Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Registered to vote in two constituencies?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all,

So I have postal votes in two different constituencies for the upcoming election. I'm only going to vote in one- do I need to cancel the vote in the other? Will anything go awry if I don't cancel that vote?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh dear, somebody was a bit naughty with the voter registrations
    xD not really- I have an automatic postal vote in my home town and somehow got offered one up here in my uni one too, I think it's to do with my housemate putting me on electoral roll so that she can get her loan blah blah blah.

I'll only be naughty if I voted on both!
    I dont know if it was different for the european elections, but one of my mates got 2 polling cards, one for at uni and one for at home, and she just used her home one and didn't do anything with her uni one and everything was fine apparently
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Oh dear, somebody was a bit naughty with the voter registrations

Yeah not necessarily - when I lived in halls of residence, many years ago now, they automatically registered everyone living there for a vote, and I already was registered at home.

It doesn't matter as long as you don't vote twice. (Obviously you could easily do that and no one would ever notice, but it is a criminal offence).
    In which case, whoever registered you at your home address supplied false information - you were not living there on the 26th of November, and as such should not have been on the form.
    most students get registered at two addresses, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thank you :)
    I'm registered at two addresses as I'm a student. It's nothing to do with supplying false info as I registered online and picked the specific option to register at two addresses because I'm a student and depending on when an election was called, I could've been at either of them. So long as you don't vote twice, everything is fine :)
    Vote in the place your vote has more impact.
    Yep, I've already figured that one out :D
    *ching*
    Can I vote twice, at home and at uni?
    You can’t vote twice in:
    • a UK Parliamentary, Scottish Parliamentary, National Assembly for Wales or European Parliamentary election.
    But you can vote in local government elections at home and at your term-time address, as long as they are not in the same local government area.

from the Electoral Commission

Hope this helps!