Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

To MA or not to MA?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
In my 'ARGH I'M NEVER GOING TO GET A JOB WITH A 2:2' worry-fest this morning, while I was sitting outside my tutor's office I saw a big poster advertising English MAs. A big lightbulb popped into my head about maybe doing a Creative Writing MA to boost my employability a bit.

The requirement is a 2:1, which I'm not going to get overall, but my CW marks so far have all been above 60 or around that.

It would involve four 8000-word modules and a 15k word dissertation which is going to be a stretch on my motivation and discipline but I think I could do it if I am enjoying it.

Provided I would even be considered (have just sent an email to my old CW tutor who would know the answer to these things), I want to know thoughts. Rich is a bit miffed because I did make a bit of a fuss about us moving in together but I think this might be better for me in the long run.

Blargh, I hate decisions.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    What kind of areas are you looking to move into, career wise?

If you want to do it because you want to do it and you think you'd enjoy it, then go for it, but to be totally honest I wouldn't have thought it'd do wonders for your employability. Makes me sad, but in my experience people still tend to see Creative Writing qualifications as a bit Mickey Mousey :grump:

If you want to do an MA that'll give you a career leg-up, I'd consider something related, but a bit more mainstream, like Arts Management or some kind of creative business subject.

That said, I think you are worrying a bit too much about getting a job with a 2:2. You might be at a disadvantage in terms of actual graduate schemes, but LOADS of people do well off 2:2s and thirds. It's more about your abilities, your attitude (you obv have a good work ethic cause you'd stuck it out in McDs for how long!) and your experience. If you want to do something creative, your best bet is going to be to try and get experience (might have to be unpaid at first) and build up a decent portfolio. Then no one will care what mark you got :)
  • Options
    MA's are pretty expensive, and I don't know about you, but I'm in my third year of uni and I'm kinda fed up of education now! No idea what job I'll have, but pretty sure I don't want to write another bloody essay! I think if you want to do creative writing you need to be one of those people who writes all the time, writes a diary, writes blogs, stories, whatever you can really, just be really into writing, if that makes sense. It would be quite nice I suppose to be a student for a bit longer, and you're young, and free, why not eh!
  • Options
    I would get a £1000 scholarship if I did an MA at my current uni. Plus I have a fair bit (I think it was about £5k? I might be wrong) in my savings account atm. The money isn't necessarily an issue.

I am worrying so much because I am so bad at finding jobs and getting them. I know that as soon as I get into it I would be really good but it's first impressions that matter and I am such a nervous stresshead that I never make a good one. People look at the fact that I've worked at McDonalds for so long and make assumptions and not assumptions of the positive variety.

Blargh.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »

If you want to do an MA that'll give you a career leg-up, I'd consider something related, but a bit more mainstream, like Arts Management or some kind of creative business subject.

I like this idea and, could you also hedge your bets by applying for both an MA and jobs and accepting the best outcome?
  • Options
    You just have to find a way of working it to your advantage. Break their assumptions by stating that your McD experience shows you're committed, not scared of hard work, and down to earth - all qualities that easily translate to loads of other jobs.

If you want to do the MA, and you think you'll get something out of it personally, then definitely go for it. But don't just do it cause you think it'll get you a job, cause you can get a job without it.

Have you looked at anything like internships?
  • Options
    I have to get to the stage of being able to say that though. I know I can put it on my CV and whatever but people still make judgements about my job. And that doesn't take away the 'bundle of nerves' effect when I go for interviews either :(.

I don't want to do just because I think it will get me a job, because that would be silly. I do think I'd enjoy it and I think it would force me to get more disciplined than I am at the moment, which is never a bad thing. I'll have a look at the other MA options.
  • Options
    In my experience (take into account I did a visual degree) it's about being in the right place at the right time. I think a lot of people worry too much about getting the 'golden' 2:1 and obviously there are exceptions, but as previously mentioned if you prove to employers that you're worth it you'll get a job. Grades only take you so far.

In terms of doing an MA, I'm in a similar position myself. Want to do an MSc in Creative Advertising but have absolutely zero cash. You're already at a head start. I'd say go for it if you'll enjoy it - you probably will never get the chance to do it when you start a job - but don't just do it because you think a 2:2 makes you unemployable. Best of luck.

PS. Would you get your tuition fees waived?
  • Options
    hey

DO IT :)

i am in the final stages of my MA and i have loved every minute of it - and i didnt get a 2.1 either.

i know you say you obv. have other factors to consider but if i were you id go for it - best decision ive ever made and if i could do it again i would.

ive found it was less pressurising than my BA though it was still intellectually demanding and pushed me to another level creatively. i surprised myself and have gained so much from it in other ways too.

hope thats a helpful insight for you