Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Airport Scanner

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, people were happy to fly without scanners in the past. People also were bombed and hijacked in the past. Your point?

And they will continue to be. Yours?
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    And they will continue to be. Yours?

The chance however decreases. I don't know about you but my idea of a holiday doesn't involve plummeting to the earth in a ball of flames. Anything that reduces that chance is fine by me. If you're that bothered about someone being able to see your goolies then don't fly. Simple.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't really mind either way. Use a scanner or ask me to strip naked, it's not a big deal either way as long as all you do is look.
  • Options
    If I'm ever passing through one of these scanners I'm going to work up a stonking boner beforehand.

I was going to say that'd I'd draw the line at cavity searches, but then the idea of some poor fucker having to stare into my shit hole made me laugh, so I'd probably go for that as well. :D
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If you're that bothered about someone being able to see your goolies then don't fly. Simple.

No, if you're that bothered about dying, you don't fly.
  • Options
    It doesn't affect me anyway, as I don't fly in the UK, and as I consider a registration in the Government's Identity Database will increase the chances of identity theft (while reducing the chances of being able to prove it) my passport has expired, so I'll not be flying any time soon.

The problem is, they'll be introduced in airports, where peoples fear of flying will boost the TERROR THREAT and they'll accept it as a necessary evil. From there they'll enter general life.
  • Options
    I'm not bothered about dying unless it's a pointless, avoidable death. Searching everyone on a plane before it takes off decreases my chances of dying in a fireball above the Atlantic. You may be happy confining yourself to this sceptred isle and living like a hermit so you stay out of Big Brother's watchful gaze, but I like going abroad. If making people appear naked on a screen for several seconds instead of subjecting them to the indignity of random strip searching makes my flight safer then I can live with that.
  • Options
    Yes, but we know you're a proto-fascist anyway
  • Options
    As for the 'bogeyman of terrorism', this is a real threat.

Is it? I mean really? Look at the stats I posted or look at the history of terrorism in the air.

The risk (everything has an element of risk) is so small to be statistically irrelevant. Hell even when terrorism in the air was in its zenith back in the 70s and 80s the actual risk was very small.

There is actually a greater risk of you dying if the plane crashed than as a result of air terrorism.
    the Christmas Day guy with the bomb in his pants, the guys who had the explosive liquids in the drinks bottles and Richard Reid prove that they are out there and willing to do this kind of stuff. Having shown the lengths that they are willing to go to, I don't think it's unreasonable for the airlines to take suitable precautions.

None of thise cases were, or would necessarily have been, picked up by these scanners. So I question whether this is a "suitable precaution" or whether it gives people the illusion of a precaution.

Risk will never be eliminated. Fine put in scanners. What will you do when the next "risk" highlighted is one which the scanners would not pick up.
  • Options
    I'm not bothered about dying unless it's a pointless, avoidable death.

Like the plane crashing? ;)
    Searching everyone on a plane before it takes off decreases my chances of dying in a fireball above the Atlantic. You may be happy confining yourself to this sceptred isle and living like a hermit so you stay out of Big Brother's watchful gaze, but I like going abroad. If making people appear naked on a screen for several seconds instead of subjecting them to the indignity of random strip searching makes my flight safer then I can live with that.

Personally, I like the idea of being treated like an innocent istead of as someone under suspicion. Damn me and my concept of being free.
  • Options
    What this story makes me think is thus

Woman who works with the man walks through the scanner by mistake. Man being a bit of a perv makes some sort of lewd comment, ie "phwoar, just like I imagined". Woman gets offended, police are called, whole things gets called a gross invasion of privacy and the original critics of the damned things crawl out the woodwork.

At the end of the day, if it's a choice between death or my bits being displayed on a grainy black and white picture, then I choose the bits being on display.

This :yes:

Anyway... I prefer this idea of a scanner to being searched... by about a million.

Last time I got searched was infront of a whole bunch of my friends - and it was one of the most embarassing moments of my life. Some butch woman started to search me... I laughed nervously and then got yelled at... and then she proceeded to search/pat/grope me even more :grump:
  • Options
    And this, if i was gonna wank over people, wouldn't be some rubbishy x-ray picture

I think it would be less the visual stimulus and more the taboo of being able to see someone intimately without their 'permission' as it were that would be hot.

Although whowhere - do you really think if they dont implement these then we'll all die?

People used to lay down their lives in this country for our freedom, these days we seem to have forgotten what that means.

edit: oh and btw there is already several ways to get round them and put a bomb on the plane if you wanted to. One of my friends mentioned this to a security sergenty person at an airport and they shrugged and said they knew! It's a game, if someone wants to blow up an airplane, they will. Hell, strapping a bomb to themselves and blowing up the security checkpoint when its busy with a couple of hundred people sitting waiting to get patted down and strip searched does a pretty good job of terrorising people doesn't it?

Just the same as bobby's wearing big hats imo.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

Although whowhere - do you really think if they dont implement these then we'll all die?

I never said that or implied it, and you know I didn't.

The scanners will decrease my chance. I don't understand why people are bothered about them, they're much faster and far less intrusive than a full body search which can be done on you already. If airport security wants to strip you naked to search you there's nothing you can do about it anyway. The former is an invasion of privacy sure, the latter? Rubber gloves anyone.
  • Options

The scanners will decrease my chance. I don't understand why people are bothered about them,.

The scanners will slightly decrease the chance. It's not an amount I consider to be worth the cost.

You can completely remove the chance, but you consider that cost to be not worth while.
  • Options
    The scanners will decrease my chance.

How and by what factor?
  • Options

The scanners will decrease my chance. I don't understand why people are bothered about them, they're much faster and far less intrusive than a full body search which can be done on you already. If airport security wants to strip you naked to search you there's nothing you can do about it anyway. The former is an invasion of privacy sure, the latter? Rubber gloves anyone.

Though they need some grounds to do a full strip search, they dont need grounds to do a body scan.

I'm with others, it may marginally reduce the risk but it significantly infringes on our right to privacy.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    How and by what factor?

We'll only know that over time won't we. Certainly won't increase my chance now will it.:razz:
  • Options
    We'll only know that over time won't we. Certainly won't increase my chance now will it.:razz:

Actually it might. Because the scanners give a sense of security, other vigilance might be relaxed.

But you know that anyway, don't you. being a PCSO - being "seen" makes people feel safer, so it's OK to cut budgets for actually detecting crime - or heaven forbid, preventing it.
  • Options

But you know that anyway, don't you. being a PCSO - being "seen" makes people feel safer, so it's OK to cut budgets for actually detecting crime - or heaven forbid, preventing it.

No, arresting/detaining people, seizing nuisance vehicles, confiscating alcohol from underage drinkers, removing trespassers from school sites, doing PSHE lessons and assemblies on the dangers of weapons/knives and being aware of how to use the internet safely are all things that make people feel safer and are all things I've done in the last couple of weeks and have done thousands of times in a career spanning 7 years so far.
    Not to mention also attending RTCs, performing first aid on seriously injured/dying people, forcing entry to houses to get to those serious injured/dying/dead people, locating drug dens, organising the warrants to raid those drug dens, grabbing young children who are just about to get hit by a car because they've run into the road, rescuing young children from being savagely beaten at the hands of a gang, reassuring victims of crime, taking first disclosure from rape victims because I was first on scene e.t.c e.tc. e.t.c..

But of course, I'm only a PCSO. So you keep believing all the crap you read in the paper about how we're only "seen" and don't actually do anything.

And yes, you've touched a nerve. Fucks me right off when people like you assume we just walk around hassling photographers and picking on people who drop litter.
  • Options
    No, arresting/detaining people, seizing nuisance vehicles, confiscating alcohol from underage drinkers, removing trespassers from school sites, doing PSHE lessons and assemblies on the dangers of weapons/knives and being aware of how to use the internet safely are all things that make people feel safer
    I love how you missed the point that feeling safer and being safer are two quite different things - even making my point for me. I'll try again, as you've given the speech - "Carrying a knife will make me safer... or at least wont increase the risk"
    But of course, I'm only a PCSO. So you keep believing all the crap you read in the paper about how we're only "seen" and don't actually do anything.

And yes, you've touched a nerve. Fucks me right off when people like you assume we just walk around hassling photographers and picking on people who drop litter.
    I base my opinions on the PCSOs I've dealt with and worked with. That the reports match my experience must just be one of those awkward things best forgotten. I feed into that opinion things I hear from policemen I know. My opinion remains that it is a cost effective measure that has a tendency to attract the wrong kind of person - like charities running children's homes. I suggest the reason it touches a nerve is that you know that the problem exists, and that you don't like people to think of you as one of the wrong sort.
  • Options
    confiscating alcohol from underage drinkers

HOW could you do that ??? :crying: :crying: Haha XD
    Xx
  • Options
    I love how you missed the point that feeling safer and being safer are two quite different things - even making my point for me. I'll try again, as you've given the speech - "Carrying a knife will make me safer... or at least wont increase the risk"

I am of the belief that the scanners as well as helping people feel safer will actually make people safer. You disagree with that, but then you don't travel by plane anyway....
    I base my opinions on the PCSOs I've dealt with and worked with. That the reports match my experience must just be one of those awkward things best forgotten. I feed into that opinion things I hear from policemen I know. My opinion remains that it is a cost effective measure that has a tendency to attract the wrong kind of person - like charities running children's homes. I suggest the reason it touches a nerve is that you know that the problem exists, and that you don't like people to think of you as one of the wrong sort.

Then it must be the area you live in. It touches a nerve when people ASSUME things about me without having met me or worked with me. But then when people base their assumptions on an entire group of people simply because they've had a bad experience with the minority, it tends to piss most people off.
  • Options
    I've not assumed anything about you - but perhaps your area has better PCSOs than the three I am familiar with
  • Options
    I've not assumed anything about you - but perhaps your area has better PCSOs than the three I am familiar with

If you haven't then fine, fair enough. The fact that PCSOs across the country are given wildly differing powers and responsibilities doesn't help.
  • Options
    Didn't I comment in this thread?...

Just curious, would staff/pilots use these too? If terrorists really will go to any extremes, would they go through the lengthy process of pilot training?
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Didn't I comment in this thread?...

Just curious, would staff/pilots use these too? If terrorists really will go to any extremes, would they go through the lengthy process of pilot training?
    its much easier than that
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    its much easier than that
    But isn't terrorism all about catching you off guard, doing something not expected, creating more panic/barbaric laws?