Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Assertiveness in Work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I am struggling in work...

I confided in a colleague today that I feel I am being singled out by a supervisor. I work in a very busy environment, where we get a lot of stressed customers and where the workload is extremely high. My team is fairly small, so say if somebody is off sick, we have to carry the workload between us...

I'm currently having trouble with a staff member, who supervises my floor. I feel often like she singles me out.

For example, I was doing online training the other day and she bought two customers along to me. I told her I was doing training, that they should see somebody else (as a lot of people were free), but she brought them over and just put their appointment cards on my desk leaving me to deal with it, meaning I couldn't get training done.

She always comes to me... I'm not joking. And the things she makes me do would take her just a few minutes to do herself. I have a bust back to back diary, but not everybody else does...

One time she got me in my lunchbreak and started telling me how my 1:30pm appointment was there waiting for me and I had gone on my lunch. I argued that I had no 1:30pm appointment but naturally, I was wrong. So I left my lunch early to find somebody who missed yesterday's appointment and who I told to come in before 1pm sitting there.

She could have asked another collegue to see him.

Today she got angry, saying I shouldn't have gone on my lunch because I had people to see... But I had already run 30 minutes in to it and the people who turned up were late and missed their appointments.

Procedure is that if you're late and miss it, you wait, as we are entitled to lunch break and I would have had no other rest today (as I didn't have another break). I was also covering somebody else's diary, so need a break...

I told a colleague today and he said that she's a strong woman and I'm quite 'reasonable' and he thinks she reads this as vulnerability... I usually just do things and don't argue... I don't mind doing a bit of extra work and it's unfair on customers to be flinging them from colleague to colleague.

The fact is I am hard working, but I am working my way in to the ground. I'm just stressed and unhappy at the moment and she is always at me...

But I don't know how to tell her to lay off me because I am starting to wonder if she's taking the piss or something...

I don't want trouble, but I do want to be able to do my work effectively and I do want the workload to be shared...

What do I do?

Comments

• Options
    Either you just do your thing, like stay in lunch break, because you know you are in the right, so I'd take my chance and wouldn't let myself be pushed around. Of course the first time you always give in, but if this persists you just have to persist on your rights.

If worse comes to worse take a dump on her desk when she's out and look for a new job.
  • Options
    Personally I think you should challenger her, like when she next brings someone over to you and you're busy then tell her you won't do it and suggest what she should do i.e she should ask John to do it as he seems free at the moment.

It sounds like she knows you will do it without arguing so she is taking advantage, it's probably the easy option to ask you to do it as she knows what the others will say if she asks them. You should remind her of the law as you should not be expected to work through lunch, especially to help those that failed to keep to their appointment times. In fact I would suggest that she toughens up to the people that turn up late because if they keep getting away with it they will keep doing it!
  • Options
    May I suggest that you keep a diary with dates, times, descriptions of incidents and, preferably, names of witnesses to the incidents. If this is ever escalated, such as an unfair dismissal or a you are brought to task on a performance issues, you have everything written down to assist your defence.

Have you had a look at your company's grievance procedures? You may find that there is some useful information to help you in there.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    May I suggest that you keep a diary with dates, times, descriptions of incidents and, preferably, names of witnesses to the incidents. If this is ever escalated, such as an unfair dismissal or a you are brought to task on a performance issues, you have everything written down to assist your defence.

Have you had a look at your company's grievance procedures? You may find that there is some useful information to help you in there.

Good advice. Also, depending on the size/nature of your company, they may have a formal Anti-harassment and Bullying Policy. If so, there may be an informal route to resolving this issue without resorting to a Grievance. Often a person exhibiting bullying behaviour will not have realised the effect their behaviour is having. In any event, one of the first steps towards any resolution would be to talk to the supervisor frankly about the distress her behaviour is causing you. If you have a sympathetic workmate, most anti-harassment policies would advocate taking someone along to the meeting as a witness to the discussion. Though, if you do take someone with you, it is important that they remain an impartial witness rather than become embroiled in the dispute.
  • Options
    Hi Namaste :wave:

It can be really hard when you get a clash of personalities at work - when someone's working hard and is happy to help out if someone's off ill (like you are :) ) it can unfortunately be easy for others to take advantage of that good nature. Have a look at our section on assertiveness for some tips on how to best express your thoughts and concerns to your supervisor. If you feel like you're being bullied at work though, Acas offers confidential advice about workplace issues over the phone, maybe you could have a chat with them? The number is 08457 474747.

It sounds like you've got a really good attitude towards your work and customers so it's a real shame that this is being exploited. Good luck and keep us updated!
  • Options
    I've just been talking about this in an ethics lecture, we were told the way to deal with people like this is to be completely honest with them and tell them that youre not happy with the way they're dealing with you....it's really hard to do but it will totally throw them off balance. I've never actually done this myself but aparrantly it works.
  • Options
    I have been reading on assertiveness, the drama triangle and the fact that women who are tough and who act masculine and are pushy earn more than those of us who are more chilled...

Tbf, the past couple of days I haven't had much hassle. But then I have changed my ways... For example, if I go on lunch I say to her I have checked my diary, I have no more appointments, anybody who turns up is late and can wait. So hopefully no more trouble then...

Maybe if I look more stern too lol:p

I have an assessment coming up. I wanna bring up that the medical team said they are to go easier on me because I have a learning difficulty/disability, but am scared I will be kicked off the team because I am a liability. I have trouble with training in a busy room for example...
  • Options
    thats really good that things are starting to get easier and youre being more assertive. Its great to hear its had such a quick effect. well done