Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Anyone date someone foreign? / Dating someone foreign

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I might be going out with someone foreign (Hungarian) who I know from work. But I'm just wondering if it is worth getting to know this lass when she doesn't speak English properly?

Does anyone here date anyone foreign who doesn't speak English well? If so, what do you do? How do you cope?

Any help would be good.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I might be going out with someone foreign (Hungarian) who I know from work. But I'm just wondering if it is worth getting to know this lass when she doesn't speak English properly?

Does anyone here date anyone foreign who doesn't speak English well? If so, what do you do? How do you cope?

Any help would be good.

How can you have a relationship with someone if you both cannot comunicate that well. I mean apart from physical it is almost pointless, fair enough if you could both speak a language and communicate then go for it, but how will you even get to know her?
    My (sort of) boyfriend is from Norway... it's a veryyyy LDR though, so nothing mega serious.
    But, he is good at English, although some words he gets stuck on and sometimes speaks in quite formal languge...
    I am helping with his English though, which I find nice. I like being useful. He is teaching me some Norwegean.. so far I can say Fuck, and I love you :p
    Xx
    I used to be with an Argentinian, he spoke some English, and I Spanish, but not that much. My Spanish did improve an awful lot, as we did a lot of signing of stuff, and then saying the word.
    You really move fast man... I can't keep up!

I was with a Belgian girl for a while once. She didn't speak great English, but it was better than my French. I'd say it was okay on some levels, but without being able to really communicate with someone properly, in my opinion it's not going to work (unless you like them enough to learn their language). That's depending on what you want from the relationship though - if you want it to be casual, non-serious, then it could be okay.
    my boyfriend is french, but he speaks good english. It wasnt as good when we first got together. It was still alright, but hes improved loads in the last few years weve been together.
    I imagine it would be quite difficult to have a relationship with someone you couldnt chat to easily, but i guess you cant underestimate the physical too!
    Well, it's great practice. I would go for it. You can always converse somehow, even if it takes hand and feet.

only been with someone who is a native english speaker. My spoken english is way worse however and this was back a few years so we came by.
    I rang her and she answered. I got a mental block. I need some serious help with my fucking shyness. Its really put my confidence in a huge big black hole where it can't get out.
    Heyy Mr. Ferrari09,
    Does she know you are shy?
    I think you should ring her again, say sorry, and then maybe if you can ask her out for drinks or something? The best way to become confident is by being socail.
    Good luck,
    Xx
    I don't see any point because I am shy and won't speak to her....I was like this when i met someone for a couple of drinks and she said that I was too shy... I could have swore at her and told her what I thought of her, but I deleted her number off me phone striaght away.
    well I don't think this whole internet dating/sexing is working out for you. Try to find a female friend first where you can improve your talking to girls. They are great practice.
    I don't have a temper geneve

I'm going out on a date with her striaght after work tomorrow. Wish she could speak better english as she only knows a few words.:impissed: :grump:
    Oh man that's gotta be tricky then... Maybe you could help her learn?
    Oh and, learn to say "I love you" {or I like you} in her languge it'll make her smile :p
    Xx
    why are you asking about internet dating if you're dating this girl?

and what are you going to do on this date if she only speaks a few words of english and you don't speak any hungarian??
    Yep it is going to be ticky lol. Maybe I could help her learn.

I think 'Kedvelleck' is I like you in Hungarian, just had a quick look on the net.

I'm wondering where to go for a few drinks tomorrow. Whetherspoons?
    Yep it is going to be ticky lol. Maybe I could help her learn.

I think 'Kedvelleck' is I like you in Hungarian, just had a quick look on the net.

I'm wondering where to go for a few drinks tomorrow. Whetherspoons?

NO!! try and find somewhere more....interesting. like not a chainy place
    grace

Like a pub in the countryside?
    grace

Like a pub in the countryside?

well not necessarily, although if that's possible i think it would be lovely but maybe something like a not high streety bar
    I've dated a Cypriot before. He spoke near perfect English though.
    My ex was Australian, but obviously there was no issue with language there!
    I'm currently dating an Italian girl, but she speaks pretty good English as she's studying it over here for her career. Making conversation is fine, but I do find myself speaking a little bit slower and sometimes simplifying what I say. Occaisionally I have to explain words aswell, but it's cool.
    She's trying to teach me a bit of Italian but I'm failing miserably. Haha
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    She's trying to teach me a bit of Italian but I'm failing miserably. Haha
    definitely a perk. i'd love that.

my boyfriend is from n ireland- so obviously no problem there. im still no good at imitating his accent though. :grump:
    It depends on how dedicated you are and willing to make it work.

Having said that, I have a friend who's dating somebody and they talk in what is neither her nor his native language and their knowledge is kinda basic. Don't know how their relationship works but they've been together for 5 years!!

It's doable though. :)
    my girlfriend is german but we speak german so its a different situation

i personally couldnt have a relationship with someone who was speaking a second language (yes i am aware of the irony) because i wouldn't be sure whether they were expressing themselves exactly as they want to, plus its fairly ignorant to just expect other people to learn your language

having said that, it works for a lot of people, so go for it

people have different personalities in different languages though
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I've dated a Cypriot before. He spoke near perfect English though.

cypriots are so hot :blush:

Mr. Ferrari - perhaps a nice quaint pub somewhere? I am a massive fan of cafés and coffee shops, especially quirky ones with extremely comfy sofas. But that's not for everyone!

If you're shy you could always have a swig of something strong before going out, and just don't get too drunk. When I went into halls I was too shy to speak to anyone so I just knocked back a little bit of absinthe in my room and it fixed me right up :)
    Went on 'date' yesterday afternoon. We went for a walk. She was using her hungarian-english books (bless her!). Got back to the car, and she gave me a kiss on both cheeks which was nice of her.

I sent her a 2 texts this morning and she said that she likes me :D but only as friends.
    I then asked if she "don't want to be girlfriend boyfriend yet, or forever"....no reply......Should have asked her if she only wants to be friends forever silly me (might have been more easier for her).

I shouldn't have asked her that.:no: :nervous:

Have to see how next week goes.....hope we go on another date.
    I think you were maybe a bit too forward... I don't think asking questions like that when you've only just met will do you any favours.
    I think you were maybe a bit too forward... I don't think asking questions like that when you've only just met will do you any favours.

Yea I know!
    Well even though she didn't seem bothered about anything straight away, you never know if anything might happen in the future. I agree with what someone said further up the page that as you get more experience with girls in any context, you'll become more confident and probably be able to handle the situations smoothly. It's all good experience :)
    Thats totally true :)
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    cypriots are so hot :blush:

Indeed :D

Like pill 'ed had to do, I would have to explain certain words, phrases, and some local slang. Which I don't speak often, but when I do I really don't realize it. Since I always talk to fellow Liverpudlians. hah. He understood comedy from America easily, but English comedians he struggled with and missed the point of the joke while I'd be laughing hysterically.
    Tbh, Mr.F, I'd take the no reply as a no and that you probably won't have another date next week.
    She wants to be friends so I think that says it all. Sorry man, but it's built your confidence for next time!