Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'H & S' ban cub scounts from Harrods

I'm not pro-scouts but this story makes my blood boil. I mean like, they're only kids, and there was security on the premises. What difference would it have been to allow a group of uniformed school children in? It's not like a group of adolescents who have CHAV written all over themselves is it? Every single day that passes in England, I am one step closer to emigrating.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They were scouts, not cub scouts. (actually, they looked like ranger scouts, but that's by the by)

And I'm a bit confused, I thought you usually complained when the state intervened to prevent discrimination. (ETA I could very well be confusing you for someone else.)
  • Options
    Harrods are just a bunch of twats. They've done this to plenty of other people, including groups of soldiers in uniform.
  • Options
    That is so SO stupid. If people are in uniform, it'd make it easier to find them if they did commit a crime!! My local morrisons only allows one school child in at a time (well, high school child) in the morning before school. BUT I had a non uniform day, and it was pretty obvious I was going to school, I had my bag on and my Planner in my hand!! Which has the school logo on. Yet, I was let in when there was *shoch horror* already another high school child in there!!
    EDIT: Just to let you know, it is a big Morrisons. Like... very big.
    Xx
  • Options
    Maybe they thought you were a 6th former, and so a responsible student?

As for Harrods, it's an over-priced hell hole anyway. Any place where a sales assistant thinks it acceptable to look you over and decide you can't afford anything, despite the fact I earn a hell of a lot more than the smarmy bastards anyway can fuck off.
    Can't stand sales staff who think they're superior to you.
  • Options
    No, don't have a sixform at my school. The thing was, I was with a girl in her unfiorm and she wasn't allowed in till the school kid currently in there came out.
    Stupid.
    I mean, I can understand it in a small shop but a massive supermarket?
    Xx
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Every single day that passes in England, I am one step closer to emigrating.

What's this got to do with England? I don't see how the country this happened in is somehow at fault here. Boycott Harrods by all means (something I have inadvertently been doing my whole life, having never set foot in the place). But your rage seems a tad disproportionate!

Stories like this drive me crazy, largely for the opportunity they give to people to get hysterical about nothing and proclaim the country is going to the dogs. It's like all the bullshit about how local councils have banned christmas and conkers and all that nonsense. Not at all true, but there's little that feels as good as a bit of righteous indignation!

The fact that there are a few jobsworth types about doesn't mean that the whole nation is doomed. Chill.
  • Options
    Having been a scout, in my youth, I'd say they should be banned from any shop. Especially those with alcohol.

Or was it just my troop that was filled with alcoholic, chain smoking tealeafs?
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Having been a scout, in my youth, I'd say they should be banned from any shop. Especially those with alcohol.

I was in the sea scouts, but in ventures (not rangers! what was I thinking???) I'm fairly sure we all paid for our beer
  • Options
    Let's make something clear though: Harrods have been banning those it deems undesirable for many decades, and it has never had anything to do with H&S, and all with their snobbery.

At least in the past they had the gulls to come out and say it, rather than hiding behind H&S nonsense.

So don't pack your suitcase quite yet Monserrat- certainly not as far as H&S goes.
  • Options
    h & s?
  • Options
    Everyone should check out this website for similar bullshit stories:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/
  • Options
    Harrods are just a bunch of twats. They've done this to plenty of other people, including groups of soldiers in uniform.

Plus they are the only department store in the UK to still sell animal fur.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »

Haha!! The reason I quit scouts was because they were the opposite of that... boring boring BORING. And, when ever we went on walks the scouts leader drove along beside us.
    Xx
  • Options
    I was dressed like a right scruff when I went in there, but the staff all seemed fine. Still didn't buy any of their overpriced tat though. But you do see them at the door telling big groups to split up. I've been to plenty of posh shops, and have never experienced the "as if you could afford this" look yet, despite the fact that I couldn't afford any of it.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Plus they are the only department store in the UK to still sell animal fur.

What, like leather?
  • Options
    Fur not skin.
    Xx
  • Options
    I was dressed like a right scruff when I went in there, but the staff all seemed fine. Still didn't buy any of their overpriced tat though. But you do see them at the door telling big groups to split up. I've been to plenty of posh shops, and have never experienced the "as if you could afford this" look yet, despite the fact that I couldn't afford any of it.
    Recently Harrods was in the news for a similar incident, when they told a group of men wearing tracksuits they couldn't come in.

Unfortunately for Harrods the men in tracksuits turned out to be a professional football team from somewhere in Eastern Europe, who promptly went elsewhere to spend their ample wages.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Recently Harrods was in the news for a similar incident, when they told a group of men wearing tracksuits they couldn't come in.

Unfortunately for Harrods the men in tracksuits turned out to be a professional football team from somewhere in Eastern Europe, who promptly went elsewhere to spend their ample wages.
    Yeah I remember that one. I think it was Shakhtar.
  • Options
    Fur not skin.
    Xx

I've never got the distinction. Morally, at least. Both are animals being killed to make clothing. I suppose with leather, it's a bi-product of animals that have been killed for other products anyway, so it's not quite as bad. If you drink milk, then it would be weird to have an issue with buying leather, for example, whereas your fur animal might've been killed just for the fur. I'm not sure though, but it just seems weird that fur specifically is very emotive, when in principle it's the same as leather.
  • Options
    http://www.vegansociety.com/References/Animals/Leather.aspx
    And, I don't drink milk ;) Personally, I think the selling of any dead animal for personal greed is wrong. But let's NOT get into this again xD
    Xx
  • Options
    By posting this scouts article, have I basically responded to a stock/saved article due to a no-news week?
  • Options
    The article you posted mentioned the football team (and is the only place H&S is mentioned in the article) it also links to video of a bunch of Liverpudlian guids who had the same experience.
  • Options
    I was in Harrods on thursday, and the security guards (on the ball here) managed to clock a class worth of kids from foreign lands on a school trip to london, trying to get in multiple entrances in small groups of 5 or 6.

I dont think they banned the footballers or the scouts because of what they were wearing, but because of the numbers. Its still a bit of a bollocks reason, but its deffo not due to the reasons stated in many of the stories.

Bit like the story of the woman who got in touch with the BNP about a muslim post master in the local post office who apparantly barred the woman because her son was in the army, and he refused to process a parcel to her son. The reason he refused a parcel was because the woman was barred from the post office and a number of shops in the area allready, because she was a grade A cow. The fact that she had a son who was a soldier had nothing to do with it, yet things get twisted.

Maybe harrods is a little militant in the way they react to groups of people, but as with most stories regarding this issue and harrods, its never quite as clear cut as you think.

Plus if scouts are shopping in harrods, they must be getting too much pocket money.
  • Options
    It is all to do with Harrods not being a real shop at all. It is a tourist attraction (just look at the tacky Harrods branded souvenirs) and, as such, groups have to make appointments to visit!!!!

I'm sorry that the Scouts were disappointed, but it shows Harrods up for the fairytale castle it is.
  • Options
    Cant really argue with them too much, the amount of money that place makes!
  • Options
    http://www.vegansociety.com/References/Animals/Leather.aspx
    And, I don't drink milk ;) Personally, I think the selling of any dead animal for personal greed is wrong. But let's NOT get into this again xD
    Xx

That's confused me. How does the fact that leather is the most valuable part of an animal negate the fact that it's a by-product of raising the animals? Just like meat for dog food is a by-product of the dairy industry, vodka is a by-product of the crisp industry, and marmite is a by-product of the whisky industry. It doesn't matter if these areas are more profitable, it's still the case that these things would just be thrown away if we didn't make use of them. I'm just saying I find the idea of cutting out one product from an animal, and then buying some of the other products is a bit ridiculous. Either cut out the whole of that particular animal, or don't bother.

But anyway, that wasn't really my point. I was just wondering why fur gets all of the criticism. Take seal fur, for example. They're not endangered. They're not held captive purely for the purpose of the things we can kill them for, unlike cows. Yet can you imagine the press if a celebrity wore something made of seal fur? Is it, as I very much suspect, that seals are cute and cows aren't? Admittedly seals in particular are far more intelligent, which usually skews our feelings too, but there are plenty of examples of furs from animals that aren't. Or is it that it presumably takes more seal deaths to make a garment, whereas one cow makes lots of shoes? But yeah, fur gets a lot of animal rights press, but I've never heard the argument as to why I should be more concerned about it than any other animal product.

Bit off topic, admittedly, but how many different ways can you say "Harrods are wankers" anyway?
  • Options
    VODKA IS WHAT?!!!! How is vodka a by product of crisps...???
    Xx
  • Options
    VODKA IS WHAT?!!!! How is vodka a by product of crisps...???
    Xx

Vodka is made from potato.
  • Options
    Seriously? Oh my god. Random fact of the day :p
    Xx
  • Options
    lol