Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Going off sick with a 'fit' note

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heard about changes in the way GPs sign off ill workers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8599354.stm

Britain with its generous sick pay scheme does encourage abuse by employees intent on slackening and taking advantage. Is it good to have a new type of 'fitness' note signed by GPs after 7 days absence?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've had a few colleagues in the department who regularly took days and weeks off and everyone suspected a lack of commitment. In the past a doctors note meant no more need to turn up and protected by law.

Now workers have to discuss aspects of their job with the GP and how their illness affects their ability to perform. And with a fitness note it stops abuse of the sick pay system as everyone sees the person on the premises and its difficult to pretend they're ill

Hope I don't sound harsh and anti-worker rights, but when someone in the team keeps going absent it's stress and more work for folks who don't go off sick, rather than being pro-management
    How many GPs are going to have time to write a note detailing what someone can do? My GP did once tell me that she has no idea exactly what I can do - nor does she know of the help I need from other people.
    Melian wrote: »
    How many GPs are going to have time to write a note detailing what someone can do? My GP did once tell me that she has no idea exactly what I can do - nor does she know of the help I need from other people.
    No one really knows your job, unless they've done it themselves or been to your workplace to find out more. Hence the new system one could argue is a bureacratic timewaster prolonging GP consultations and a clever patient could still talk a doctor round to avoid work. 'Fitness notes' do put pressure on sick employees though- the message 'you should be at work' instead of an easy way out
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    'Fitness notes' do put pressure on sick employees though- the message 'you should be at work' instead of an easy way out

Which may be detrimental to the employees health...
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Which may be detrimental to the employees health...
    Sadly, the capitalist rat race has a nasty tendency to put money before people. This new fitness note ties with the notion your time is costed and entrepreneurs must maximize productivity of workers for industry to survive
    there were no shades of grey with the old system, either you were ill or you weren't. for those wishing to stay at work - perhaps on lighter duties or reduced hours - it just wasn't an option - so they'd be off work, and a lack of activity could trigger depression, and very easily make things worse.

So I support it in principle. In practice, it's likely to be abused.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    there were no shades of grey with the old system, either you were ill or you weren't. for those wishing to stay at work - perhaps on lighter duties or reduced hours - it just wasn't an option - so they'd be off work, and a lack of activity could trigger depression, and very easily make things worse.

So I support it in principle. In practice, it's likely to be abused.
    The old system of sick notes was better for skivvers, whilst dedicated workers with genuine problems would welcome fitness notes
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    The old system of sick notes was better for skivvers, whilst dedicated workers with genuine problems would welcome fitness notes

If they worked as the politicians say they intned them to.
    But surely if they regulated stuff more, gave people more incentives to work and employers didn't create more stress for the ones off work then this new idea wouldn't be here right now?

I was caused more hassle and stress by my employer when I dislocated my knee. They didn't believe me even with sick notes. Trying to force me back into work by hosting "meetings" to discuss my circumstances. They basically just wanted me fired because I couldn't do any work with it being retail.

In terms of the old system being good for skivvers, aren't ALL systems these days better for the skivvers? You get tossed around like a piece of shit following the rules. People just treat it as a job rather than a duty that affects peoples everyday lives, which leads to abuse and people slipping under the radar. The new system could easily be abused by doctors just wanted to get people in and out, give them a "fit note" telling them they can't do anything (which beats the purpose?).