animals as pets, but I could never have one because I hate the cat hair EVERYWHERE and the way it stinks of cat poop because of the litter box (even if you keep it very clean. If you are not a cat person you smell it and it's gross).
  • Options
    Don't have a litter box then...
  • Options
    A cat we had when I was a baby used to use the toilet itself, #1 & #2's, including flushing after itself. Not faily uncommon but cool.
  • Options
    v. cool.
  • Options
    My cat looooves yoghurt and will climb all over you to get to if you have one.

She also gets lonely and worried if she cant find anyone in the house so she'll walk around and miaow til she finds someone. Not so cute when its 7 in the morning, you're trying to sleep and she's sitting outside my bedroom door crying to get in

I love cats soo much! :D
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »

She also gets lonely and worried if she cant find anyone in the house so she'll walk around and miaow til she finds someone. Not so cute when its 7 in the morning, you're trying to sleep and she's sitting outside my bedroom door crying to get in

My cat does that too.
    He also likes to open the drawers to get under the bed.
    Oh, he doesn't like sellotape. If it's being used he shakes his head and sticks his tongue out. He does the head shaking when hes playing with a ball or toy mouse.
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    I think cats provide hours of entertainment, they do the most random things!
    :yes:
  • Options
    Mine does loads.

Eating any insect it finds
    Drinking out of the toilet
    rolling over on its stomach and then biting you when you go to stroke him
    randomly running through the house growling for no reason
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Don't have a litter box then...

Hm, that's a good idea. Have the cat just shit everywhere it likes! Wow, how did I not think of that.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Hm, that's a good idea. Have the cat just shit everywhere it likes! Wow, how did I not think of that.

They can go outside to do their business.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    They can go outside to do their business.

We trained our cats to use the cat flap by helping them through then giving them a lil bit of tuna. Also, over a few weeks we'd move the little tray closer and closer to the door, then it went outside for a while, then we got rid of it and now she just goes outside by herself
  • Options
    I can't have a cat flap unfortunately because I rent my flat. Also my cat has become an elective house cat since I moved as he doesn't like the road outside (it's a mews). So I'm stuck with a litter box. But most cat owners don't have litter boxes beyond kittenhood.
  • Options

Well, if you're too thick to train your cat then... shat on is what you'll get.

We didn't have a cat litter tray and the cat never shat in the house.
  • Options
    Although, be aware, they do smell when they fart... my cats laying next to me right now :yuck:
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Well, if you're too thick to train your cat then... shat on is what you'll get.

We didn't have a cat litter tray and the cat never shat in the house.

You can't have your cat leave the flat in an inner city apartment.
  • Options
    Drinking out of the toilet

I've never known a cat to do that, but a relative's Alsation dog did that - drinking out of the toilet bowl. Highly amusing.

My family had a seal-pointed Siamese cat in 1990 (R.I.P. 2008), that did most of the tricks that you see on You've Been Framed. That included turning on lights and opening doors, even if she had to pull the door instead of push it. Her main trick though was to open the door of our microwave when we had food in it. We could come back to the kitchen to find that the food inside has been half eaten. The food itself could be anything from bolognese to mac-and-cheese. Our workaround was to gaffer-tape the door eject button lol :-D

Yeah Lexi, I've known a few cats to fart, but not dogs.
  • Options
    You can't have your cat leave the flat in an inner city apartment.

Never ever live in an inner city apartment, moral of the story :yes:
  • Options
    I cleaned my cat's litter tray a few moments ago and I'm pleased to report that there were no clothes in it this time.
  • Options
    chuckle
  • Options
    My cat licks my eyelids to wake me up... or nuzzles my nose...
    and then I'll get up and she'll pretend to be asleep at the foot of the bed :grump:
    Xx
  • Options
    My Cat Pancakes :heart: , Doesnt really do anything exciting.

She likes to bring mice in from outside, take them up stairs into the bathroom, drop them in the bath (alive) while she sits on the edge of the bath watching the mouse run up and slide down in the bath, She could do this all day, its been proven. I got up at 8am, she was sat doing it, Came home from work at 5pm, she was still sat there... :chin:

She brings birds in too, their usually bigger than her and her cat flap... which always makes me wonder.. HOW?! :confused:

She loves to sleep in bed with me, Eat crisps and she is OBSESSED with carrots.

At about 6am, You can always hear her sliding around on the laminate flooring having a mad half hour... phsycho cat... Gota love her :heart:
  • Options
    Cats are ok animals as pets, but I could never have one because I hate the cat hair EVERYWHERE and the way it stinks of cat poop because of the litter box (even if you keep it very clean. If you are not a cat person you smell it and it's gross).

As an aside, cat poop stinks because commercial cat food stinks. Ours eat a raw meat diet which has the dual benefit of a) not stinking half as much as tinned, pouch or dry food and b) because there is no waste, i.e. a cat utilises all the nutrients in raw meat/bone, they poop far less often.

Both cats have their own quirks. They are great hunters ... of flies and spiders! House plants don't stand a chance. We have to be really careful not to buy poisonous ones as anything green gets eaten. They go mad for pieces of raw cabbage and french beans, and will steal digestive biscuits out of your hand. They love cardboard boxes and paper bags and will roll around the floor in them for hours. The only really annoying habit is chewing light electrical cables, e.g. mobile phone leads. One of the cats gave himself a bit of a shock once when he chewed through a live printer cable. There was an awful spark as he hit the metal wire. Didn't do him much harm, luckily, but he did drink a lot of water for the next couple of days!
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Yeah Lexi, I've known a few cats to fart, but not dogs.

You should come and sit in my lounge after our three have had liver cake :sour:

Our cats aren't too weird. One of them is a bully to the other one, but then the other one eats his food so it balances out :D.

The only thing that's funny that Sabrina (the bullied one) does is that whenever I come home she basically blanks me for hours because my bed is her 'spot' and so when I come home and shut my bedroom door she gets really moody with me :p.
  • Options
    Another thing I remember from when they were kittens, theres absolutely no point in buying them expensive cat toys because household objects are much more fun!

My cat Stevie liked to play with the plastic green seal things off milk cartons that you take off to open it. Also cereal boxes and my brothers boots were their favourite, hours of fun!
  • Options
    My cat licks my eyelids to wake me up... or nuzzles my nose...
    and then I'll get up and she'll pretend to be asleep at the foot of the bed :grump:
    Xx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q
  • Options
    .Leanne. wrote: »

Haha thats sooo gooood I love it!!! My cats do that obviously without the baseball bat

EDIT: Hehehe I've just watched the others on youtube, I love it, theyre all sooo true! Especially the TV Dinner one!
  • Options
    Haha. They are all true. I love the 'let me in' one. My cat does that, well, not the throwing stuff at the glass lol but he will sit there after I have opened the door and stare at me. I will try and pick him up to bring him in but the bugger runs off.

I like it when my cat sleeps with a paw over his eyes.
  • Options
    .Leanne. wrote: »
    Haha. They are all true. I love the 'let me in' one. My cat does that, well, not the throwing stuff at the glass lol but he will sit there after I have opened the door and stare at me. I will try and pick him up to bring him in but the bugger runs off.

I like it when my cat sleeps with a paw over his eyes.

Yes! Hehe why do cats do that, you open the door for them then they sit there for 5 minutes before deciding whether they want to go through or not. My cat hurries up though when I go to shut the door on her.

Hehe my favourites one are Hot Spot - genius! Fly Guy, and TV Dinner. Theyve got all the mannerisms of the cat just right
  • Options
    Maybe we take our time letting them in or out, so they take their time. Just to annoy us really :)