Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Your home's location: likeable?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Where do you live?
a remote village, outskirts of town or amongst concrete jungle

The location of your home can turn you into a recluse, make a car a necessity and dictate your shopping frequency.

Do you like where you live?

Comments

• Options
    I live on the outskirts of town. It's a nice area but I'd rather live closer to the town centre.
    ETA: We have a few local shops and a social club about 10 minute walk from my house. There's a community centre and scout hut inbetween the shops and my house. It's a 10 minute bus journey into the town centre (about 30 min walk on a good day), buses are twice an hour but the fare has just gone up. It's nearly as cheap getting a return to Newcastle than it is getting a return into town.
    I'm about a 20 minute walk/10 minute bus journey to the nearest beach.
  • Options
    I live in a small village in Essex, we have shops and a mini Tesco's here but for work, school, bigger shops etc, its a 20 minute drive or a 45 minute bus journey, which is very frustrating. For uni though I live in the centre of Cambridge, no car needed as i'm within walking distance from everything i need to get to.

Got back to Essex on Saturday for Easter hols, and you notice the difference straight away, its ten times quieter, everythings far away, and to make matters worse my car is undriveable right now so im pretty much stuck at home
  • Options
    I live in London- inner/outer suburbs. What's good is I'm 30 metres to a train station which takes me to Charing Cross mainline station in 20min. Near a cluster of small shops too and bus links. I enjoy what's good about city life and have no complaints.

Always lived not far from town centres and local amenities since moving to London at 11 years old. Before that we lived in a town of 110, 000 and needed a car for convenience!
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I live in a small village in Essex........................................... back to Essex on Saturday for Easter hols, and you notice the difference straight away, its ten times quieter, everythings far away, and to make matters worse my car is undriveable right now so im pretty much stuck at home
    That's why rural dwellers like to have two cars per family!
  • Options
    I live on a road that is probably the highest point in Exeter with awesome views over the city from my bedroom. Guy Fawkes night is amazing to watch from up here!

There are fields behind us with no development allowed to take place because the fields are on the skyline.

I would like to live closer to the city centre on the one hand - but I do like the tranquillity of being on the outskirts.

So I am 90% happy about where we live. :)
  • Options
    I'm in a rural part of Northern Ireland, not that far from the border. I have to use the car for just about all journeys - the nearest bus stop is about 3 miles away and the roads aren't exactly safe to walk on. It's a pleasant enough location, bar one or two communication problems - the mobile phone tends to switch from Vodafone UK to Vodafone IE with little warning and the chance of getting broadband via the phoneline is virtually zero, due to distance from the exchange.

But at least you're guaranteed a peaceful night's sleep, which is something.
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    That's why rural dwellers like to have two cars per family!

We actually have 5 cars between 3 of us who can drive but 3 are classics and are not working/need maintenance/MOT etc, and I am only insured to drive mine which is waiting for new brake pads... thats what you get for buying a 40 year old car over something reliable
  • Options
    I live in concrete jungle on the 11th floor with a full sea/beach view from every room, i have a supermarket, hundreds of restaurants and my favourite clothes shop just downstairs. I have a mall which is a 10minute walk with a decent sized waitrose, a mini electronic shop and loads of clothes shops. My gym is a 15minute walk away (but i drive because walking home in the heat after a workout is not pleasant), so on the whole i'm happy here.

I do use a car quite often because my mum lives a 30minute drive away, my mother in law is a 10minute drive away and if i need speciality shops i would need to drive anything between 5mins (on the motorway) to 45mins (also on the motorway).
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    I do use a car quite often because my mum lives a 30minute drive away, my mother in law is a 10minute drive away and if i need speciality shops i would need...........

I'm near family too- makes the weekend visits a bit simpler :)
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    We actually have 5 cars between 3 of us who can drive but 3 are classics and are not working/need maintenance/MOT etc, and I am only insured to drive mine which is waiting for new brake pads... thats what you get for buying a 40 year old car over something reliable

Hope finding somewhere to park 5 cars isn't a problem- at least not much restricted parking or residents permit to buy in villages
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I'm in a rural part of Northern Ireland, not that far from the border. I have to use the car for just about all journeys - the nearest bus stop is about 3 miles away and the roads aren't exactly safe to walk on. It's a pleasant enough location, bar one or two communication problems - the mobile phone tends to switch from Vodafone UK to Vodafone IE with little warning and the chance of getting broadband via the phoneline is virtually zero, due to distance from the exchange.

But at least you're guaranteed a peaceful night's sleep, which is something.

You make me envious- trains run behind me and busy road in front!
  • Options
    This is my house:

myhouse.jpg

I think we're officially classed as rural, but as you can see, not a million miles from civilisation. I love where I live :heart:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    A suburb of the capital city. I guess you could say it's one of the nicer ones, by my reckoning: Lots of trees, plants and greenery, although there's more cars than blades of grass around (exaggeration). It's not as nice as it used to be though, as well as I remember it from the late 80s - early 90s. Plus, it has a seaside.
    As for the commercial scene, if there's not at least one store of the kind you'd want there is one in a nearby suburb. Although this being a capital city, distances don't matter so much.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I live in a village called Nomanlsand in the North of the New Forest (the less touristy bit). Pony, cattle, pigs and sheep everywhere. 12 miles from Salisbury, 15 miles from Southampton.

It quiet enough to get away with shit, and close enough to town for a good night out. Love it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    a small town in a rundown area of kent. the town itself is pretty cute, it has a church that looks like a cathedral and is full of oaps. bit of a culture shock for my mum though when we moved from hackney in london..

uni house in canterbury is on a student road but it's not noisy or anything. canterbury is gorgeous and i need to explore more. i just hate the bus station after 3pm. it's helllllllllll

my fingers are ridiculously crossed for moving to derry next year. i'm a sucker for the typical irish stony walls. i love walls, me.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I live in a village called Nomanlsand in the North of the New Forest (the less touristy bit). Pony, cattle, pigs and sheep everywhere. 12 miles from Salisbury, 15 miles from Southampton.

It quiet enough to get away with shit, and close enough to town for a good night out. Love it.
    sounds almost idyllic :)
  • Options
    my fingers are ridiculously crossed for moving to derry next year. i'm a sucker for the typical irish stony walls. i love walls, me.
    just settle on the right side if you're going to NI or you risk the lynch mobs- troubles over but sentiments still there
  • Options
    just settle on the right side if you're going to NI or you risk the lynch mobs- troubles over but sentiments still there

the right side of derry? if we were going to move there thsi summer we'd be living with his dad for a bit. he lives somewhere in derry but my sense of direction is poor despite having been there before :blush:
  • Options
    It's pretty awesome. 15 mins walk in one direction puts me in the centre of town. 2 mins the other way looks like this:

arthurs_seat_edinburgh_big.jpg
  • Options
    i live pretty much in the town centre. I have the school 5 mins away, a mainline trainstation 5 mins walk away which would get me to london in 45 mins. Plenty of shops and restaurants on my doorstep, but also a huge park on the other side
  • Options
    i live in an outer sub of birmingham and it's ok. the area i live in is fairly well-respected but it's full of snobs who think they are posh. i'm smack in between a very run-down council estate and quite a posh town (which all the people where i live think they live in). if you drive for 10 minutes you're in the countryside which is quite nice. it's nice enough but i'm bored here.
  • Options
    i live pretty much in the town centre. I have the school 5 mins away, a mainline trainstation 5 mins walk away which would get me to london in 45 mins. Plenty of shops and restaurants on my doorstep, but also a huge park on the other side
    An estate agent would love to have a well-located place like yours to put on their books

Your description reminds me of the 'ideal' property to entertain house hunters
  • Options
    My parents, uncle and grandad all live in what I guess is a suburb, next to a local school and about 5 minutes walk from the highstreet with lots of shops, banks, pubs, park etc. About 15 minutes by bus from city centre.
    Only problem is several run down bad estates near by that are slowly expanding and bringing the surounding areas down to thier level.

Whereas I spend term time living in a city centre flat with all its convience and troubles (like the night club directly over the road that plays music so loud it keeps me awake grr)

Come september I'll be moving into student suburbs instead, which I have yet to decide if its good or bad.
  • Options
    At home I live in a, um....wonderful....town in Essex. It's not somewhere I would advise anybody ever visit. Ever. Saying that, it does have some nice parts...the road out is good. Although, the surrounding area is fairly nice, it's half an hour from Chelmsford and Colchester, an hour or so from the coast and an hour from London on the train. The country park is lovely.

Canterbury? I love Canterbury. I think everyone should come here.
  • Options
    An estate agent would love to have a well-located place like yours to put on their books

Your description reminds me of the 'ideal' property to entertain house hunters

its great. its on a really nice street too, really quiet.
    If it had an extra bedroom and was actually mine rather than rented, id be a happy bunny
  • Options
    I'm near family too- makes the weekend visits a bit simpler :)
    Thats not close! I'm on a motorway pretty much from beginning to end!
  • Options
    I live in the centre of a large'ish town...5 minutes from the town centre and all the shops, 10 minutes from two large train stations so can get anywhere. 20 minute drive from Liverpool and Manchester. It's not too bad a town to live in, good night life etc. Although I do live on a council estate it's a pretty decent one :yes:
  • Options
    I live in the outer districts of a capital city. It's great, this is one of the districts which has the highest patriotism :) Many many years ago it didn't even belong to the city and when it did it was a worker district. We don't have much traffic here, we have many trees and green areas and I am a 5 minutes walk from a big nature-sanctuary with a river where I go to swim and hang out with friends many days in summer.

Still I'm very urban. I have everything I need in my vicinity and it's only 30 minutes to the inner city.
  • Options
    Across the street is a big highway. Sometimes I get woken up by morons driving into the cement barriers and then the bright lights of the emergency vehicles.

Besides that, its in the suburbs. Things are close, a plethora of grocery stores are about 1 mile away but I hate shopping so I only go to stock up and must drive... not to say that I wouldn't drive anyways of course.

I grew up in a small town and I used to think driving 20 miles (15 minutes drive) to the next town to go to the Target was quite close and no big deal, now I get pissed off and won't go if something is half the distance away. Granted my job is 7 miles away and takes 30 minutes... that might have something to do with it.
  • Options
    student89 wrote: »
    Come september I'll be moving into student suburbs instead, which I have yet to decide if its good or bad.
    Student suburbs can be quite an experience- good carefree atmosphere and arriving home late at night drunk