Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hidden stains.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Behind my bottom teeth, I have brown/yellow stains!
I drink a lot of tea and smoke. But how do I get rid of them?
God knows if I have them behind my top teeth as well; I just can't see in the mirror.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    a dentist. Magical guys.
    Would they be able to get the stains off?
    why don't you go and find out? they'll be able to get some off, but if you keep smoking and drinking they will come back over time. It's life.
    Is there any way I could get them off myself?
    Thanks to the ever so lovely and awesome Goth Detectives...
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+remove+stains+from+teeth

And to answer the other 9000 questions you will ask, a little chuckle...
    life-before-google.jpg
    You need to make sure you brush the back surfaces of your teeth too. It's easy to just do the fronts and tops and forget the rest.

You can get toothpastes that claim to remove stains (Pearl Drops, etc), but I don't know how well they work. Plus if you carry on doing tooth-stainy things, they'll just get stained again.

Other than that, your best bet is the dentist for a good, old-fashioned scale and polish :thumb:
  • luc_bluc_b Posts: 45 Boards Initiate
    Hi lyric

Teeth stains can be such a pain and it's annoying when it feels like there's no 'quick fix'!

This article on TheSite.org gives some dental advice - it mentions bleaching your teeth, which you may be interested in. I'd recommend booking an appointment with a dentist to see what they suggest.

Let us know how you get on! :)
    Thanks :) I think I'll try some good strong Smokers' toothpaste and we have this metal tooth pick thing at home which gets stains off.
    If not, I'll just ask about them at my next dental check-up.
    my name wrote: »
    Thanks to the ever so lovely and awesome Goth Detectives...
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+remove+stains+from+teeth

And to answer the other 9000 questions you will ask, a little chuckle...
    life-before-google.jpg

*bows*

and round of applause to you too, m'dear.
    Don't laugh, I remember having to write things down I was interested in so that I could look them up in the library at the weekend...
    Lol.
    Jim V wrote: »
    Don't laugh, I remember having to write things down I was interested in so that I could look them up in the library at the weekend...
    *coughs to hide laughter* Ahem. :lol:
    Xx
    Awwww Jim :D.
    I'd recommend a trip to the dental hygienist. For about £50 they get your teeth really clean and stain free. Of course the stains come back which is why you need to go a couple of times a year or so.
    I am terrible for visiting the dentist. Haven't been for years.

Having said that, I do try to look after my teeth. As well as smokers' toothpaste, I would recommend getting yourself an inexpensive electric (or battery-operated) toothbrush. They do a much better job than an ordinary toothbrush. Oral B Vitality brushes come up on special offer from time to time. We got ours for about £12 ea. You might need to change the plug on the recharging base though, if you don't have a shaver socket in your bathroom.

this is almost as sad as me getting excited about 'word of the day' on dictionary.com :P

lyric can you cut down on the cigs or tea if you think those are the cause? im currently trying to have tea without sugar now, graaaaadually g etting used to it :)
    I always have my tea without sugar.
    Will the stains on the backs of my teeth come off though if I scrub them with an electric toothbrush and smokers' toothpaste or do I need dental help?
    *sigh*

You. go. to. the. dentist.

Dentist says "omg what horrible stains you have"

You say "oh, dentist, I know, please scrub them off for me. Will it hurt?"

Dentist says "no, no, you silly muffin."

You leave with a white smile.

2 years later you ask us again why you have more stains and how you can get rid of them.

Reaction of the board: :banghead:
    My best advice is go to the dentist to have your teeth properly cleaned. Smoking, tea and coffee can leave you with a bit of a yellow (or, worse, brown!) smile. But if these "stains" are only on the back of your teeth and your smile is still relatively white, I suspect the stains are actually a build up of plaque and therefore not possible to remove with a toothbrush (electric or otherwise). Don't be tempted to scrap away at it with your metal instrument either. You are likely to damage the protective layer of enamel.

The good news is that once the dentist has removed the plaque, it should be possible to keep your teeth nice and clean by brushing morning and night. An electric toothbrush will certainly help to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Flossing between your teeth will also help the plaque coming back.